1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Based on how we run our offense, the defense is going to dictate the open shot opportunities to be hi. They’d rather hes shoot it than Green KPj wood or whoever is at sf

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i just realized his name is pronounced like [thighs] after watching the preseason highlight. i thought it was like [thees]

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Theis is a good defender but he is not elite.

Garuba has more upside.

Rockets are going to struggle with defending guards IMO.

But agree with Lachard, the defensive communication was a challenge especially with starting 5.

The best iso defenders, switchers and communicators on team are on 2nd Unit.

This has always been Silas problem, how to balance his rotations so the 1st and 2nd units are not so 1 dimensional.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s actually pronounced the is

Jontro likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

no hablo spangeli

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut and Easy like this.
  7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

In German (and Dutch) an "ei" is pronounced as a y (like in why). And "ie" is pronounced as ee (as in Threes).
    It is always really funny to hear American pronounce their last name that is clearly Dutch/German in nature. Like Hoiberg (which is Haystack in dutch).

Shark44, hakeem94, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Those 3's he took were wide open looks - He's got to take those .... and hopefully make a decent percentage. That's the basis of the offense and opens up literally everything else.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Theis is a decent stop gap starter on a re-building team. He will end up a 12 minute a night role playing big in a year or two. I think we are set in the back court for years to come. We will need some more bulk and height at some point to be a contender. Maybe Sequin can be that guy, but he really could use another inch or two and 20/25 pounds. I think Wood will be extended in 2 years for less than max, but could also be used as trade bait along with picks for a big-time big to go with KPJ and Green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here it is ladies and gentleman, If Sengun was 1 inch taller, we'd be set for years to come.

The absurdity is palpable.

Bo6 likes this.
  11. ilias

ilias Member

I like Theis as a role player and as a mid-level contract we can use in trades, but still feel giving him a 3rd guaranteed year was a bad decision. That 3rd year could cost us a SRP to offload, and at worst some extremely valuable 2023 cap space if we are unable to shed his contract. The Sengun/ Garuba picks made the need for a stop-gap big even smaller. We are now going to have a situation where Theis will be eating minutes away from Sengun who is already the better player and needs the playing time to develop.

juanming and CHAMPBOY like this.
  12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

We need a guy like Thies right now to do the dirty work and play hard.
    We dont need a DMo situation with Sengun.
    Young guys need time to develop his body.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is a Stone problem that he has a year or 2 to fix. I think he needs to see what he has before he tries balance fit.

14. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Dream was undersized too. It's all about skillz

hakeem94, RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'm sorry but Sengun is better than him in every single aspect other than hair loss.

it's too bad we didn't resign Kelly O instead because I'd be very entertained by a KellyO/Sengun frontcourt.

Mr.Scary, pippendagimp and Jontro like this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

Everyone is worried and talking about Sengun when it’s Garuba that is missing out. Everytime Garuba gets playing time positive things happen. The best pairing skill set was is Sengun & Garuda now and long term. (Garuba is hitting the 3 ball as well as any of the other rookies) Garuba is the one Thies is taking time from not Sengun. Why put him and Christopher in the G league? IMO, Forget the g league and work with our youth in real time against real league talent. If one is learning new skills then use g league, otherwise it prolongs the process, ie Green still needs time to develop. Plus Garuba already started on a better team than ANYTHING the G League can offer.

Sengun & Garuba are better than Wood & Thies, now and in the future. The rookies play with more heart, have more talent, & higher BB-IQ, IMO.

#516 fattz, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    juanming and dfbreyes like this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Daniel Theis.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

why do you wanna pinch daniel thees?

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I agree, I do not know why people like Theis, I have completely jumped off the Theis's bandwagon. He is not physical, not a rebounder and he made most of his shot on dunks that were broken coverage. Sengun, is a better passer and rebounder i do not know what Theis do, I wish we would have signed Kelly back

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

from the 1st page

after having watched a lot of BOS games

he was the weakest link on that team by far and their fans were ecstatic when he got moved

D-rock likes this.