1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I guess Gary Sheffield Jr. has been living under the proverbial rock. What Draymond Green said isn't wrong but it's also from an individualistic/selfish POV, just like what Isaac said, what Beal said, etc. Is it selfish that you have your own beliefs and you want to exercise your own rights? No but the line is drawn when it comes to public safety and/or public health. These guys aren't like the rest of us. They don't work from home every day in front of a computer like I do. Their job requires them to be in a situation where physical contact will occur, their job requires them to be in a closed environment with thousands of people/strangers, and their job requires them to be in situations where they interact with people who aren't in the best of health conditions. That's the reality THEY--the NBA players--need to understand. This is kind of like a parallel to when Barkley's ad was deemed controversial because he stated he wasn't a role model. In his mind he's not a role model because a kid's role model should be their parents, their family, a teacher, etc and he's absolutely right but that's not the reality he or anyone else lived in. Whether he liked it or not, kids looked up to him and that is one of the cost of being a public figure / famous athlete.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Guilt trip aside, what if they have protection against Covid similar or even stronger than the protection the vaccines provide because they had and recovered from it?

Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

Would this hypothetical protection also help prevent the spread of COVID from one previously-infected individual to a non previously-infected individual? Because without being symptomatic there’s not real way to know whether or not you have had COVID without testing. And by that point if they tested positive now it becomes a question of how many people have they interacted with and who now might have COVID because of this individual?

I should mention that I’ve had COVID and most of the symptoms. My father in law almost died from it and my grandmother died last year because of COVID. So my view on these athletes stance on not getting vaccinated might be a bit skewed.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

The most common anti-vaccine sentiment is the idea that a vaccinated person is at risk from an unvaccinated person. That line of thinking can only imply that the vaccinated person doesn't have faith in the documented benefits on the vaccine.

People will make their choices, be they logical or illogical. Do what's best for you and your family.

7. JumpMan

I honestly don't know much about it in terms of the benefits one acquires from recovering from Covid, but in some countries recovering from Covid is acceptable as an alternate to getting the vaccine. I figure they must have a good reason for it. Also, the vaccine doesn't guarantee that you won't catch it and spread it, either. So, if it's true that recovery from Covid gives you similar or better protection from catching, spreading, getting seriously sick or dying from Covid as a vaccine does, then that should be as acceptable as a vaccine.

8. steddinotayto

Anyone thinking that the vaccine is a guarantee for anything is either ignorant to how this vaccine works or are too busy reading misinformation. I had covid thereby building up antibodies but that was back in November. I got both shots by this past April. Why? Because antibodies typically don’t last in your body for more than 6-8 months and also I am doing my part of the social contract to help prevent the spread of a virus that caused an entire pandemic. I have a family and two kids at home and also family members with health conditions that would wreck havoc on their body and could be potentially fatal.

9. JumpMan

Why are some countries accepting past Covid infections as a substitute for a vaccine? Why wouldn't you?

I don't follow Covid stuff besides skimming through discussions here and there isn't much talk on things like Covid immunity or Covid antibodies vs vaccines. There is talk of vaccine effectiveness wearing off after a while, but, besides the 6 to 8 months you just mentioned, nothing on how long Covid antibodies last. Is that time frame for virus antibodies in general or for Covid antibodies?

All I'm trying to do is learn about the differences between vaccines and antibodies, BTW.

10. steddinotayto

Are the countries you’re speaking of in a situation where they can provide/offer vaccination to all of its citizens? My assumption is that those countries you are referring to don’t have access to vaccines like Americans do so they have to hedge their bets on hoping that past COVID infections are enough. I’m all ears on learning more about this.

As for why it wouldn’t be “enough” for me? Have you had COVID and if so did you have any of the symptoms? If so you probably would know that’s not an experience you would like to have again or, worse, see your loved ones go through the same pain you went through.

it’s a crude analogy but if you’re a safe driver, your car has air bags, lane departure, brake assist, etc….why bother wearing your seat belt? The chances of you getting into a fatal car accident is pretty low but you still wear it right? “Well it’s the law”. …well why was it made into law in the first place? Because it’s been proven to lower the chances of fatality. Same way the COVID vaccine has been tested and shown to lower the chances of you getting COVID and/or the bad symptoms that goes with it. They never guaranteed it to be a life saver like how far manufacturers never guaranteed seat belts will stop you from getting killed in every single scenario.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's because he has been up all night putting the finishing touches on the final draft of his "research"

Congrats to Mr. Wiggins who is now demonstrably less idiotic than @Possum @Tfor3 @CVcrew and a bunch of other galaxy brained MAGA chuds here

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wiggins saw how much money he was gonna lose, and quickly concluded his “research” on the vaccine

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He's gonna spend all day trying to stick a magnet on his arm. Maybe in a few months he can tell all his little friends about how he didn't die from getting the shot.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL

17. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

(don't forget Andrew)

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The players only need one jab, or do they have to do the full dosage?

19. i3artow i3aller

How long until KyAnon has a change of heart?

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Good to see Wiggins "research" led him to an easy decision.