1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Sopranos

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B-ball freak, Mar 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

David Chase should’ve done the right thing and made this guy the lead in the movie. Even got the heavy breathing down pat...

2. i3artow i3aller

Looks like Tony did have the makings of a varsity athlete after all.
    [​IMG]

Yung-T likes this.
  3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've probably seen the entire series at least three times and I was really disappointed in the movie. It just seem disjointed. And without spoiling it, I'll just say that there were major problems with the storyline around Dickie's mistress.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Same. I didn't have much expectations but was intrigued at any young Tony storyline where Galdolfini's son is playing him.

In the end, he wasn't really a main focus/character. Way too many forced easter eggs. And most importantly, there was pretty much no story. Was expecting a lot more context/content, but there wasn't really anything there. Other than having the younger version of everybody there.... where the actors are playing characatures of those characters based on what they saw on the TV show, there was nothing notable.

I actually thought the Breaking Bad post-quel was better done... albeit that also really didn't serve much purpose or reveal anything new.

OmegaSupreme and Yung-T like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been re-watching and am almost through Season 1.

1. I don't remember 95% of this show, it's almost like a new show to me
    2. I'm enjoying all of the 'old' **** they do and talk about
      1. DVDs
      2. CDs
      3. Laser Discs
      4. Blockbuster Video
      5. Pagers
      6. Smoking in bars, restaurants, etc
      7. Most people aren't fat
      8. People are much less angry and much more friendly, even in NJ in a mob show
    3. It's held up well and I'm enjoying it. Some of the shots and techniques are dated but it's not bad.

Ubiquitin, Deckard, ryan_98 and 2 others like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Am rewatching the series as well. Just finished season 1. Lot of psychology topics / themes. Gandolphini also do long monologues (which I like).

The Saints with Newark dragged for me, despite the abrupt end at the end, I think TV shows is still David Chase's better work.

Deckard and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  7. dc rock

I’m re-watching it and it’s hard not to think about James Gandolfini being dead because so much of the show is about death. Not just whackings, but multiple characters get cancer or other illnesses, die in car accidents, etc. There’s also one point where Christopher tells Tony something like “you keep eating like that and you’ll have heart attack by the time you’re 50” and Gandolfini died of heart attack at 51.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So here's a question: for someone that NEVER saw The Sopranos (didn't have HBO back in college) would you recommend watching this new movie and starting the series....or vice versa? I would go into this not having any expectation for the movie but the show has been revered by many so I don't think I'll be underwhelmed by it.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I never watched this show, but I wanted to participate and say I was watching an old episode of the Jeffersons and a guy on there had me cracking up in his role in a mental asylum. I looked up who he was (George Loros), and he apparently had a role on the Sopranos.

That's all I got.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Probably the birth of good modern drama television as we know it. Shows like Breaking Bad and True Detective owe The Sopranos for blazing the way. It’s not a perfect show but it’s damn good. Be aware that there’s lots of racism, probably carbon copied from real Italian/gangster older generational cultural biases.

11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I rewatched it earlier this year. IMO it's the best show of all time and many critics agree. I honestly think Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc pale in comparison

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would preface my remarks by saying all art is subjective. People like what they like and it is nether right nor wrong, even if your favorite song is Friday by Rebecca Black. I think Rome and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are the best shows of all time and Game of Thrones and the Wire are at least on par with the Sopranos, but it is certainly one of my favorite shows of all time.

13. Xerobull

I wanted to say there are limits on subjectivity, but if you look at what absolute garbage art NFTs are selling for crazy money, I can't disagree.

https://opensea.io/rankings

14. Xerobull

15. Xerobull

Closing in on the end of Season 4.
    • This show has more than held up since it first came out. I would say it's aged amazingly and was revolutionary for it's time. The subtle character work blows me away.
    • Paulie is my favorite character. His little personality quirks and idiosyncrasies crack me up.
    • Adriana is one of this girls you see and think 'how incredibly hot would she be if she wasn't a chain smoker?'
    • James Gandolfini was an absolutely amazing actor.

#35 Xerobull, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My suggestion is to watch the original series from start to finish (it's brilliant, in my opinion) and then decide whether to spend your time with this "prequel" thingy. Don't let the movie influence how you view the series. Watch the series first!

17. dc rock

18. Xerobull

I'm all for this, I mean, old-school gangster stuff never gets old, but to be honest, I'd like to see a modern mafia show and see how they get away with their crimes and scams in present day big brother America.

19. Xerobull

Just finished my rewatch. Much better and more poignant to me now as opposed to me 15-20 years ago.

#3 on the GOAT list behind Breaking Bad and season 1 of True Detective.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is the best episode of the show? I am slowly making my way through the series.