1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I said no on the trade but I would def take Simmons if he’s willing to change his position to PF and play the draymond green role.

he’s a great defender which we really need and he would be great as a open court ball handler and roll man.

he’s a a very good player that can’t shoot, everything else he does at an elite level. But if he wants to be the PG then no way. Long term that’s not his position, either he gets it now or will find out later on in his career that no team that wants to contend will ever have him playing the PG role.

I think if he was open and committed to playing the PF spot he would be a great pick up and could potentially have the team in the playoffs picture this coming season.

KPJ/green/Tate/Simmons/wood is a very solid young starting five.

the guy is a legit all nba defender that will give u 16/9/8 with good shooting outside of his non existent 3 point shooting.

very interesting I totally get the ppl that say hell no but I do think he would fit very nicely at the PF spot with wood being able to shoot the 3 at an above avg clip and his other abilities as a role man.

it tough but I lean towards yes get him if he can be had for wall and the 3 worst of the Brooklyn picks.

With that said in order for the team to contend your banking on kpj and green turning into allstar level guys with imo it has to be kpj turning into a legit mvp level player. Lot of what if’s but if we want to get back to contention this would be the type of trade you make. Plus Simmons and wood while older than our backcourt are still only 25.

interesting trade I get the pros and cons from both angles.

Y2JT, D-rock, Dankstronaut and 3 others like this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

Guys, I voted NO, but am starting to change my mind. @D-rock (as dickish as he is) makes some good points here.
    1. Is Simmons overpaid? Yes.
    But he's less overpaid than a guy making $45M for not playing. If we make this trade we actually reduce payroll by ~$10M in Year 1 and Yr 2, giving us more flexibility under the tax for trades, MLEs, etc. Then Yr 3 and 4, if the new TV deals raise the salary cap as much as people are expecting, Simmons deal will be actually not that bad. Remember the last time the cap went up and guys like Tyler Jonson and Kent Bazemore signed huge deals?

2. Will he hurt the Offense? A little bit... First, in transition Simmons is elite: he can put pressure on the rim, find shooters, etc. He's like Russ in that regard. In half-court, he has a somewhat passable post-up game, which is a weapon in my book. Off-the-ball is obviously the big issue, due to the shooting problems, but why not put him in the dunker spot, like Capella? Alley-oops and Offensive putbacks? Can he do that? Why not?

3. What about his mental issues and his act? Look, we are all (incl. the front office) counting on KPJ to make a leap, but that guy was ALL issues a year ago. These things can be managed, so you make a trade with the idea that there will be improvement in that regard. It has been done before.

So yeah, I am starting to change my mind on that. Simmons is a known known. Draft picks are meh: I mean if White KD is the biggest prize and we are at what? 5% chance of getting him.. and he can be a complete bust from the look on his face... Yeah, I'd rather have Simmons...

Y2JT likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Rockets should be aiming for the best pick possible in the 2022 draft, as well as giving Green and KPJ as much development opportunities as possible.

Ben Simmons provides zero of what the Rockets need right now. This should not even be a discussion.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Agreed. If the season isn't 'Green and KPJ get as many touches as they want, whenever they want' it is really a failed and wasted year.

withmustard likes this.
  5. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

3-4 firsts is steep for a player who is at an all time low in terms of trade value. The same could be said about Harden when we traded him but he was still either a top 10 or top 5 player in the league which Simmons is not.

Now if were talking Wall and 2 firsts then I am all for it as I think a starting 5 of Porter and Green in the backcourt, Wood and Simmons in the frontcourt and a rotating door of 3 and Ds to round out the starting 5 makes sense as a starting unit.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Simmons right now is better than KPJ ever will be. No brainer to take him

7. pippsux

pippsux Member

If there is any justice, the basketball Gods will intervene and makes sure nobody want Simmons. Let him be stuck with Embid and Rivers and Morey and take it like a man.

luckyman76 and J Sizzle like this.
  8. pippsux

pippsux Member

Take him to do what exactly?

9. alethios

alethios Member

Except in the one category we really need from him.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I am not anti-Simmons because of wanting to tank or thinking he's an unmitigated cancer, I don't see a trade working.

On point 1, Saving $10M a year does not matter in years 1 and 2. To get rid of Wall, it will take assets to move him when his salary isn't really hurting the Rockets. On years 3 and 4, I think the NBA will be smarter about cap smoothing this time such that contracts are going to get scaled to revenue (i.e., if Simmons is overpaid now, he's going to still be the same percentage of the salary cap and still be overpaid). I don't think Simmons is overpaid, but having to pay his contract and then send picks to Morey is double paying, and then locks up the team to pretty much what it currently is.

On 2, he's going to hurt the offense some, though I'm not 100% sold on KPJ either.

On 3, I don't see Simmons as worse than House.

#510 Joe Joe, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  11. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Trading for Simmons after only one year of rebuilding seems short-sided unless the goal is not to ultimately contend, but rather to be relavant and sell tickets. Hopefully management and TF remain patient and see this rebuild through.

ArtV, J Sizzle, mario_v and 2 others like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Its so boring to think everybody needs to shoot threes. He was just fine 3 seasons ago and now hate and 3pt pressure destroyed his confidence

D-rock likes this.
  13. alethios

alethios Member

if you think it's just about shooting 3s then you are mistaken, because he's terrible anywhere outside of 3-10 feet including FTs. It would take just a few percentage points improvement in these areas esp in the playoffs for him to rise to the elite status. Yet, he becomes a shrinking violet in the playoffs.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm all for offensive variety. In fact, that's the problem with Simmons: he has zero offensive variety. In the halfcourt, all he can do is stand in the dunker's spot and take up space. That's what kills him on offense, especially in the playoffs.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can't think of anything dumber than a rebuilding team trading valuable assets for a max contract player who lacks confidence and does not fit in anybody's offense.

Except for trading for Russell Westbrook. I guess that could be dumber.

luckyman76, Easy and SamCassell like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Yea. I've noticed a lot of Simmons proponents (I was one of them leading up to Harden trade) have to use a lot of "ifs" regarding his offense. I'd gamble on Simmons for the right price... but why would the Sixers accept a low ball offer?

Corrosion likes this.
  17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

All this talk of him being Draymond or whoever is crazy - Dray isn't afraid to shoot and his BBIQ is off the charts. Plus, who's giving up 3-4 firsts for a complementary piece like that who makes max salary?

Ron Artest was a good addition because he was cheap. Those Yao-McGrady teams wouldn't have been able to afford him in if he cost 4 firsts and made max salary. And Metta could actually shoot.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I wouldn’t care if either one of those two got on the court this year

Corrosion likes this.
  19. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Wood and theoretical Ben Simmons as Draymond (which I’m very skeptical would really manifest itself) would be a really interesting front court combo and I was more open to giving it a shot if the trade comp was low enough before the draft. Simmons and Sengun much, much less so. In addition to the trade compensation, financial commitment, and concern about bringing in a combustible situation when we already have KPJ and a young impressionable team, there’s also the opportunity cost of Sengun’s development.

I would be more interested in rolling the dice on Simmons in a different situation. San Antonio has zero high end potential on their roster and a very stable culture. That’s a better place for a gamble. Or a team that has plateaued well short of title contender like the Blazers or Pacers makes sense to say “what the heck” and give it a shot.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Make morey beg for wall/Simmons straight up.

no picks!

because wall is probably the best offer I’ve seen that sounds legitimate

D-rock likes this.