1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. dmoneybangbang

KPJ vs Westbrook

WS is 0.3 vs 6.1 second season.

Again... the 09 Thunder were much better than the 21 Rockets. But that's quite the gulf.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

My opinion. No. Terrible comparison, different position and role. And the numbers I posted would point to a good reason for the better per game offensive numbers by KPJ.

I don’t think by regular NBA standards that KPJ was good last year nor do I have a lot of faith that this coming season he’s going to breakout so huge that he’s going to make it hard for us to “tank”. BUT I’m extremely optimistic and excited about the high end potential KPJ flashed and think he should take another step towards being an impact guy this season.

3. dmoneybangbang

I agree with this, especially the bolded.

clos4life likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Talking "advanced stats" with a hectic tanking season of constant role change on a roster that kept churning all season long, where a player only played 800 minutes is....well, special.

I find it odd that certain people go out of their way to try and run down the best player on the roster.

Those posters will have to tell me what the crow tastes like in a few months.

Plowman likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't see many people running down Sengun!

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun isn't quite there yet. Give him a few years and maybe he overtakes KPJ as the best player on the Rockets.

clos4life likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Well certain posters wanted to compare KPJ to other all star point guards' second season..... seems like the answers weren't the reception that was hoped for.

8. bmd

bmd Member

For KPJ yo take the next step, he has to improve his free throw percentage and his 3 point percentage. He only shot 74% from the line and 31% from 3. As such, his TS% was only 52.8%.

He should get in the gym and shoot a gazillion free throws and 3’s, because he’s got the game.. he just needs to be more accurate.

CHAMPBOY and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the comparisons aren't apples to apples, they are invalid.

KPJ has less than a full season worth of minutes played, how many players in their first 2000 minutes have looked as impressive as KPJ did at times last season? How many have that kind of skillset?

Anyway, I hope you appreciate the crow.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  10. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

KPJ is the MVP of this Team.

Follow his lead.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I agree... That poster only wanted to look at his offensive game.

To the bolded, aside from the all star point guards that were compared earlier..... let's compare Darius Garland and KPJ..... Those two players ironically have very similar stats throughout their first two seasons. Where do you want to start?

Darius Garland: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garlada01.html

KPJ: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteke02.html

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scoot will be better than this guy.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Marcus Smart still doesnt know what hit him.

#613 D-rock, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Win Shares isn't a good indicator because it is derived from the amount of wins a team has. Westbrook had almost identical numbers in 11-12 and 12-13, but his WS jumps a ton because the team won 13 more games. A player putting up the same numbers on a team that only won 17 games would look quite different. There just aren't enough wins to allot credit for.

VORP might be a better gauge.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Which is what I mentioned but VORP also demonstrates there’s a gulf between KPJ and Westbrook.

Darius Garland and KPJ are two players from similar bottom teams and have very similar numbers. Which is all to say, KPJ is promising but is getting that overhyped fan treatment. It will be interesting to see what KPJ looks like at the end of the year.

Corrosion and theDude like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at. I hope KPJ makes a great leap in performance. He was a player that was young, turnover prone, and a poor defender that showed promise. Very hard to judge what a player will become from the environment that the Rockets had last year.

clos4life and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t think that’s exactly right.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

“Offensive Win Shares are credited to players based on Dean Oliver's points produced and offensive possessions.”

“Crediting Defensive Win Shares to players is based on Dean Oliver's Defensive Rating. Defensive Rating is an estimate of the player's points allowed per 100 defensive possessions”

The stat isn’t dependent on a teams record. It’s how a player performs during their possessions in a game.

Win shares is also a cumulative stat. Westbrook played ~500 minutes more in 12/13.

Also Westbrooks Assist % jumped 9% and his turnover % decreased by 1% in 12/13.

His basic per game numbers and individual scoring efficiency stayed relatively the same but his overall possession efficiency took a huge leap forward evidenced by the large assist and turnover % improvement. Add in the 500 extra minutes and the increase in Win shares makes a lot of sense.

I think the argument would be that it’s easier for a player to post a higher total WS on good team rather than a bad team. But the actual individual stat isn’t calculated by the number of wins that players team has.

#617 jordnnnn, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hope this isn’t true and he’s just joking at least about jalen I really hope jalen is 6’6

Not that it matters now but I hope he isn’t short doesn’t seem to appear short tho

D-rock likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I gotta say, people freaking out about whether Green is 6'6 or 6'5 has been one of my favorite parts of the offseason.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It was 6'6" or 6'4" .... get it right.... :D