1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

So there really isn't any chance we will be able to sign Correa back?

2. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

I just heard a rumor we're signing him to a seven year deal.

phasors28, right1, desihooper and 2 others like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I like your enthusiasm

Stephen66 and desihooper like this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm liking this post purely as a way to reverberate this positive energy into the universe.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Never say never. I wonder how much winning another ring here would effect how much and how long of a contract Astros are willing to give.

6. HeyBudLetsParty

I think if he signs open market he’ll get 10/300 like Manny Machado. Have seen a ton of crazy figures thrown out but ultimately he’s just below the tier of Ohtani, Trout, Tatis, Vlad type mega stars. Hope we offer him at least 7/210 and if he chooses to go for more years of guaranteed security you can’t blame him. Athletes only get one or two chances at big contracts and Correa has given us everything he could.

For what it’s worth I’m still optimistic he’ll have a one on one closed door meeting with Crane after winning a title this year and they’ll come to an agreement. Also have hope Kate Upton will leave Verlander for me, once she sees my Dms.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

8. the shark

the shark Member

Hopefully he looks at everything and not just the total $ he's offered.

Texas no state income tax
    *With Yankees he'd have state and city taxes

Cost of living

His wife is from Texas and her family is still here.

He's best friends with McCullers.

The rest of his boys on the team (Yuli, Altuve, Bregman etc).

The organization he came up with.

Opportunity when he retires to have a statue out front of Minute Maid like Baggy & Biggio.

Chance to win more rings with his boys.

Playing on a team that's positioned well to make the playoffs for the foreseeable future (he likes the playoffs and it's the biggest stage)

How much $ value does he put on all of this or is he just going to go to the highest bidder?

Personally I think he's gone but let's see how it plays out. Would be nice to win one more ring with the 'Stros!!!

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m all for this. Making the most money possible at the right time is one thing… but being a legacy and franchise icon for a team/city doesn’t come around too often, and you can’t really put a price on that status (nor can it be presumed for any current Astro other than Altuve).

However, has any athlete… or anybody period… come out and said publicly that the cost of living and no state income taxes influenced their decision to play/live in Texas?

I know WE always mention it as a selling point… and I’m sure their accountants probably bring it up if they’re on the fence between a Texas market and some place else… I just don’t think in reality it ends up moving the needle.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think he leaves.
    I think that sucks.
    I think this current season may likely be the best year he will ever have.

Phillyrocket and MoMobley like this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You have Grienke and Verlander coming off the books. No excuse not to keep a 27 year old foundational piece. Pretty lame of they let him go.

12. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

F, Correa, as soon as he has his Lindor 10 year 35 + year contract he will revert to basically a less healthy slightly better bat than Adam Everette. I offer him 28m a year 7 years at max and if he signs with Detroit for 10/35 I will ask Hinch if he is stupid enough to give us their top prospects for Altuve. They might get to the was the first couple years, but we will take it over again after that with way less payroll and able to get an ace pitcher or two along the way. It's all about us showing loyalty, but with the players they could care less, they are just greedy and ea t it all with no guarantees.

13. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

F, Correa and his greedy butt. We are loaded with minor league ss talent. As soon as we sign him to a 35m x 10 year contract he will be hurt half the year a d lucky to hit .250.

14. Elienator

Elienator Member

If he wants 10 years, that's the excuse. I don't think the annual salary will be the issue.

15. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

Exactly! He is only playing for a big long term contract. F, the Astros...all talk about love and commitment. Guarantee us fans he will do as well....No f'ing way. Only us fans have to guarantee anything$$$$$/

16. Elienator

Elienator Member

Why would you offer slightly better Adam Everett 7 years at $28 Million?

Very few players are in the position to get paid like Carlos, and he's been underpaid dramatically to this point. I don't blame him for trying to get his while the getting is good. MLB owners aren't getting taken advantage of here. Carlos has been about as classy as I think he could be given the situation.

YOLO likes this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is a very important point. When I recruit powerful businessmen to work for me, a key consideration is often the desires of the wife and kids... and schools and proximity of family members. Daniella Correa Rodriguez is pregnant currently and her family is from Laredo. She'll want to be close to her family with a baby (especially the first one)... and while Laredo is not close, at least it's drivable. She won't want her man on the road being tempted by IG models while she is at home changing diapers and breast feeding. And she won't want to move with a baby. Good setup for a hometown Astros discount.

Unfortunately, the other side of the argument is that Correa can distance himself from the sign-stealing stigma by contributing to the success of another team. Not sure if he's more of a family man or more concerned about his personal brand. If it's the former, then we are in good shape.

the shark and jim1961 like this.
  18. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

I hope not unless a really team friendly contract. As soon as he signs his 35m/ 10 year contract he will resort to a half year playing, barely a better hitter than Adam Everrett type player. I tell you all if we sign him to an albatross contract we will be irrelevant for year's to come. Why take the chance when we our farm system is ss heavy in talent. Let Correa take his Lindor greedy ass elsewhere. Correa worships Lindor because Lindor totally ripped the Metts off and that is what Correa wants to do to the Astros

19. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

He is the team captain, but I don't trust him with our future especially how he worships lindor who seriously ripped off the Mets. We have ss talent that can be better working toward a big contract than a ss that already had one. I let Citrea walk to the Tigers and then trade them an aging Altuve for their top 4-5 picks.

20. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

Detroit all day long. They need a captain ss.
    I'd trade them Altuve to go with him and the 60 million we save left I'd give Verlander 20m and another ace 30m.