1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hot Sauce Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

this!

2. Pole

[​IMG]

And this.

3. Pole

[​IMG]

This one is good too. I also always have a jar of minced Thai bird chilies and minced garlic soaking in fish sauce in the fridge. Them Asians got it going on!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

^^ Those are the two I used to use all the time until I just started making just "pure" chili oil since it's so simple and you can put whatever you want in it. I love the stuff. I also had a bunch of peppers left over from last year and made some green chili sauce from Ghana. It was different... I liked it, but something about plain ol' chili oil still is my favorite "hot sauce"/condiment to put on stuff.

One thing that's pretty cool is to see how different places around the world make their own version of hot sauces/chili paste. Unfortunately, I didn't grown any peppers this year, so haven't been able to enjoy making stuff as much this season.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

El Yucateco for the easy to find, cheap stuff.

Cholula ain't bad either.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It's all about the harissa.

7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

* Bump *!

Some good recommendations here so far too.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just shove reapers right up the booty hole now

DonnyMost likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

The ol' San Leon Enema

The jars I said I had at the beginning of this thread made b****in good oven baked wings.

I still have about 6 more pints...free to a good home (but not @Xerobull, unless he has something to trade)

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

How many bottles for a helicopter?

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Odd... I made a few more jars of it since this post, and I'm out again and was just thinking "it's almost time to make some more". This time I should probably make a bigger jar.

This is pretty much how I make it ... almost down to the ingredients (with slight variation - I don't use salt or vinegar, but do throw in a couple of bay leaves). On the final temperature bump, I only go to around 280-290'ish. Otherwise I always feel the pepper flakes just "overcook" or burn. I still haven't used cardmom in it because I never have whole cardamom handy. I should try that in the next batch.

The recipe I use is pretty much this one with slight variations : https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

The guy in the above video currently lives in Houston. And this guy frequents here who swears by it and has his own chili oil that you can buy.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. Saw his video when I was first looking to make chili oil a few years ago and almost did it with peanuts, but still haven't tried it that way.

The person below doesn't skimp on ingredients. They seem to be using about 4 kinds of peppers. The 4th one they claim is ghost pepper, but that's definitely not a ghost pepper. Looks more like another common thai/cayenne type of pepper. But her use of ginger and green onions is kind of new to me. Gotta try that.

This is another video I had bookmarked from last year where they show a multi-day process for making it. I can't find the other one where the guy takes 2 or 3 days to make it :

Lastly the Mexican version. Which seems very similar to the Chinese version. Like Rick says in the video, I'm sure there was "cross-talk" on this one. Salsa macha. I have a ton of dried chile de arbol peppers I may use for something like this, though I generally just use japones, tien tsin or "Thai" peppers. Like the Chinese variant, salsa macha seems to have a lot of recipe variants, too, but seem generally more simple :

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Crazy that Rick Bayless and Skip Bayless are brothers...

[​IMG]

JumpMan likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Finally got around to trying Secret Aardvaark Habanero...it's good, not too spicy but maybe a tad bit too sweet (It's from Portland, I think, so whatcha gonna do?)

The Huy Fong Sriracha Shortage of 2022 is very real, folks. Same with their Sambal and Garlic Chili Sauce. Shelves empty at my HEB this morning. I bought gochujang instead and will make chili oil when I run out of what I've got.

ETA: @CCorn I'm going to order a 3-pack from the guys you were talking about earlier: Garlicky Gringo, Hatchanero and either Scorpion or Ghost...care to describe them both

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Thai curry is the real deal. I go out of my way to buy it when I can

Xerobull likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. Buck Turgidson