1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do not trade for Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

bringing up Giannis when talking about Ben Simmons simply does not compute

1. Giannis is 100x more aggressive than Ben Simmons. Despite his weak shooting, he can still get u 30+ points on the regular because he will attack all game long and is not scared to get fouled and have to shoot free throws.

2. Giannis has a way below average jumper, but he has never been scared to at least try and shoot. Not only can Ben Simmons not shoot, but he outright refuses to the point that when he does finally do the impossible and actually takes a jumper, it’s front page news. It’s pathetic. Giannis makes up for his weak shooting with that extreme level of aggressiveness that Simmons simply does not have and will never have. Ben Simmons is content to take his little 10-11 shots each night and drop 15-16 points like he’s been doing since he stepped foot in this league.

3. Giannis has a clear upward trajectory in his career while Ben Simmons is the same exact dude he was as a rookie. I guess his defense has improved with more experience in the NBA, but that’s about it. He is going into his 6th season and is still the exact same guy.

Even Draymond Green is a guy who you’d never take out of a playoff game in the 4th quarter. Hack-a-Draymond has never been a thing like it is with Ben “I just shot 34% from the free throw line in the playoffs” Simmons. No one has ever said that Draymond Green is killing his team in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.

For some reason, people think Ben Simmons will come here and embrace being some small-ball 5 or full-time PF who stays in the dunkers spot or rolls to the rim while only playmaking some of the time. Lol. Does Ben Simmons look like the type that would embrace that? Does Ben Simmons look like he’s willing to work on or change his game, especially for a team this bad?

2. j@amc

j@amc Member

Giannis figured out how to capitalize on his physical gifts to dominate on both ends of the floor. He can catch the ball outside the paint, and no athlete in the league can keep him from finishing in the paint. When fouling him was the only option, he made FTs. His impact on the defensive end is significant. He's more than decent and a dunker.

But I'm with you mostly about Simmons. He's is a plus defender and facilitator. He may yet figure out how to finish in the paint, but he'll never have the athleticism to overwhelm people like Giannis. Not sure Simmons wants to be that Draymond enforcer/facilitator guy. Again, I'm not sure he's got the right athleticism to pull that off.

But Simmons's entire approach is on the ropes. It's easier to see the holes in his game (no jump shot, can't finish at the FT line, and he's not a viable post option) than what he brings to the table. When I stack on top of that this Diva -- "I'm not playing saga," I can't get interested.

The Rockets have enough on their plate in developing young players. Pass on the drama, please.

ramotadab, Jayzers_100 and NewAge like this.
  3. rockets13champs

“He’s is 25 that is not young anymore” you are most definitely 15 lmfaooo

Denovo and D-rock like this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really don't think you even understand the concept of tanking. It is not forfeiting games. It is not intentionally trying to lose. It is simply focusing on developing your young players by giving them significant court time while not making short term win now moves. I expect the team to try to win every single game - and then still lose the overwhelming majority of them because they're too young and too inexperienced to win.

QuaDouble and Little Bit like this.
  5. Williamson

And, until last season, we hadn't tanked that entire time.

D-rock likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The rockets to get hakeem actually did throw games. The warriors also did it for steph and klay, internationally throwing games for better draft position.

7. Williamson

But how did they throw the games? Did they order the players to lose or did they just sit their best players and let young guys and fringe guys play the minutes? Anyhow, that was nearly 40 years ago.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The warriors were doing stuff like having their 12th man play 40 minutes, having guys who couldn’t shoot take 10+ 3s, stuff like that. I despise that franchise in every way but the one thing I respect is they were willing to throw games for the betterment of the team

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Stubborn socialite.

If Simmons goes to the next team, and he finds something that he doesn't like. What makes you think he won't pull this stunt again?

I'm not even a 76ers fan, but this kind of thing where a player is at the beginning of his big contract. He took the max and now wants to get traded. It's this kind of selfish entitled attitude that gives millennials a bad name.

76ers is not asking for Simmons' first born. They just asked him to shoot the friggin' ball.

[​IMG]

Why would any team want a guy whose feeling is so easily hurt.

#369 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Simmons 4 years left on that deal is a bigger turnoff than the shooting issues.

11. Williamson

Yeah. That's fine. It's still not telling your players to intentionally lose games. It's just not making the short sighted decision to put your team in the best position to win every game. If we were to take that approach, we wouldn't be planning on starting KPJ over John Wall, but KPJ's development is a lot more important for winning in the long term.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The equivalent to what they did would be benching kpj and bringing in a bunch of d league guys, or playing someone like house 44 minutes and giving him 25 shots

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'm one of the folks who was disappointed we didn't trade Harden for Simmons, and was a little upset at the Nets deal.

Looking back, I WAS DEAD WRONG. The Rockets made the right move. I do not want Simmons on this team. Let him go somewhere else.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Aren't there videos of him doing this every offseason? And then he still refuses to shoot?

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

More so than Walls contract??

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Wall has 2 years, so after next season he’s an expiring contract which can be an asset

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets get Simmons or he goes to 3rd team?

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

3rd team.

How about this trade? Brings back Kevin Love's lessor contract and let's Rockets get rid of John to a playoff contending team. Not a bad trade. 76ers get a couple of good picks out of it, Rockets don't give up any in the process. Not sure how Cavs feel about Russell, but seems like they are trying to compete with recent moves so this is a trade that does make them better. I'm sure some other fillers can be put in there.

tradenba-snap-1632792817633.png

Y2JT likes this.
  20. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

I like the 3rd team idea but not for Kevin Love when we have Wood, Theis and Sengun. I guess you save money though.