1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

It is in every country not ruled by big pharma and a death cult of self depopulators!

Astrodome likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How so. This is an interesting topic to me, but I shut off covid news a long time ago.
    Pls elaborate

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You can do a t cell test to see if you have t cells that will protect against covid after you've been infected. A mild infection should produce a lasting immune response assuming you are healthy and not elderly from my understanding. That immune response from prior infection is generally stronger than from 2 shot vaccination. One vaccine shot and prior infection is without question much stronger protection from what I've seen. The EU and Israel will recognize that as full immunity. Two shots seem unnecessary and possibly produce excess side effects for people with prior infection. There was a long British Medical Journal article discussing it.

They aren't really suppressing anything. All this is pretty well known and researched. I think they've not so quietly indicated that they (they being the US govt and public health entities) aren't promoting prior infection as stronger than vaccines because they don't want the vaccine resistant to choose getting infected over getting vaccine shots.

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/nba-anti-vaxxers-covid-1231988/

[…]

This month, league officials caught a break: Two of America’s most progressive cities, New York and San Francisco, would require pro athletes to show proof of one Covid-19 vaccination dose to play indoors, except with an approved medical or religious exemption. Which meant that one of the NBA’s biggest stars — one known for being receptive to conspiratorial beliefs — would be under heavy pressure to get a shot. And if Brooklyn Nets superstar Kyrie Irving could be convinced to take the vaccine, then maybe, just maybe, the whole league could create a new kind of bubble together.

When asked directly about Irving’s vaccination status — or his plans to change it — multiple people familiar with his thinking declined to answer directly. But one confidant and family member floated to Rolling Stone the idea of anti-vaxx players skipping home games to dodge the New York City ordinance… or at least threatening to protest them, until the NBA changes its ways.

“There are so many other players outside of him who are opting out, I would like to think they would make a way,” says Kyrie’s aunt, Tyki Irving, who runs the seven-time All-Star’s family foundation and is one of the few people in his regular circle of advisors. “It could be like every third game. So it still gives you a full season of being interactive and being on the court, but with the limitations that they’re, of course, oppressing upon you. There can be some sort of formula where the NBA and the players can come to some sort of agreement.”

A spokeswoman for Irving declined to respond to a list of questions regarding his vaccination and playing status, and Irving did not immediately respond to a message from Rolling Stone. But as teams return to pre-season training camps next week, fifty to sixty NBA players have yet to receive a single vaccine dose, league sources tell RS. Most are considered merely reluctant skeptics. Some of the holdouts, however, amount to their own shadow roster of anti-vaxxers mounting a behind-the-scenes resistance to Covid protocols — and the truth.

Irving, who serves as a vice president on the executive committee of the players’ union, recently started following and liking Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims that “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect Black people to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” This Moderna microchip misinformation campaign has spread across multiple NBA locker rooms and group chats, according to several of the dozen-plus current players, Hall-of-Famers, league executives, arena workers and virologists interviewed for this story over the past week.

The league’s virus-hunters denied a religious-exemption request from a vaccine-denying player in San Francisco this weekend, lighting a powder keg on a combustible mix of race, religion, class and clubbing in a time of Covid, aimed at some of the most influential role models in America. General managers remain confident they can get superstars vaxxed by opening night. And in a concession to the Delta variant, all courtside players and personnel will be required to wear masks on arena benches and around practice facilities for the foreseeable future, Rolling Stone can reveal. According to near-final medical guidance outlined to RS on Saturday, however, unvaccinated players have forced the league to cave on nearly every other demand.

“The NBA should insist that all players and staff are vaccinated or remove them from the team,” NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar tells Rolling Stone. “There is no room for players who are willing to risk the health and lives of their teammates, the staff and the fans simply because they are unable to grasp the seriousness of the situation or do the necessary research. What I find especially disingenuous about the vaccine deniers is their arrogance at disbelieving immunology and other medical experts. Yet, if their child was sick or they themselves needed emergency medical treatment, how quickly would they do exactly what those same experts told them to do?”

Jonathan Isaac is known less by the average basketball fan for his play than for being that guy who stood up with his jersey on during the national anthem in the NBA bubble, while every other player on the court took a knee in a t-shirt declaring BLACK LIVES MATTER, amid a global reckoning on race and police killings. “I’m not going to sit here and point my fingers at one group of people,” Isaac, who is Black, tells RS. “I would do it again.”

