1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future Texans QB watch thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ferrari77, Sep 4, 2021.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me this is not a draft for pi king a QB in rnd 1. I think you would be wasting a pick or definitely not get maximum value for that pick.

I can see the Texans picking up a QB in rnd 2 and after but not rnd 1

JayZ750, Verbal Christ and King1 like this.
  2. conquistador#11

Prospect 1 or prospect 4. I can't decide which one. It might come down to has the sexiest photos. Cheetah can handle that part of the evaluation process.

I feel only 6 or 7 teams will really need a Qb in their first 2 rounds.
    Saints, Colts, Falcons, Washington, NY, Texans, Steelers if Ben chooses to retire.
    Any one else come to mind?

#162 conquistador#11, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Pass on QB at all

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You have Tyrod for a few years if you want him - wait for a REAL prospect.

whag00, cmoak1982 and King1 like this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I refuse to give up on Davis Mills…

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'll have the rest of the season to prove he's worthy of sticking with, if he can't do it, that's on him.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I would rather give a developmental guy like Mills 2 seasons than reach on the next Tua or Josh Rosen.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For me, it depends on what we see from Mills over the course of the season. The job is his to lose.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tyrod hasn’t lasted for more than 3 games the past 3 teams (including the Texans) he has started for. Okay with waiting on a real prospect but don’t think you can rely on him to man the job for that long.

If Mills shows potential, think you roll with him to see as much as possible.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're right its a slippery slope, but I'd try to keep him in the pocket as much as possible. He's looked good in that aspect and while taking away his wheels would limit some things, the way he's reading defenses and delivering the ball makes him the most valuable guy on the team if winning is really important for this franchise this year.

Lock up Tyrod and avoid one of the 5'10 QBs this year that are being hyped as worthy of a top 5 pick.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree man. I feel bad for Tyrod too, the man can play. But he’s a small QB and they don’t tend to last in the league. That’s the scary part with the prospects in the draft upcoming

14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I think that you can't base what you do in the present on what you "might" have in the future.
    We have no idea what our record may be the year after this one.
    Even if you're counting on the Watson trade haul, well if you trade him to a team with a middling roster like Miami who would project to improve with DW under center that would mean something like a #15-16 pick this year and 2 more later 1st's that project to be in the 20's.
    All 3 picks together won't get you into the top 2 spots in a draft (where the premium qb's usually go).
    Maybe 5-7 but even that would depend on the prospect available.

So if we have a top 5 pick this year and one of the qb's grade out as a potential "franchise" signal caller we need to take him.
    Of course give Mills this year to show his "stuff", but unless he REALLY POPS then I don't let him being on the roster stop me from trying to find the next "Deshaun"! (please, no sexual jokes - lol)

This is why I had no problem in taking a flyer on Mills this year WHERE WE DID, but I thought it was a bad decision for say Philly to take Jalen Hurts a couple of years ago (in the 2nd).
    Anytime you use a top 2 round pick on a qb you feel "obligated" to give him 2-3 years to prove himself.
    I didn't think Hurts was accurate enough to ever be a top tier starter so taking him put Philly on hold qb-wise for a couple of years.
    But with a 3rd or 4th rounder I fell no obligation whatsoever to not keep searching for/spending draft capital on my future franchise qb.

We don't know whether (in the coming years) we will be able to get in position again to get a franchise qb without mortgaging our future so if we are in range this year I think we need to look very carefully at taking one.
    Not saying to reach on a Blaine Gabbert, but just don't count on what you "might" have later!
    And by all means don't let the presence of a 3rd round pick on your roster have ANY BEARING WHATSOEVER on your draft decisions!

(unless of course he looks like the 2nd coming of Joe "Cool"!)

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Malik Willis did not look good with the Syracuse pressure- yikes

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t get to see any of it, his numbers didn’t look bad. Same with Howell in their loss.
    Didn’t get to see any

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I hate Taylor got hurt but this is perfect for Mills. I like his physical makeup but can the Texans win with him?

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is what yet to be seen. It’s not likely but need to see what he’s got

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jimmy G looked good yesterday just saying

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yuck.

I like the kid in Cincinnati and probably can be had in the late 1st or 2nd.