1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Atlantic] Not Getting Vaccinated to Own Your Fellow Libs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and here I was told all the anti-vaxxers were Trumpublicans

Not Getting Vaccinated to Own Your Fellow Libs
    They’ve aligned themselves with forces they despise. But lefty anti-vaxxers don’t see the contradiction.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...-now/620092/?scrolla=5eb6d68b7fedc32c19ef33b4

excerpt

Anti-vaxxers in the Taconics-Berkshires region include local organic farmers, members of homeschooling and alternative-education communities, anti-war hippies, and the occasional alt-right conspiracist. The anti-vax faction here has its roots in the left-libertarian politics of the Back to the Land movement, which flooded the area with the disaffected urban upper-middle class in the 1970s and ’80s. That influx of hippies and students, most of whom came from New York City, brought with it a political belief in naturopathy and a mistrust of institutional authority.

The progressives didn’t all leave, of course. But some have found themselves drawn to ideas that the national media tend to associate with conservatives. Enid Futterman, a local journalist and Bernie Sanders supporter whom I know through Facebook, is one example. She told me she finds the idea that COVID is caused by 5G cellphone towers more believable than person-to-person transmission. “I’ve read both sides, and that’s what makes sense,” Futterman said. “I’m not saying I’m right; I’m just saying that’s what makes sense to me.”

. . .Futterman told me she sees no contradiction between her views on vaccines and public health and her lefty Democrat political positions, citing the “open-minded” approach of liberalism. When I asked her whether her politics could survive her rejection of vaccines—which a majority of progressive politicians and leaders have been vocally in favor of—she said that pigeonholing her ideology was an error.

“I don’t like those labels,” Futterman said. “I do support Bernie Sanders.” She didn’t see “any disconnect between” her support for progressive values and her embrace of anti-vaccine conspiracy theories, she added. “I do see a disconnect between me and a lot of Democrats, which is sort of shocking, but true.”
    more at the link

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

3. Major

Major Member

This seems more like a reflection of your reading comprehension skills and/or a desperate need to latch onto to mythical strawman arguments.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I doubt that.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Antivax started out as a left leaning ideology among the crunchy mothers in California and Colorado years ago.

apollo33, Invisible Fan and King1 like this.
  7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The article and the title don't really match up. The author came at this totally backwards, framing it through covid, then questioning where in the asscracks of liberalism sprung these deviants. They were already a vocal minority throughout the decades and were large hosts for the original anti-vax movement that claimed some were unsafe and caused autism in children.

These kooky bastards aren't necessarily extreme hippies as I don't think hippies buy into chakra rings and mood crystals or do quack practices (urine drinking, random herbs, etc...) as replacement for modern medical treatments

I think the most interesting point in the whole thing, one that ties into "owning libs", would be about that festival. It was likely a boring waste of time whereby the writer or his editor told him to spruce this unvetted dogshit up while keeping the title.

What's left out is the intersectionality with this group and QAnon. There was an article while back about a central California woman who was mostly mild mannered in her social feeds and posted a few Bernie articles a decade ago, but some how some way went cuckoo for Coco puffs upon discovering Q, transforming her FB with posts of QAnon garbage and raising hell in her local city councils.

Maybe "that" story is played out or seemingly has nothing to do with the hot topic of politicizing Covid. But it's a more diligent form of reporting on the origins of these "nutty lefty traitors".

They were mostly there from the beginning. It was there political climate of vaccines that caused this journo to create a narrative of them around that false central premise.

#8 Invisible Fan, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Deckard and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That thread is accurate. There is a "Trumpublican" anti-vaxx movement, and that's the biggest one by the numbers. Doesn't mean all people who are anti-vaxx are part of that movement. There is the "my body is a temple" anti-vaxx crowd. There's the "can't trust white folks" anti-vaxx crowd. It's not homogeneous.

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fify

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So the guy uses a "click bait" title and a column he had to twist into a pretzel in an effort make the two fit in order to get himself in The Atlantic. As @Invisible Fan accurately pointed out, there have always been "anti-vaxxers" who were hippies back in the day or "of the Left." I knew a few back in the '60's, but they were always a vanishingly small minority. Still are.

They're just getting more publicity today due to the legions of trumpsters buying into the bizarre conspiracy theories floating around. Any group of people that could somehow be associated with "the Left," no matter how tenuous the connection or how small their number, that can be tossed into the soup that makes up trump's GOP are going to get attention. They got your own.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

related

The Last Glimpses of California's Vanishing Hippie Utopias
    Half a century ago, a legion of idealists dropped out of society and went back to the land, creating a patchwork of utopian communes across Northern California. Here, the last of those rogue souls offer a glimpse of their otherworldly residences—and the tail end of a grand social experiment.

https://www.gq.com/story/californias-vanishing-hippie-utopias

Turbo likes this.
  13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

People that don't get vaccinated are in the following order:

1. Black People
    2. Hispanic People
    3. Trumpers
    4. Granola Hippy Liberals (the anti vax OGs!)

Common thread? Distrust of the government.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this some Millennial derogatory term?

[​IMG]

I'm also not calling them Anti-Mask or Anti-Vax any more. I'm calling them Pro-Plaguers

15. HTM

HTM Member

Are the granola jesus freaks democrats or republicans? It's very confusing.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Then Donald Trump said something, and the red hat cultists fell right in line with their Dear Leader.

Annnnnnnnd that is why so many "anti-vaxxers" are Trump fans/Republicans now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Liberal/Republican/etc etc aside.

The vast majority of anti-vaxxers / conspiracy theorists have one thing in common. Ignorance, not understanding how things work (because they're uneducated). And since they can't understand basic sh*t, they claim CONSPIRACY. An example of this is, people don't know how elections are conducted, a spike in the graph that favors Biden? It's a conspiracy!! People don't know how vaccines work, so it must be a conspiracy! When you don't understand SH*T, everything seems like a conspiracy! LOL

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol

Most vaccine-hesitant group is those with PhDs, research shows

https://www.thecollegefix.com/most-vaccine-hesitant-group-is-those-with-phds-research-shows/

excerpt

A study conducted by Carnegie Mellon University and University of Pittsburgh researchers found that vaccine hesitancy is highest among those with a PhD.

The online survey of more than 5 million adults was conducted between January 6 and May 31. People who said “probably not” or “definitely not” when asked if they would get the vaccine were considered vaccine hesitant.

“There was not a decrease in hesitancy among those with a professional degree or PhD,” the paper states.

A news release regarding the results explained further: “Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a Ph.D.); by May Ph.D.’s were the most hesitant group.”
    more at the link

19. Major

Major Member

A key difference is that two of these groups proactively goes around trying to get other people to not get vaccinated. Black and Hispanic people mostly make a personal decision due to distrust of government or not thinking its important. The other two groups scream about conspiracy theories and how the vaccine is evil.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Will Dr's lead an anti-vax movement?

Who knew there were so many hippy doctors out there, far out man.

I hope an educated man like yourself wouldn't insist the term lead ='s all

I might have to insist one is making a... bad faith argument if that's the case. ;)