1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord cutters, my new setup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 26, 2021.

1. what

what Member

Next level

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I advanced to master level cord cutting after getting Playboys in Braille.

No more onlyfan subs, but dem elbows sometimes be pointy.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but nothing can truly take the place of tv for iconic moments or highlights. As a pre-teen kid, I grew up staying up past my bedtime listening to KTRH and Gene Peterson/Jim Foley on a transistor radio under the pillows and blankets so my parents wouldn't bust me still awake. I used to listen to Tom Franklin, Jerry Trupiano, etc. and the Oilers on drives home from church. I listened to Gene Elston and Milo Hamilton and the Astros broadcasts. There's a kind of awesome about listening to the radio and imagining the action, but then you realize it's kind of all in your head and you're at the mercy of the broadcaster's ability to convey it to you.

I also don't think a radio broadcast will ever convey plays like Jordan's iconic dunks, Franco Harris' incredible ricochet catch for a TD run, etc. You'll always have your version of what happened as you think it happened based upon the pbp guy, but you won't be able to describe what actually happened to anyone. Gimme radio for nostalgia, but tv for reality.

Xerobull and Uprising like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Only a matter of time before he becomes a house cutter

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Live look at Juxtaposed and What

[​IMG]

GOOGOOMECHUCK and Mr.Scarface like this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Clearly photoshopped.

I wouldn't have any clothes on.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Might as well just read the newspaper.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm down to just a controller. No audio or visual outputs

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

For just doing CL and no GUI, it seems like some overkill on the hardware.

Is there something that you do that actually pushes the memory and/or CPU much at all?

Have you considered a dual boot setup with a recent GUI Linux since your hardware is up to the task?

10. what

what Member

It is a common misconception that the commandline doesn't require graphic acceleration. But the modern commandline is still a resource beast.
    There is a noticable difference when you put in a cheap graphics card, and the Intel onboard graphics, which I had to do when my openbsd install would no longer work with my rx460.
    I am sure there would be diminishing returns, if I put in the fastest graphics card.
    Also Linux has better graphic drivers for amd than for Nvidia so that might also be a factor.

Also, why would I dual boot when I prefer the commandline?
    Plus dual booting is the worst way of handling it in my opinion having to restart your system all the time, plus using grub vs the more simpler lilio.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

##

badcatowner# cat wants > /food
    -bash: /food: Permission denied

$ sleep 1.night.stand
    -bash: sleep: 1.night.stand: bad sleep interval
    # Need `enable -f $(which '*/usr/lib*/bash/sleep') sleep`

$ sleep one-night-stand
    sleep: invalid time interval ‘one-night-stand’
    Try 'sleep --help' for more information.

$ PATH=pretending! /usr/bin/which sense
    /usr/bin/which: no sense in (pretending!)

$ touch /bra
    touch: cannot touch ‘/bra’: Permission denied

$ man woman
    No manual entry for woman

$ %Vice-President
    -bash: fg: %Vice-President: no such job

$ %blow
    -bash: fg: %blow: no such job

$ mkdir yellow_pages; cat > yellow_pages
    -bash: yellow_pages: Is a directory

$ sh
    $ echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc
    GET A LIFE!

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Since my usage of computers is going to be different than your usage, I am not sure why the CL is a high priority.

Most To Least Used

Internet Browser
    Spreadsheet
    Play Music
    Text Editor
    Drawing/Graphics

After the initial install & setup is done for a program, I don't really deal much directly with the OS.

If I need to do something with a spreadsheet, I click on the spreadsheet program and then let it create a new file or
    open an exiting file.

I remember the past and having to deal more directly with the OS to get things done, but I can't say I miss those days.

What things are you doing that require so much work with the CL?

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Same here and I think radio is an experience all kids should have. How much fun was it staying up listening to the Rockets or Astros on west coast road trips? Or listening to blacked Oilers home games? Lol.

But I couldn’t do it as an adult. If I want to watch a game, I’ll watch a game. And especially now with HD.

I have SiriusXM streaming. I can stream from my phone (SiriusXM app) to my TV via Chromecast. Not knocking anyone - I’ve never once thought hey I have a season pass to all pro teams lol

The kid in me would go nuts. This is like when the internet came out and you didn’t have to wait until Sportscenter/late news to get scores. Or Broadcast.com lol

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Nice troll thread.

I also cut the cord recently. Traded in my gasoline-powered motor vehicle for a Shire Horse. Let me tell you I don't miss it. I rigged up a selfie-stick to the saddle and boom, GPS with my phone, and music, ALL IN ONE! Sometimes I can get podcasts too when the LTE is working well. Horse travel is so much better. I used to have back problems, and they're worse now, but I rarely even notice when I'm distracted by rain and lightning. Night riding is tough, especially on major highways, so I have to schedule my traveling each day, but can't beat the natural a/c when my Shire gets cruising at 25-30mph.

#74 STR8Thugg, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  15. what

what Member

So what you are saying is that your computer is just a boatloader for your browser?

Lol, j/k.

Anyway:
    first, the commandline doesn't require a mouse. This is a big consideration. Mice usage, and moving your hand from the keyboard to click on pooon is annoying as hell. And since I have the hhkb with topre switches, it is even better.

Second, the commandline is way faster than a gui. If, for example, I want to backup all of my files, a common task, I can create a script to do this with the command of backup and all I have to do is type that and it goes.
    If I commonly have to email a list of people, I can type mail $mylist document and everything is done. If I want to switch to a folder than is 8 deep in file structure, I can create an alias to do it and run 8 <enter>. There are literally thousands of these improvements but point is that you don't have to hunt for a mouse or figure out what Microsoft changed to get stuff done.

Third, the commandline is less distracting and the information comes to you. You control what is and isn't on the screen. There is a calming presence to a black screen.

Four, the overall speed of commands and performance is greatly increased when you don't have a gui bogging you down.

If I want to play music, I just type play file. I can randomize files with the shuf command. I can create variables which are playlists. I mean, anything you can do in a gui, can be done faster and with more control in the terminal. Other than, for example: graphics and video and if you really wanted to (I don't) you can even play video in the terminal, although this requires some gui tools.
    You can browse the internet in the shell, you can read and comment Reddit posts in the shell, you can post to Twitter in the shell and much more. You can even get an ESPN type game tracker for the NBA in the shell. You can communicate with people via IRC in the shell.

But if your computer is only a boatloader for your browser then, well.....

Anyway, I use my computer in many ways but the main thing is as a high-powered word processor.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. what

what Member

Using error codes, obviously this had to originate in fortune(6). Lol

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dat's some good apologetic reasoning.

18. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Beautiful post! @J.R. @tinman