1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The time for tanking was done once the draft was over. You throw Simmons in the mix and this is your team for the next 4 seasons. With at least one trip to the finals.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol no

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

…and?

the actual DPOY proved to be completely useless as well. Both Simmons and Gobert are among the most overrated and overpaid players in the league. You need to have at least some ball skills to be making this kind of money. These are utility players paid like superstars because some clueless ANALytics idiots thought that actual basketball skill doesn’t matter anymore…

mario_v and juanming like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bro you forgot analytics hates people who cant shoot as well. Lets all admit Morey been trying to offload Simmons the moment he got the job...

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I would trade for Simmons, but 3-4 firsts is a hell no, especially the specific picks PHI would ask for.

My final offer, which I'm well aware would be rejected: Wall + House + MIL 2023 pick + BKN 2024 pick.

In other words, I'm willing to give up bad picks, but absolutely nothing that will land in the top 20.

I also would not include Christian Wood in trade talks for any reason.

34to11, Corrosion, csnerd84 and 5 others like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Here's a Morey and Disciples three way that works:

Houston receives:
    Tobias Harris

Minnesota receives:
    Ben Simmons

Philadelphia receives:
    John Wall
    Malik Beasley
    Taurean Prince

The VERY FIRST thing is that Harris still has 3 years and $112 million owed including this upcoming year. Huge contract make no mistake about it but Harris would look fairly attractive as a 3rd option for a win-now team like Dallas, Portland, Boston, etc. Essentially he's an easier move at the trade deadline than Wall would, imo. For example, let's say Boston is in desperate need of a stretch 4. They could trade us Horford (last year is partially guaranteed) and a 1st for Harris at the deadline. If we want to do a better salary dump maybe we engage the Clippers in a Harris for Bledsoe/Ibaka/1st swap. Or maybe the Warriors eventually get tired of Wiggins and his anti-vax stance (which could see him miss games) and do a 1:1 swap with us getting a pick in return. Harris is definitely getting paid 1st/2nd option money but is better suited as the 3rd option on a team like Boston with Tatum/Brown, the Clippers with Kawhi/PG, or GS behind Steph/Klay. These teams don't have to worry about the salary cap because they need to contend now. In the end we didn't even give up any picks to move Wall but rather getting one back in return if/when Harris is traded.

Philly gets back depth and two players that could start for them in Beasley and Prince. This also affords Morey to blow up the team in two years and rebuild around Embiid with Wall's cap hit coming off the books and the only major cap hit on their roster in 2023 would be Embiid. Minnesota would have to cough up some of their picks to Philly.

Minnesota gets, I guess, their guy and try to get into the playoffs with a KAT,Simmons,Edwards, and Russell core.

Call me crazy but I can see this happening.

Corrosion and joshuaao like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't give up assets for Ben Simmons, you give up your trash (Wall) and your veteran.

How the salaries work I don't know, but if you can get rid of Wall & Gordon for Simmons + contracts it might be a win win.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Houston should not, under almost any circumstance, make a trade that will improve the team for this coming season. The ONLY priorities are 1. Developing the kids and 2. Having a bottom 3 record. NOTHING else matters.

juanming, ilias, peleincubus and 3 others like this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

I meant that he seems to be able to do a little bit of almost everything on the basketball court, not that he’s perfect. But you already knew that….which makes me wonder why you commented this.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was responding to your post where you said he's flawless. His assist:turnover ratio is not good. And he demands the ball a lot.

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Site was down for a bit. First thing that came to my mind was John Wall must have been traded! What a letdown...

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

it will almost certainly be a bad thing if he's traded, either a loss of picks or someone coming in to ruin this years pick

peleincubus likes this.
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

100% agree. Tank v1 is over. After Tank v2 is over and Wall becomes an expiring, it's time to play.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

As always, it’s not that simple and won’t happen anytime soon, and most likely not ever.

The roadblocks, however, are not about the players and their largely inaccurately diminished reputations, as fills the discussions about the biggest names that can call the movers once they find out where they are moving.

There is — for now — little chance of a deal between the Sixers and Rockets while former Rockets GM Daryl Morey is seeking superstar return for his flawed All-Star guard. He is not offering James Harden. He is barely offering the version of Harden he acquired when Harden was an Oklahoma City reserve and Morey acquired him for Kevin Martin, his recent late lottery pick (Jeremy Lamb,) and a future late lottery pick (from Toronto that became Steven Adams.)

The Rockets would not even consider a deal at that current price, needing to add a pile of picks that the Rockets need to keep, even if it got them off Wall’s heavy contract.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I remember when people claimed theres no risk in hiring Carmelo Anthony at vet minimum and if he doesnt fit you simply cut him... well that ended up messing with the precious teams chemistry (and also resulted in taking a huge PR hit....).

You want benn simmons away from your young talented hardworking core not around them....
    [​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Can Collin Sexton be another Morey steal?

PHI: Sexton, Wall, Tate + Cavs FRP + Bucks FRP
    CLE: Simmons, House, Seth
    HOU: Mobley, Thybulle, Love

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I can't see this deal happening.
    Morey will more than likely have to bite the bullet and sell really low on Simmons, however it won't be to us...For John Wall.

Fultz not working out really messed the sixers up.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

The Melo thing was when we were contending and couldn’t have risked messing with chemistry. Though, at the time, I didn’t think it would have been as bad as it turned out to be. Injuries, combined with Ennis really flopping as the Ariza replacement is what doomed us more than Melo drama.

sure you COULD be risking messing with their growth, but the hit to chemistry won’t be drastic as the team wouldnt likely be the same in 2 years anyways (when we’d presumably look to move off Simmons and possibly get more than we give up to get him). Again, developing v contending. Seems like now is an appropriate time to consider the risk.

Because IF Simmons improves a LITTLE in simply TAKING those shots and improving to 70+ on free throws, you have a very very very good front court. Wood and Simmons and point forward could be dominant. Couple that with KPJ and Green…wow. And fun. They grow together and can be insanely good. KPJ would need to become a little bit more efficient, particularly on his outside shot, to maximize his potential alongside Simmons.

so in the event of 1 FRP that isn’t 2025+ along with Wall…definitely seems like a worthy risk. If you put a tough dawg glue guy (Tate) in that lineup…I’m intrigued. Very intrigued.

D-rock likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thank you for a long letter..appreciate...but summary of my point(forgive me for not giving too much thoughts on how to profit on a bust of such an epic proportions):
    we can be dominant without simmons...we have a precious thing going here already...prety good fc already...and simmons can only dream of being as good as sengun....

i prefer some loser franchise take the risk of improving simmons ... and good luck with that!

hes a deeply DEEPLY FLAWED player, overpaid with a problematic personality and problematic representing agency... yeah... you need a miracle to cure that one

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Again - reiterating that I’m against a Simmons deal, but if there is one to be had, here is what it might look like:

Houston In: Simmons

76ers in: EGo, House, KMJ, 2022 Nets, 2023 Milwaukee

That is the absolute highest price I’d be willing to pay. If they hang up, I’m fine with that. They aren’t getting our later picks or swaps.

D-rock likes this.