The Orlando Magic’s 23-year-old starting forward is deeply religious — and proudly unvaccinated. When NBA players started lining up for shots in March, Isaac started studying Black history and watching Donald Trump’s press conferences. He learned about antibody resistance and came to distrust Dr. Anthony Fauci. He looked out for people who might die from the vaccine, and he put faith in God.

“At the end of the day, it’s people,” Isaac says of the scientists developing vaccines, “and you can’t always put your trust completely in people.”

Isaac considers un-vaxxed players to be vilified and bullied, and he thinks “it’s an injustice” to automatically make heroes out of vaccinated celebrities. He rejects the NBA’s proposal for a vaccine mandate and social distancing for players like him during team travel: “You can play on the same court. We can touch the same ball. We can bump chests. We can do all those things on the court. And then when it comes to being on the bus, we have to be in different parts of the bus? To me, it doesn’t seem logically consistent.

“If you are vaccinated, in other places you still have to wear the mask regardless. It’s like, ‘OK, then what is the mask necessarily for?’” Isaac continues. “And if Kyrie says that from his position of his executive power in the NBPA, then kudos to him.”

Enes Kanter — the veteran center, devout Muslim and outspoken liberal — senses a creep of the religious right upon his workplace, which just happens to involve players like Isaac sweating all over him and yelling in his face: “If a guy’s not getting vaccinated because of his religion, I feel like we are in a time where the religion and science has to go to together,” he tells RS. “I’ve talked to a lot of religious guys — I’m like: ‘It saves people’s lives, so what is more important than that?’”

Kanter’s current franchise, the Boston Celtics, had multiple players unvaccinated as of Thursday, he and a teammate say. The NBA claims that 90 percent of its more than 450 players — star veterans and players trying to make rosters alike — have received at least one shot, a rate lower than the conservative NFL. League officials provide weekly data and studies to teams with un-vaxxed players, many of whom they hope will be inoculated before the regular season begins on October 19. Inside practice facilities next week, vaccinated players expect to spend time convincing skeptical players to avoid a competitive disadvantage. “If you’re a player and you’re not vaccinated and you miss a week or two weeks,” Kanter says, “it could literally change the whole season — and we’re trying to win a championship!”

foh likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[…]

But the league continues to have difficulty convincing current superstars to advocate for vaccines: An NBA source says league officials could still ask LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo to appear in a PSA, but would never press the faces of its business to go there. As Black Americans continue to get vaccinated at a slower rate than any other race or ethnicity measured by the CDC, Abdul-Jabbar says that players who remain silent about the vaccine are no longer legitimate role models.

“They are failing to live up to the responsibilities that come with celebrity. Athletes are under no obligation to be spokespersons for the government, but this is a matter of public health,” the Hall-of-Famer writes Rolling Stone in an e-mail. Abdul-Jabbar is especially disappointed in athletes of color: “By not encouraging their people to get the vaccine, they’re contributing to these deaths. I’m also concerned about how this perpetuates the stereotype of dumb jocks who are unable to look at verified scientific evidence and reach a rational conclusion.”

[…]

And yet medical memos for the 2021-2022 NBA season, sent to teams by the league office over the course of this month and obtained by Rolling Stone, indicate little ramp-up to monitor unvaccinated players — and even less power to punish them. No player will be forced to undergo off-day testing, league sources confirmed, despite the NBA suggesting it in earlier guidance. Socially-distanced travel is now “suggested.” Players who aren’t fully vaxxed and seek outside labs for regular testing must get league approval, but their tests will otherwise be supervised by their teams — the kind of states-rights amalgam of governance preferred by players. A league source says NBA regulators are prepared to guard against forged vaccine cards by sweeping state databases for proof, but only if elevated to their attention.

[…]

But on Friday, the league announced that it had denied an application for a religious exemption by the unvaccinated Golden State Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins, and that he cannot yet play in their home games in San Francisco — which, like New York City, has a vaccination requirement for all people over 12 in venues such as basketball arenas. The league was not expected to rule immediately on any more such requests, but Irving could seek his own exemption, or get vaccinated — or simply refuse to play in Brooklyn.

“He is going to try to figure that out as it comes, because it’s not religious-based, it’s moral-based,” says Irving’s aunt Tyki. “You may have to sit on the sideline, you might not have to be in the arena during this. If it’s that freaking important to get a vaccine that, hell, it’s still not preventing the Covid” — which it is — “then I’d rather them working it out that way than to say, ‘Hey, if you don’t get the vaccine, then you can’t be a part of the franchise that you ****in’ helped build.’”

