1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never eaten at Killen's, but while at a Buc-ee's I noticed an assortment of various bbq rubs, and Killen's was one. I decided to buy it and try it on some ribs, but I like sweeter ribs. The Killen's rub was actually a lot more spicy than I thought it would be. I love really spicy and hot foods, but not bbq. Is their bbq spicy or did I get a weird batch of their rub? It wasn't crazy hot or even hot, but it just seemed spicy for a commercial rub. It had a lot of other flavors in it and a bit of sweetness, too. Maybe they dump a lot of black pepper into it. Dunno.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What are you? A millennial?! :D

3. Buck Turgidson

Sometimes, there's a man...well, he's the man for his time and place.

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I’m with you on not liking spicy/hot for bbq. Killen’s has excellent ribs, but I’m no rib connoisseur. It’s has a mellow sweetness, like what you’d get from using an apple juice/vinegar spritz. So maybe if what they sell as rub is what they use, and you found it to be spicy, then they are adding the sweetness in a spritz throughout the smoking??

As for their brisket, I’ve gone four times and was in the first 5 in line each time. I think they lean on wrapping, too much. And I’m pretty convinced it’s only Salt/Pepper. I find it to have too much pepper flavor, and too much of a roast/braised flavor vs smoke, which I attribute to wrapping (causing a brisket to steam too much). So, Killen’s is in a class of not smokey enough, which is a shame. It photographs well though. :)

I never wrap. I don’t know how that became a thing over the last ten years. I blame it on the internet. I mean, we used to call it a crutch. It provides consistency (wrt juiciness and tenderness) and ability to time briskets for lunch-runs and parties better, but at the expense of braising the meat. As we all know, smoke can be your enemy, and over smoking is bitter; but man ... don’t sacrifice smokiness (the essence of brisket).

seriously, is it just me, or have restaurant briskets lacking proper smoke flavor increased over last 10 years. If I were to chart two data over time (smokey to juicy), they’d be inverse — juiciness is on the rise, but smokiness is falling.

I’m going to ask JCDenton to make a graph for me

#1964 heypartner, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    bigdaddy, Buck Turgidson and basso like this.
  5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do you wrap ribs?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I only do brisket and pulled pork. I thought wrapping while in the smoker was only for brisket to help you through the stall?

tinman likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Wrapping is actually more common with pork ribs to prevent them from drying out. 3-2-1 method.

leroy, Buck Turgidson, basso and 2 others like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Need to go to kileens
    It’s been awhile

9. basso

Supporting Member

i need to go watch Franklin’s vids again, but I believe he wraps ribs, and pork butt as well.

10. Buck Turgidson

He uses uncoated (very important!) butcher paper on his brisket. Traps juices while still being breathable and letting out steam, so the bark doesn't get soggy.

Not sure what he does with his pork, but I haven't noticed a big difference between paper and foil on butts and ribs, unless you want unsauced "dry" ribs, then I'd go with paper.

11. basso

Supporting Member

he uses foil on the butt.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. basso

Supporting Member

13. basso

Supporting Member

franklin wraps ribs:

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is what I do. Usually use butcher paper with a spritz of apple cider vinegar before I close them up.

basso likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Have any of you tried Brahman cattle? Specifically the hump? They're around Texas, but it's not like this cut would be all that common. Cupim/the hump seems to be popular in Australia and Brazil. Roel/Pitmaster X acts like he's died and gone to heaven after eating it.

Blake, Buck Turgidson and basso like this.
  17. basso

Supporting Member

that looks insane. where would you buy this? i remember seeing Brahman cattle around Texas as a kid, but i'm not sure what they're raised for.

the salsa is a great idea.

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

They are given the nod for better tolerance of heat & humidity compared to cattle breeds of European origin.

basso and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Yep, especially popular in South Texas. They don't typically make the greatest beef outside of that cut mentioned earlier, bad marbling. Brangus (Brahman and Angus crossbreed) is good stuff, you get the best of both worlds: climate/pest tolerance and good quality beef.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now up to $30/lb.... :eek: