1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins joins Rockets broadcast team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 30, 2021.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seriously what the **** is possessing these basement dwellers to think color commentator means skin pigment. You're giving color to the broadcast, whereas the PBP guy is the dry black-and-whtie statements. (Did I offend with 'black and white'?). It's a metaphor.

It's like in comedy where you have a straight man. It doesn't mean heterosexual. It also doesn't even mean male. It's a role play metaphor.

We should be celebrating having diversity on our broadcast crew, all that matters is that they are all competent.
    It's time to go outside and get some culture, internets.

harold bingo and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  3. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Bullard was inciteful and had an open minded approach but he would speak up about bad calls and I know the league didn't like the frequency.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ryan Hollins will be alright he’ll be goofy like Bullard.

Why ppl are even talking about the color of his skin or diversity is crazy. Who cares. You should be calling him a fool and he is gonna be garbage or that you like him and think he’ll be good.

personally I think him and Craig will be by far the funniest commentators in the league. Trying some comedy during the games should be interesting.

BonziWellsGOAT and napalm06 like this.
  5. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah idk man. People forget that words have several uses and connotations. I was going nuts reading some of the comments

napalm06 likes this.
  6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We s
    We should be doing backflips in happiness to have acquired a national broadcaster in Hollins. Trust me there wasn’t a line of quality broadcasters lining up for the great privilege of being Craig Ackerman’s sidekick. Hollins is much, much better than Bullard, so let’s just be happy with that for now.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

You're saying there's more to his "firing"? I highly doubt it personally, since Bullard was just not good after years of the same corny jokes, whining and it just got too stale. I do have to say he fit with Craig, but just didn't bring that distinguishing voice nor brought anything new. He is who he is and it was time for a change. I could see myself missing him after a while given Hollins' lack of charisma, ties to the team etc. I mean Vernon freaking Maxwell offered to do it....how can you say no? If he gets out of line regarding Utah, then deal with it, but don't just dismiss him for fear of some colourful language.

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope so man. I said it in my other post but my only exposure to him is from those dumbass shows so it's probably not representative of what he's really like or what he really thinks. Definitely going to give him a chance and hoping to be surprised.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i love this. hes entertaining.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

his takes aren't bad at all. giannis is overrated IMO.... he doesn't close games and if it weren't injury it would have been another 2nd round exit.

11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Okay, okay, enough of the BS. It all comes down to money. Bullard is a very good Rockets Legacy commentator and he is probably not going to get what's owed to him because of you know why with Ferttita and his budget and all. It just means fans that are accustomed to Matt and Bill are going feel alienated and that would possibly hurt some ratings.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep... hes one of the best to me..surely sometimes he is wrong but who isnt?

everybody makes mistakes but hes well spoken, quick thinking, very intelligent, bold, courageous, passionate!

I applaud this hiring!

icewill36 and B-Bob like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What?? The list of people who wanted to have this spot is a mile long I’m sure. It’s one of the best and most secure positions in sports. You are home half of the season, only have to be on camera for about 5 minutes of the broadcast, and the play by play guy is the quarterback of the production. Your only job is to talk about basketball and the job requires that you don’t get too deep.

Basically every former professional athlete in Houston wanted this job. So many former nba players retire here that there is a wealth of personalities. Why the need to pick off of an ESPN D lister who has no ties to Houston I really don’t know.

But… I’m going to give him a chance and see what kind of chemistry he builds with Craig. At least we were lucky enough to have him back.

DCkid likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. A surprise and underwhelming selection.

16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I love max but I think he would have spent half his time talking smack about the jazz

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly!

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Because he's not a former Rocket, he won't be a homer. Unless someone with authority is in his ear telling him to shill for the Rockets.

I'm hoping he'll turn out to be opinionated, but also impartial and great - like a JVG.

kdchilds likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From listening to the Cayleigh and Wexler interviews, looks like Ryan really is as hyper as I remember him on Sirius. lol. Between Ackerman and him, this could be one crazy broadcast season if they both are going off on the broadcast.