1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

OH YOU TAKE IT BACK!

juanming, JayGoogle, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why not Wall?

Just curious.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Future RGV legend, their franchise wouldn't be the same if we traded him away.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are FAR too generous .... I don't think a team with Simmons as the lead dog or even second fiddle win it all.

Honestly I wouldn't trade him straight up for John Wall because his contract interferes with the 2023 FA period when the Rockets can have $60m in cap space and retain all their own core players.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody who voted yes should be arrested immediately

Htown Stros, PeterKingX and Corrosion like this.
  6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He’s an all NBA, 3 time all star, 2 time all defensive 1st team, nba steals leader…don’t forget. The only difference between him and Giannis is Giannis isn’t afraid to shoot. Athletically, skill wise, Simmons has more. He has better handles, better passing, better defense. Giannis is a bad shooter too, he just doesn’t mind trying them.

ramotadab, rhee and D-rock like this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t know if Philly accepts that deal. Ego and House are more “flip-able” for Morey, and might be better additions to their roster than Wall.

D-rock likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sacramento Kings way of thinking

kjayp, 34to11, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s also the 83/84 rockets way of thinking, the warriors way of thinking, the 97 spurs way of thinking, etc.

ramotadab and napalm06 like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If I say yes will we stop making Simmons threads?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I don't see KPJ being a long term option at point unless he pans out like super crazy, but neither would Simmons if he were to land here either.

I know our options are slim with Wall, but I'm torn now...

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I know 3-4 first-round picks are a lot, but it is a foregone conclusion that we will lose 1-2 first-round picks as soon as we are committed to unload Wall. Very few teams would be willing to take Wall's contract even if they are compensated with 1-2 first-found picks. (I never agree with the determination to trade Wall in the first place since you have to pay comparable salaries to some veterans on your payroll anyway, so why lose picks by trading him?)

Anyway, the question becomes, would you give up 2 first-round picks and cap space in 2 years for an experiment with the "flawed talent" Simmons? It's very debatable especially if the picks are projected low or decently-protected, definitely not as lopsided as it sounds. I know many of you are in the camp of "no Simmons even for free", but I suspect there are teams willing to pay more values than 2 late firsts.

We are mostly in this conversation because Wall actually has some value to the 76ers (i.e. less negative than to any other teams in the NBA), so this is a very rare opportunity for us to trade Wall. My guess is that we will participate in a multi-team trade where we send Wall to the 76ers with one first-round pick, while receiving a pu pu platter of smaller bad contracts from a third team and saving Tillman some money. You guys should cheer for that if you believe Simmons is a disaster. Otherwise how do you trade Wall?

Plowman, theDude and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Looks like Thybulle trying to be part of the package in any Ben Simmons trade.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We may get involved some way to take on a 2 year bad contract and get a pick or something like that, but I don’t think we will get Simmons and I don’t think the Wizards want Wall. I think Sactown or Minni end up with Simmons. Wall will end up with the Clippers, because their owner has more money than God.

Plowman likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Simmons, Thybulle, and filler for Wall, Tate, Christopher and picks.

Clearly the Sixers say no, but maybe that would get close if they were high on Christopher and Taye?

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It just blows me away that people want to trade picks to try to chase the playin game. Absolutely mind blowing

luckyman76, Richie_Rich and Corrosion like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would look at that as a move for the future, not the right now.

I view Simmons as a young reclamation project, not a centerpiece.

He'd help dump Wall in this scenario and if he turned things around, the Rockets have a talented young core to potentially contend in a few years. If he doesn't, he'd still be easier to flip than Wall

D-rock likes this.