1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hmm isnt that what is capela being paid?

imho wood has a lot more qualities than Capela and a player that is lot harder to find than capela...(except if you think capela is overpaid)

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I would rather keep Wood (or Woods as you call him) than take Simmons.

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This!! I get so tired of the "TRADE WOOD" threads. it's ridiculous! You have a young big who has NEVER played a full season of NBA Basketball and who is still DEVELOPING. He just turned 26, he does not have any ware and tare, compared to AD, who's 28 but looks like he's in his mid 30's.

Wood may play into his late 30's if he stay healthy, because he's just getting started.

Jayzers_100 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Capela rates much higher as a rebounder and defender to me, and he did play a nice role on an ECF team, so I understand why Atlanta rewarded him

we are a bad team set to have major cap space soon and will need to re-sign our young guys…I don’t want to waste money on a C-Wood max

jcmoon, harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  5. ilias

ilias Member

Fair question. Indeed, his numbers may justify a max contract for some teams. I suppose, I’d like to see a larger body of work. Can he produce these numbers over a full season while staying on the court for ~2,500 minutes? Do we know for sure what his best position is and who is a good fit next to him? Right now, I’d feel more comfortable with a John Collins contract level, but really hope he changes my view over the next two seasons.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd trade Wood if Silas would start Sengun in his place.

GOOGOOMECHUCK and hakeem94 like this.
  7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Hard Pass.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wood will only be a cap hold when Rockets have cap space so he won't affect ability to sign major free agent or hinder ability to sign other players too much. I am not sure why having a big that leaves room for the guards to work and is a good pick and roll/pop option is a problem.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

With all due respect…
    But you had no issue with Denver giving MPJ the max.

Who’s better, CWood or MPJ?

ramotadab likes this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wood isn't worth the max but we don't need to do anything until next summer. Offer him an extension around 20 a year if he declines then he's traded.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

LOL, please tell me where I said I had no issue with a max for MPJr when my 1st post in that very thread said this…

“he needs to do more than score on assisted buckets while providing little of anything else to be worth that”

what I had issue with is u thinking that Ben Simmons is worth MPJr plus 3-4 1st round picks

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That’s fair. I really was talking ish with the 3-4 picks and admitted hyperbole.

Reeko likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

His cap hold will be around 21 mil right? If we’re keeping that hold just to offer him a max deal then I’m honestly good on that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

After one preseason game we think his fit is off? Seems like a knee-jerk reaction. He'll be fine. I do think Simmons would be a great fit for this team. But his contract is a problem. We've already got a contract problem with Wall.

Also, his name is Wood, not Woods.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Like it or not Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr will be angry and disgruntled by trading away one of the best Big Men in Christian Wood.

He is a very rare Stretch Big Man. A Athletic Stretch Four that can shoot, dribble, create on his own is rare.

Over time this will become really bad.

Look at Zion Williamson how disgruntled he is by losing Lonzo Ball in Free Agency.

Joel Embiid is angry Jimmy Butler is gone.
    Resign Christian Wood at a decent deal.
    Keep the Stars happy.

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

do you think middleton or jrue holiday are worth max?

17. TimDuncanDonaut

A player can still be good for a team, without being an Olajuwon.

He's our current best player. If a right deal drops in lap, one can listen, this is for everyone on the team, but I wouldn't just go out and shop him.

As for Al P, playing time. Theis's spot if Theis gets injured or when Rockets feel Al is ready.

Brooks/Christopher are guards, Wood is not the issue for their playing time.

Players growing together is fine. Not everyone has to be 19 or 20 on the roster to do so. I'm not saying Wood is our Christian savior (pun intended), but he is the best guy on the roster. You don't just give it away unless the person you're getting in return is a sure bet.

If Wood is not worth the max, Stone won't offer it when the time comes. Once Wall is off the books, there's more opportunities.

#57 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  18. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

We no have no WoodS on this team. Only Wood. One rock solid piece of Wood.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

“The teams that find the Christian Wood, not the ones that pay them the max, are the ones that succeed long term.”

jcmoon and GOOGOOMECHUCK like this.
  20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Trade him ASAP.

If you like him on this team then just sign him back in free agency in two years.

He could bring back tremendous value right now. I'd be looking at Kuminga.

Verbal Christ likes this.