1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2021-2022 Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Idk about tanking, maybe not but competing is a super no. This squad isn't ready.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Tank? It’ll happen naturally through playing the rookies a lot of minutes and trading some of the vets at the deadline.

Verbal Christ, Plowman, ArtV and 4 others like this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But you don’t know if the pick you get next year after a tank will lead to one, either. You got the 2nd pick. You got your guy. Don’t toil around in the bottom. Press on. The logic of saying “don’t get a good player because it will mess up our draft pick” doesn't sit well with me. You’ve got to start trying to improve. The sooner the better.

ElPigto likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you mean contending or competing??

Competing = trying.
    I really think it is a bad idea to send young players out there and tell them not to try... bad habits become their lifetime work!

CVcrew and Y2JT like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The tank needs to continue.

You need to be focusing on gathering assets not win now pieces.

palmsnbananas and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

But it’s a pretty big assumption that the number 2 will be enough. There’s a reason why we were the worst team last and there’s a reason why Vegas thinks we will be a bottom 5 team this year.

It just seems unrealistic to expect to turn the corner a year after losing your superstar and being the worst team in the league.

#66 dmoneybangbang, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Corrosion likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Y2JT likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Which isn’t what the Rockets would do. Even the Sixers didn’t tell their young players to “not try”, they were just talentless.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Free agency isn't thing anymore for superstars. They already know where they're going before it begins, and many of them get there before their current contract even expires by forcing their way out.

I think we're going to be very disappointed if we're all expecting to grab a superstar FA when our cap room opens up. Much more likely, we'll overpay some nice role players - but it won't be too much of an overpay; they'll still be flippable deals. Basically, something similar to what the Knicks did this off-season.

theDude and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

So it would behoove the Rockets to trade for a young superstar amirite?

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Exactly

Try your best.

If you happen to be winning it means some of the young talent is quite good

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If he fits the organization's style, vision, and timeline, then yes absolutely. I wouldn't cash everything in on just any superstar, such as Lillard for example. Dame is great but he doesn't fit where we're at or what we're doing.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Win now pieces are 30yo players that can put you over the top. If a 25yo who is signed long term becomes available, you don’t pass on them because it might mess up next year’s pick. That person becomes part of your rebuild. They are just already the player you hope that pick becomes.

D-rock, Plowman, Y2JT and 1 other person like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would prefer not to even TALK of tanking until AFTER All Star break.

Let's see what the youngbloods and Silas can do first.

Verbal Christ, fattz, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

this. what a bs thread. and bs idea.

im ready to win.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

u don’t tell them not to try…no tank ever involves the players being told to not try

they’re just not gonna win a lot of games based on the current talent level

People can say they don’t want to tank, but look at this roster. Losses are inevitable whether it’s premeditated or not.

D-rock, Plowman, ArtV and 5 others like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well SI came out with it's top 30 prospects projected to come out for the
    next draft.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/02/2022-nba-draft-early-big-board

1) Banchero
    2) Chet Holmgren

3) Harden Hardy (6'4" guard.....we have Green, Christopher).....not worth tanking
    4) Yannick Nzosa (6'10" not as good as Garuba)......not worth tanking
    5) Caleb Houstan (6'8" Quintin Grimes.....good) but not worth tanking for
    6) Jabari Smith (6'10" I don't see him becoming as good as C Wood right now)......no tank
    **7) Patrick Baldwin (6'9" I did like)
    8) Jalen Duren (6'9" looks bored in videos, worried he is another Kawme Brown)...no tank
    **9) A J Griffin (6'6" I did like)
    10) Jaden Ivey (6'4" guard) hard pass on guard
    11) J D Davidson (6'3" guard) hard pass on guard
    12) Bennedict Mathurin (6'6" SG Ariza like)
    **13) Peyton Watson (6'8" I liked)
    14) Jean Montero (6'2" point guard)
    15) Dyson Daniels (6'6").....didn't care for him
    16) Jamie Jaquez (6'6" )....didn't care for him
    17) Ousmane Dieng (6'9").....no thanks
    18) Kendall Brown (6'8").......no thanks
    19) Nikola Jovic (6'10").....looks like Roko Prakcin but not as good.
    20) Damion Collins (6'9" Marvin Bagley that can shoot 3's some, handle the ball some)
    21) Tristan Vukevic (6'11") pass on him...........

There will be some heavy competition for #1 and #2 pick; but if the Rockets
    play hard I feel like they get a swing at adding **#7 Patrick Baldwin or **#9 A J Griffin
    or **#13 Peyton Watson. Any of those 3 could excel with the Rockets and be very good.

Can always package Nets pick and/or Bucks pick to move up. But unless it's for
    Banchero or Holmgren; I probably wouldn't.

#77 ApacheWarrior, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Tfor3 and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Tanking has not resulted in a championship in the modern NBA. Since they changed the rules around the draft lotto and since all players are now one and done and 19 years old when drafted, it has not guaranteed a thing. 20+ years since that strategy stopped working.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't believe anyone is intentionally tanking , the coaches and players are going to do their best to post W's .... But I think they are an organic tank because they are such a young squad , 4 rookies , 2 sophomores and 2 more in their 3rd season all expected to contribute significant minutes.

I think they'll be entertaining but they won't play much defense (aside from Tate & Nwaba) and that'll be the reason they don't win many games.

Vegas has them as the 3rd worst team in the league behind OKC & Orlando. Vegas isn't in the business of giving money away .... They are usually very close on their predictions.

This season , much like last isn't about wins and losses , its about these young guys getting their feet wet and improving. It'll just have the added byproduct of an early lottery pick as a bonus and I'm not the least bit unhappy with this direction.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree. You still go out there and play hard. And if miracles happen and they are somehow in the playoffs, then great, let the kids continue to play and enjoy and learn from it. They will be fun to watch but realistically we're not heading for the playoffs next year. Odds are we're in the bottom 1/4 teams. When the tank starts is when playoffs are out of reach in the last 15 games or so and you've got a few players that need some rest. We might have a contagious strain of planters facetious going around.

You don't tell your players not to try, you just rest them once they cards have been dealt. See which deep bench players you will invite back next year and who's Rockets' carrier is over.

ElPigto and Reeko like this.