League protocols state that teams must submit a list of players and staff who aren’t vaccinated to their league testing officer — or at least confirm that a franchise is “not aware” of a vaccine denier on its roster. The Nets general manager, Sean Marks, was forced to admit at a press conference this week that Brooklyn would have “a couple people missing,” were the odds-on title favorites forced to play at home right now. “We’ve had very candid conversations,” he said. “We don’t see whether it’s a city-wide mandate, or it’s the league mandate to follow, being any sort of hindrance to us being able to put out a team.” The team would not be forced to confront New York’s one-shot athlete vaccination law until it returns from training camp in San Diego for a pre-season home game on October 8.

The Nets declined multiple requests to make a team doctor available for this story. Representatives for Durant and his fellow Nets superstar teammate, James Harden, did not respond to inquiries about whether they had yet to receive any shots. Brooklyn’s “Big Three” are scheduled to speak on Monday morning at a league-mandated pre-season media day, which Irving skipped last year because, he wrote on Instagram, the media are “pawns.” Irving’s aunt expected him to discuss vaccine hesitancy in the Black community, as well as the tragic experiments on sharecroppers in Tuskegee, while “providing just as much knowledge and research base that you necessarily don’t have to take this vaccine — some of it is fake news, some of it is fake information, some of it is Doctor False-y, you don’t really know.”

[…]

foh and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

Very communist of you. Bravo!

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Doesn't Kyrie Irving think the world is flat? What doe she thinks happens when he flies to China? Does he just go off the edge of the map and re-appear on the other side?

Patience and foh like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's just asking questions -- very philosophically minded.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

“They are failing to live up to the responsibilities that come with celebrity. Athletes are under no obligation to be spokespersons for the government, but this is a matter of public health,” the Hall-of-Famer writes Rolling Stone in an e-mail. Abdul-Jabbar is especially disappointed in athletes of color: “By not encouraging their people to get the vaccine, they’re contributing to these deaths. I’m also concerned about how this perpetuates the stereotype of dumb jocks who are unable to look at verified scientific evidence and reach a rational conclusion.”

[​IMG]

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And kyrie is leader of the NBAPA. CP3 needs to put his foot down and get these guys in line.

Patience likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tiki Irving ... “the limitations they are oppressing on you” Lmao

Kareem comes off sounding great . pointing out hypocrisy is always entertaining.

honestly , the only thing I disagree with from him is he was saying they have a responsibility to promote the vaccine . I think they SHOULD get the vaccine , but they don’t have to be shouting it from the rooftops.

furthermore I think it’s within an adults right not get vaccinated ; however , I also think that whatever societal repercussions Happen to them (aka lose their job) are fair game . After all , it’s their choice .

if you want to miss home game checks , have increased restrictions and testing, possibly get fined , and let your teammates down for not buying in 100% .. be my guest .

But , you can’t have your cake and eat it too

I mean , it seems in the NBA ... players usually can . However , I don’t think the few ones that want this one will win . Too many other players are for the vaccine for the players union to really get behind these guys .. and the owners / GM’s / coaches / and league office are on the other side as well .

Patience and JumpMan like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

#173 J.R., Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bradley Beal…LMAO

oh boy, these dudes are dumb

BigM likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

That's legitimate in general, but in the USA it's been much more aggressive than in my neck of the woods.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Our education system has clearly failed. I'd like to say more, but will respect that this isn't the D&D.

picard-facepalm.jpg

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. foh

foh Member

He has the money to go to the outer space and check for himself. Philosophy is a study of existential sh*t, which involves actually going out there and doing some legwork to figure things out. Imho, people of that sort should be ridiculed instead of given the tongue in cheek treatment.

What gets me is the arrogance required for one to be convinced that a ton of people who've actually been to outer space, would want to lie to you about earth being round and NOT flat. Why would they lie?

If we shunned stupid confidence & arrogance more forcefully, we wouldn't have to do covid tests left and right despite being vaccinated or having natural immunity. Plus there would be less overall suffering caused by covid cases and deaths.

tldr: f*ck Kyrie and his ilk

subtomic likes this.
  20. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Why does it need to be promoted? Anything helpful don't need to involve the influential rich and famous does it? Need understanding for the pressure from above.