1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins joins Rockets broadcast team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 30, 2021.

1. HardenVolumeOne

ryan hollins was one of the few guys to go to bat for james harden when he was at espn

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The only thing I know about this gentleman is the vids posted on twitter of him getting bullied by Max Kellerman. :(

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes

Mario Elie playing an "unspecified role"

saleem likes this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Outdated? The term "color" has nothing to do with race or anything of the sort. It's basically an adjective for adding texture or serving as a supplement to the PBP call.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm wondering if that's just because he could get a job as an assistant coach or something and run off.

I also don't get why the color guy has to be an ex-Rocket. I mean Clyde was so awesome and added so much to broadcasts. *big eyeroll*. And I loved Matt Bullard, but good Lord, by the end of his term on the Rockets' broadcasts, I thought he was auditioning for an intern position in Morey's analytics department with the rudimentary stats he'd try to inject into any commentary whether appropriate or not. Everything coming out of his mouth was a stat.

Hollins may end up being horrible, but I'm not judging him on ESPN "hot take" appearances. As long as he's well-spoken, knows basketball, and isn't trying to be a clown all the time, I'm good. I'm just hoping the ESPN him isn't the real him. If he sucks doing the broadcast, get rid of him. The following from Hollins (courtesy of Jonathan Feigen and the Houston Chronicle) is good enough for me for now :

“That championship Hakeem won, Houston was the team that made me fall in love with basketball,” Hollins (now 36 years old) told Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle. “As a little boy, to look up and say, ‘Who’s that?’ Me and my dad watched that championship. ‘Dad, who is that? What’s a 2-pointer? What’s a 3-pointer?’ I learned the game of basketball watching the Rockets win a championship. Now, it’s come full circle to have the opportunity to be one of the voices of the Houston Rockets. An average, everyday kid has an opportunity like this.”

saleem, Deuce, RasaqBoi and 1 other person like this.
  7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Everyone deserves a fair shot.

He's probably good at what he does to get to that level, just didn't care for those takes on ESPN.

Going in with an open mind.

8. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Wow, Ryan Hollins has nothing to do with Rockets history plus he came of as a a extreme hot take kind of guy at ESPN, don’t know if he was just playing a role or not but he gave some pretty ridiculous takes. Maybe he’s different as a commentator though so I’ll try to give him a shot but honestly I’m not to high on him

saleem likes this.
  9. Mattician

Mattician Member

Would've at least preferred a former Rocket.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Good too see Mario back also. Very high bball IQ

saleem likes this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man I really do not like Ryan Hollins. Then again all those guys on the hot take shows are just spouting nonsense trying to be the next Skip or Stephen A, so we probably don't know anything about the real Ryan Hollins. Maybe he's a good commentator. I hope so for our sake.

saleem likes this.
  12. BonziWellsGOAT

It has the word color so it must be racist? Lmfao some of these takes man...

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you saying it’s an off-color term?

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And he got here just in time for most Rockets fans to hate Harden. Dude can't win.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. HardenVolumeOne

i dont know many true rockets fans who hate james harden

no rockets fan wants the worst record in the league, look at how quickly bill worrell, and everyone else left this organization as soon as morey and harden left. Rockets fans are used to cheering for winning teams, no the abomination that was last season

16. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I'd rather learn Spanish and listen to the espanol broadcast.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure what your argument is. The reason so many people around here hate him is because he forced an exit that left us no choice but to rebuild. So essentially the fact that we are so terrible is why they hate Harden.

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I suspect Ackerman/Bullard every night may have been too many Dad jokes. I also think they looked at the Demographics of the fan base and decided that they needed more diversity. Not very excited about this choice, but I’m sure I’ll warm up to it.

19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ima go on record, I like the hire. Yule c. Like the smart people have said, don't confuse hot take espn shows with what he has did other places. To me he a blk Matt Bullard.

harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It was time for a change. Wait and see approach - if he works hard he’ll do fine.