1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those that have seen him in person in AAA, how does Pena look in the field? Does his glove-first reputation stand up? He's putting up Correa numbers at the plate in AAA so far. Really impressive. The consistent straight-away/opposite field pop is also really impressive.

Less than 10% chance of this happening, but if both Meyers and Pena are future stars up the middle....that would be really something. Basically would set us up for world series contention through at least 2024.

Htown Legend likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

When I saw him he didn’t get challenged that much but certainly looked fine on the plays that came his way. He was billed as an elite defensive SS out of the draft so I’d be really surprised if he wasn’t at least an above average defensive SS.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This dude Pena really born on the same day as Correa just 3 years later? September 22nd. Will be interesting to watch him develop. Hope he is legit if Correa leaves. :(

4. Nook

Nook Member

He is a long term shortstop and his glove isn't going to be a concern..... he is going to be above average and possibly better. He hasn't lost any real range or mobility with the muscle he has added. He is a workout freak that is really on top of modern fitness and made sure he added lean and strong muscle and core strength. He didn't take the Richard Hidalgo route of hitting just the bench 4x a week.

5. SuraGotMadHops

Is it time to start getting Yordan-level excited about Pena playing next year?

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

POSITION
    STARTERS
    OF 27 Siri (Replaces 36 Brantley if he decides to retire)
    OF 27 Myers
    OF 28 McCormick
    1B 27 Tucker (Replaces 39 Gurriel if he decides to retire)
    2B 33 Altuve
    3B 29 Bregman
    SS 25 Pena
    DH 26 Alvarez
    C 25 Lee Replaces 36 Maldenado who moves to mentor backup) 25 Diaz SL or callup.
    BENCH
    UT 25 Pedro Leon
    IF 23 Nova
    DH Dawson

PITCHERS
    STARTERS
    SP 29 McCullers
    SP 29 Valdez
    SP 26 Javier
    SP 28 Urquidy
    SP 25 Whitley
    RELIEF
    RP 26 Solomon
    RP 25 Brown
    RP 28 Dubin
    RP 27 Ivey

It's a start

I'd personally like to see 40 Verlander here and effective. Maybe even retire as an Astro with 4 or 5 WS. I wouldn't mind seeing if he can be another Nolan, but this time staying with the Astros.

vince likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Starting to wonder if they shouldn’t hold Pena out of the Dominican Winter League; he looks ready and no sense in risking an injury over there.

No Worries, Nook and BlindHog like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I would play him personally if he wants to play.

He is playing fantastic but he really hasn't played a lot of professional baseball the last few years and could use the reps.

HeyBudLetsParty and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind a 44-hr season with 122 RBIs with Tucker and Alvarez also in the lineup.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. htownbball

htownbball Member

I'd actually he rather play in the AFL

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Thats a pretty bad outfield

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I said that elsewhere yesterday and caught hell for it. If anything I would rather see him in Arizona and finish up early.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, too bad he really started to lift after that point or he may have been a hall of famer. Steroids and poor training.

King1 likes this.
  14. HeyBudLetsParty

MLB.com has Pena power at a 40, what’s the new number based on his recent performance I’d say minimum 50 possibly higher. With that being well improved I really see him having above average tools across the board, hard to not dream on his potential.

Side note, expecting next year to be one of the most exciting years for prospect call ups with the top 4 all expected to make debuts. Almost feel greedy expecting at least 2 to be stars.

King1 likes this.
  15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Probably a 50. A 55 grade would mean 25+ homers, and while he may be on a tear, he's not a home run hitter.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Altuve (currently sitting on 30 homers) was not considered a home run hitter by anyone when he was in the minors. He says working on his core in the weight room was the difference. That is exactly what Pena did during the covid shutdown.

17. htownbball

htownbball Member

So you think Jeremy Pena is a 30 home run hitter just based on this run he's had based on Altuve who was an elite hitter before he started hitting 20+ home runs?

18. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know how many homers Pena will end up hitting in the big leagues… but what I do know is that the power is clearly there now, he has been going opposite field for deep homers. He is being fooled some and still hitting the ball out. So I can’t tell you what the frequency will be but I can tell you the bat speed, power and carry on the ball is there to hit a lot of homers now… and only a few years ago he didn’t have any of those traits.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is it an aberration or a trend? We can only know after it's in the past.

20. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member