1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spoof Calls and Texts - is there ANYTHING we can do to stop them??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 13, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't think Borat would be on the call blocking side of this equation somehow.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  2. Asian Sensation

They'll continue until he reaches Pamela.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The spoofs are the worst.

It's hard to answer any call from my state as 90% will be spoofs. Sadly, there's no good solution for people in certain jobs, like small businesses or consulting where you don't know if it's a possible customer or not. Not to mention emergency response work. Nothing worse than being in the middle of a stressful fire and have to deal with 5-10 of these calls a day. And of course, I work with people all over the state, so if it comes from a little town, my first thought is likely to be someone I know.

For the first 11 months in 2019, there an estimated 54 billion robo/spoof calls made in the US (population of US is about 327 million). Consumer Reports says about 70% of people just don't answer phones anymore and says small businesses in particular are likely to suffer financially and time-wise because of that change in behavior.

It doesn't matter what you do. I've tried everything, and finally got rid of my land line. I'm down to only 2-3 calls per day on the cell. I suspect it's more cost effective for them to leave a number on their list than remove it.

There was a 2019 law passed set to take effect soon. I'm not optimistic.

https://www.consumerreports.org/robocalls/how-traced-act-robocall-law-will-protect-consumers/

4. Buck Turgidson

I have a Houston area code still, after 12 years. Anyone with the local area code/Austin/SA area codes I try to answer if I can, because it's usually some worker or supplier I need to talk to. It makes me sad, but I ignore all 713 calls. Leave me a voicemail if it's important. Text me if it's really important.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I only got one call over the 3-day weekend. And it was successfully blocked.

Trying not to jinx it, but so far, this app is everything you said it was. The only slightly annoying thing is that I still get a notification on my Fitbit. I could turn off notifications, but then I wouldn't get notified when I get a call/text from someone I know. Still, this app is killing it (so far). Thanks again for the tip!

DonnyMost likes this.
  6. TheresTheDagger

Rocket River and Xerobull like this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member

The FCC won't let me be me

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Apple lets you block, I didn't know this:

1. launch Settings App.
    2. Turn “do not disturb” on Manual.
    3. Only allow calls from your contacts list.
    4. Also do not allow repeated calls with in 3 minutes to get though.
    Or:

1. On your iPhone navigate to recent calls. Then get that call info. Use the copy feature on “Unknown Caller”.
    2. Now go to contacts. Click the + sign to add a new contact. Use the paste feature and fill the fields like first name, last name, company and phone number. Press done.
    3. Now you have option to block the caller.
    Or: Copy UNKNOWN and paste it into blocked caller list. No number entry required.

Or:

1. Download a silent ringtone. Set this tone as your iPhone default ringtone.
    2. Then go to My contacts and set the different ringtone for your contacts.
    3. So now “number unknowns” call do not ring.

DD

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's been reported that some people (well, at least one person) find Apple devices difficult to use

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Verizon has stepped it up since I started this thread. All robocalls are marked "potential spam" and no longer ring. I get a little notification on my watch, but my phone doesn't ring anymore.

Texts are a different story. I get those all the time and even after you make them disappear and delete notifications for the thread, people still reply "UNSUBSCRIBE" and the thread comes back again.