1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First 2 Games (Watson / Mills Comparison)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Sep 24, 2021.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the whole point was we had that owner when Watson signed a 4 year contract. Watt played 5 years of his contract before he wanted out. Besides, he was 31. Big difference. If Watson had just not signed a new contract we could have used that money on someone else.

#61 deb4rockets, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. conquistador#11

I heard one of the Carolina radio analysts say they haven't had a Defense like this since 2015.
    2019 stats for Watson vs Panthers: 160 yards/ 0tds for a 75 rating with Hyde and Duke carrying the load. No Hyde or Duke for Mills. 2009 Steve Slaton would have been welcomed yesterday.

TheFreak likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I want to see Mills improve on his deep ball. It's not been good at all so far. I want to see us pushing the ball vertically, and successfully, with Mills.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This thread shouldn’t have been created.

mario_v, McNultyisDrunk, J.R. and 2 others like this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I have a feeling you'll be back on this thread when Mills has a bad game.

raining threes likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Who do you want them to play? I don't see how it's a waste of time if a 3rd round QB was the highest pick we could get and our starter got hurt. Should they demand Watson play or forfeit his money? Otherwise, our options are pretty slim. Unless, you don't even think our 1st pick is worth developing at all. I'm gonna root for whoever we have right now and can't wait until Watson is gone. He's Mr. Irrelevant now. He could care less about this team.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The stance of most posters is that if mills is sht, we need to move on rather then waste seasons on a doomed project. U can b all optimistic about this qb if u want, and others can sht on him if they want. If u bother bringing up Watsons name for whatever reason, this qb is just gonna b viewed extremely negative bc even if Watson was a immoral person he is an extremely gifted qb and we now have this dude kinda stings.

So far This qb is pretty meh, aside from that drive In the 2nd quarter

#67 DatRocketFan, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    clos4life likes this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

One game at a time. CAR's defense was good and the kid took some good shots and kept playing hard. No turnovers! That's huge plus for a rookie QB. We lost like we were expected to, but Mills played well despite the circumstances and coaching.

His second start is against the Bills so it ain't getting any easier. Another tough defense. Hopefully, we do a better job of scheming protection for him and we have some semblance of a run game.

raining threes, cmoak1982 and whag00 like this.
  9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It’s a little more nuanced than that. As talented as Watson is the Texans still went 4-12 last year. And this was with a healthy Watson, Watt, Tunsil, Cooks, Cunningham. He is not the messiah that some people think he is.

The hope (dream) is that Mills becomes a legit starter and they Texans can use the draft and cap space to build the talent around him up while he is on a rookie contract.

So the choices going forward are to continue to play Mills and see what he is or start Taylor and go 6-11 and get the 8th pick in each round and miss out on the premier talent.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

So far he's just as meh as Watson was when he started off. Anyway, nobody planned on him starting this year. Hopefully Taylor is back soon. Next year we might have a #1 QB pick to throw in the mix.

11. conquistador#11

Justin Fields' first start. He wasn't my favorite coming out but most of the western media wanted him to start opening week.
    3/4, 29 yards. 2 more quarters left in the game.

12. whag00

Mac Jones 16/28, 169, 2 int, 3 points for the pats

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We had BoB as our sht coach, literally health means nothing and he was holding back Watson + the team greatness with sht play calls.

Were we gonna win anything prob not. But to go from Watson greatness to this qb, u can see y a lot of posters or quite negative on this qb especially if he doesn't improve fast.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree O’Brien was terrible, Watson didn’t have a good season on his own. He is very good. But he’s not Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fields has looked bad. Wilson had looked bad. Lawrence has been up and down to extremes. Mac as I’m typing this just had a nice scramble and throw for TD.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ummmm our current qb is compared to the likes of Tom Savage lol. All I'm saying is I hope our sht franchise know when to move on instead of wasting seasons on a qb that isn't even close to Watson's caliber much less the qbs u mentioned

clos4life and Fulgore like this.
  17. whag00

Lol…Tim Kelly was the OC last year. And Tim Kelly is the OC this year.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There should be no comparisons between the two

Fulgore likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mills needs to get a REALLY dark tan so that a certain type of Watson fan will consider accepting him.

After that is taken care of, he'll have to up his game the way Watson did....hopefully without raping anyone.

20. conquistador#11

Final numbers for Fields 6/20 for 69 yards. Not nice!