1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord cutters, my new setup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 26, 2021.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

I've gone full cord cutting and I've removed all electronics in the house. Next step is reading by candle light.

CCity Zero and ryan_98 like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How you going to watch Gilmore Girls at 4k* over the radio?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bruh the printing press was the beginning of the end. You ain't a cord cutter unless you cut out books and forget how to read. It's what I did.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wait...if OP is going back to the 19th century with radio only....how the hell did he create this thread without using internet?

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Upgrading to the "newer" Google tv chromecast was a game changer. Finally an android tv device with usb-c, can connect just about anything to it like a PC. Plus, the ability to install any android apps.

pasox2 likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

has the user interface improved since 2019 for chrome cast? I was a fan until I got a Roku TV and found that to be easier to use.

7. VanityHalfBlack

I've been using free trials on streaming services for like 2 years now. No need to get cable at this point. So many ways you can work around some deals.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

steddinotayto likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, it all comes down to time vs money.

In your case, time > money

For me, I'd rather keep services and not change logins on every device every time I switch accounts. Plus, if a service isn't worth $5-10 a month, I won't use it anyway.

VanityHalfBlack and Uprising like this.
  10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This device didn't even come out till 2020, with a revamped google tv experience. They hit a home run with this device imo. It's way more than a chromecast with a remote.

11. steddinotayto

Thank you for that. I guess I've been living under a rock because all of that is brand new information to me and it looks like a real strong alternative to Roku. One of my worries with relying solely on Roku was the fact that I subscribe to YouTubeTV and its rocky relationship with Roku means that I could be without YTTV at any time so this gives me another option to look at.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I used to listen to Rockets games on the radio all the time when I didn't have cable. (Nowadays I use Reddit streams.) It wasn't much worse than watching it on TV, honestly, and it was free. I miss Gene and Jim.

13. what

what Member

This is what I am finding, although I think the radio is slightly better and is way more informative.
    The tv is going to show you the line of scrimmage, they will sometimes show replays, but then the color is always very boring and uninteresting.

I am honestly shocked at how good radio is. I was getting fed up with all of the commercials on tv ever 5 seconds, whereas radio doesn't have nearly as much.
    Radio is damn good.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

I've always found game commentators on the radio are superior to their TV counterparts. They have to not only discuss the game, but paint a picture for the listener.

body slam and Invisible Fan like this.
  15. steddinotayto

I know you've made your decision to go radio but if you ever have that itch, specifically for Monday night Football, I would suggest watching the Manning boys on ESPN 2. I started watching them in Week 2 and I love their commentary while the game is being played. Some of their guests have been meh (like Lebron last night) but I enjoy listening to them dissecting the play that just happened and what the QB was thinking. It's great stuff.

YOLO and Xerobull like this.
  16. Xerobull

Ex-pro-QBs make great commentators because of the deep understanding they have of the game. Tony Romo can call plays almost the instant they are happening because he was a pro QB.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's also pretty hilarious at times with the back and forth jabs

18. steddinotayto

Very true and I like Romo's commentary as well. It's a little bit different with the Manning boys though; they don't have to hold back as much because they're not the official broadcast commentators like Romo is. It's hilarious when a bad throw/play happens and you can see how pissed off Peyton is. Like you know he wants to say "Okay, Jalen that was a moronic throw". Eli is unintentionally hilarious because he'll make comments about the same poor throw/play and we all know Eli probably would have done the same thing when he was still playing.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was playing the audio only version of call of duty last night.

rhino17, Kevooooo and Xerobull like this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Bruh, just learn to read Braille. Eliminate the cost of the candle, the match(es), etc.

Just needs to be you, the book and total darkness.