1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord cutters, my new setup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Reminds me of the 90s. Hard pass.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  2. what

what Member

Here is my setup:

SiriusXM SXSD2 Portable Speaker Dock Audio System for Dock and Play Radios (Black)

SiriusXM SXPL1H1 Onyx Plus Satellite Radio with Home Kit, Receive 3 Months Free Service with Subscription – Enjoy SiriusXM Through your Home Stereo or Powered Speakers on this Dock and Play Radio

Browning BR-H-50 Sirius & SiriusXM Outdoor Home Antenna,Black

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

what.....the ****.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think this is really cutting the cord. This is more like "I cut tv and switched to radio because I don't mind giving up tv programming... lookit meeee!". lol.

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. what

what Member

Actually you aren't wrong, but then again cord cutting was never about going cold turkey anyway. It was more about getting rid of cable, like directtv.
    The thing is that dealing with sirusxm is a whole lot easier than dealing with league pass or Suddenlink. Especially Suddenlink, you don't know how much I hate that company.

The other thing is that sirusxm has a feature called t-mix, which shuffles through all of your stored music channels, which I find surprisingly as good or better than Spotify. With Spotify you have to constantly mess with it to play songs, whereas sirusxm you just hit play and let the channels do it for you.

But you are right, sirusxm has damn near everything for a fraction of the cost!!!!

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2 Streaming sites I use for Astros, Rockets, College FB, NFL games that are NOT OTA or thru Paramount+ or Yahoo Sports...are https://sportsurge.net/#/groups/0 (I find the usasports server the best for Astros and Rockets) and https://www.str****a*t.live/ab/

I pay $110 for Unlimited Internet Gigspeed internet thru Comcast (Gives me Peacock Premium for free). AppleTV+ for $4.99 also gives me access to a $9.99 bundle for BOTH Paramount+ and Showtime. I get HBO Max for free thru AT&T unlimited plan. Have the $17.99 Netflix plan and the Hulu (no ads..cheaper if u don't mind ads), Disney+, and ESPN+ bundle for $19. And of course Amazon Prime Video thru Prime membership. Basically covers everything I need to watch. Use free CW app for those shows (although they should up on Netflix and HBO Max eventually).

7. what

what Member

You are still caught in the vicious cycle.
    You should just get direct tv and pay them $200 a month.

I will say that peacock is a damn good value for what you get. Their service is low-key one of the best.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Huh? Um. DirectTV is more than $200 a month and that is without Internet. I get UNLIMITED internet at 1GB+ speed for $110 (no data caps). I pay another $50 for streaming services that I don't get for free. $160 for everything. You tell me how you can beat Netflix (4k), Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, HBO Max, Prime Video, AppleTV+, Showtime, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, and UNLIMITED 1GB Internet for $160?

I want to WATCH things, not act like it is the 1930s...huddled around a radio...lol.

9. what

what Member

Isn't Amazon prime $120 a year. Plus the $50 for streaming AND you have to watch your sports on a streaming site, and deal with that mess.
    That is $170 a month, which is $2000 a year. Also I explained that I get what you get for $120 a year and if I really wanted everything I could buy a subscription to Netflix DVD service and watch what I want for an extra $8.

Plus, I get home and away games from all the major sports. :)

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Prime is $120 a year...but if you order ALOT from Amazon...it is a wash...cost-wise (basically, Amazon prime pays for itself in about a month with Shipping charges saved. The streaming sites have 1 pop-up...and that's it. So UNLIMITED GB internet and ALL THE Streaming I need is $160 a month. OTA sports is free (I have antennas) or I can stream them. When I had Directv, Internet (Capped at 1GB and would go over each month) +Directv was basically $250 a month and that is without Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, Disney+, Showtime, CBS all access (paramount plus), AppleTV+ (Had regular HBO thru AT&T cellular).

11. what

what Member

https://www.att.com/directv/premier-package/

$134.99

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

NO GIGSPEED Unlimited INTERNET, No Netflix, No Paramount+, No Peacock Premium, No Hulu, No Disney+, No AppleTV+. You are IGNORING THE UNLIMITED GIGSPEED INTERNET. That is around $86 by itself, Unlimited is another $30.

That $134 bundle I $160+ with taxes and fees, BTW.

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You really outta post this as an online dating profile — very eccenric — then share with us who responds. Keep your Pixel for the camera, though. Or maybe update your profile to mention getting a Polaroid.

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

What are the hardware specs on the box running Slackware?

16. what

what Member

That is not My setup

17. what

what Member

It is an i-5 6600k, RX 460 and an 8gb ddr memory.

However, my best part of the setup is my Happy Hacking Keyboard Hybrid type-s with blank keycaps, also I have a 19in 5:4 ViewSonic monitor attached to mount-it! arm. I also have Bose companion series 2 speakers. Love this.

#37 what, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Lots of sweat equity goes into cord cutting like this. Not knocking it, but it's a time > money thing IMO. If you have that time, it's fun. If you don't, and you value simplicity, it's worth the $ to go with something more elegant. Sort of like iPhone vs Android.

19. what

what Member

The same for going from windows or Mac to Linux. I spent years to get to the point I am at, but now I could not imagine going back to windows.
    Learning the commandline is worth it, but it won't be easy to get to the point where you can see the benefits.

20. SuraGotMadHops

I need 20 D batteries!

[​IMG]