1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why City Design is Important (and Why I Hate Houston)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting
    Never Really thought about it
    but
    definitely a Car City

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut and tinman like this.
  2. NateNate

NateNate Member

Honestly it feels like there’s no hope. Certainly not that far out of the loop.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When we moved to Austin in 1980, we drove around looking for a house to rent and ended up in south central Austin. One thing jumped out at us real quick. Sidewalks were being built in several different areas of that old part of town. Not so much on the main streets, which already had them, but in the neighborhoods. I don't know if a bond election had passed the year before, or if the city was just flush at the time, but it blew our minds. You simply didn't see that in Houston, unless it was a new development.

Odd what you might notice when you move to a new city. I noticed new sidewalks in old neighborhoods, and the girls. Girls everywhere. It was the beginning of June and I came close to having an accident a couple of times driving in the Town Lake area. Of course, I was with a girl, but I sure enjoyed the view. It was Austin and the end of an era, but certain aspects of the '60's and '70's were still hanging on there. I'll leave it at that.

mikol13, B-Bob, JayZ750 and 4 others like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Doesn't walking pretty much suck across Texas? Well, except in maybe some of the newer neighborhoods. Mostly because nobody wants to walk outside when it's 100 degrees or mosquitoes are eating you alive.

Rashmon likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Alright... he lost me at 11:37 of that video... we're done here. :D

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lake Travis > Clear Lake

ATXNekko and Deckard like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude lots of people walk in Houston
    Have you gone to the Galleria?!

Rocket River and Jontro like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

LOL

Lake Travis = Lake Conroe

and that is not a compliment

Deckard and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Lake Travis >>>>>>>>>>>> Lake Conroe
    [​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

didn't watch the vid...

but i remember riding the metro once in my life from downtown. the wait was like 2 hours. maybe things are better now since i've left town

tinman likes this.
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If you don't like it here, you can go back to California

the shark, MIAGI99, tinman and 2 others like this.
  12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If it’s so terrible please move to California where I’m sure your dollar travels soooooo much further.

MIAGI99 and tinman like this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I kept waiting and waiting for this guy to say something about the weather. And when he finally does, he says "sure, there might be a few bad weather days...but that's no excuse."

Uh.....a few bad weather days? When did he visit Houston? February? Clearly it wasn't July or August.

I'm sorry that people in Houston don't want to casually stroll around town at 4pm during the summer time (which is basically half the year) like people do in other cities. We prefer cars with air conditioning so we don't, you know, pass out from heat exhaustion.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

After living in a city with a common grid design that extends through the suburbs (the entire metro area shares a common urban planning design), its really hard to go back to the complete chaos that is Houston's "urban plan."

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The guys not wrong in the fact that the city design is terrible. There should be more public transit thats easily available. Walking should be promoted in denser areas like downtown. He gets a lot right, hes just not aware of all the factors that could hinder such things(weather).

Rocket River and ima_drummer2k like this.
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It’s not just Houston most major cities in the US are designed to sell cars.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Compared to many other large cities Houston is well laid out for the mass of people to travel the plethora of miles on their daily commute . Of course it isn't walkable but who wants to die in the heat & humidity which lasts from June to mid Sept?

Rashmon and Rocket River like this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I also didn't watch the video. I prefer reading. Appears to be something about the car-centricity of Houston and how it's not built for walking, judging from comments. In which case, I don't need to watch it. I've lived it. But wanted to say I've started working downtown and using metro for the first time in a very long while. To get to and from downtown, it's not terrible -- especially after you've seen the prices for contract parking downtown.

mikol13, B-Bob and VooDooPope like this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

The downtown tunnels is a much larger network than you might expect. Basically all the walking and retail you would normally see in a metro downtown, but air-conditioned.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, he said he lived in Canada and moved to the Netherlands because he thought it was best for the reasons mentioned in the video. He didn't really care for any US city he visited. Not sure how poor California keeps getting thrown into these arguments. :D

That being said, I enjoy road trips and driving and meeting others in backwoods places, so I can't do the live, work, play, eat in 1 square mile thing. I'd go nuts relying on public transportation. The few times I took public transportation, it was ok, but it's unreliable and I don't know if someone is gonna piss on, vomit on or shoot me. Maybe all 3. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating ...