1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

True because of injuries but I think a lot of that is the load he had to carry.

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s apparently a lot of load management going on there, too. He missed the entire first two years of his career, so I’m sure there’s an abundance of caution there. But with that and the 10-20 games he misses each year from an actual injury, it’s surprising he doesn’t get more criticism.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I definitely don’t see any flaws in his game. He’s injury prone but otherwise he’s fantastic. Philly has to be feeling pressure to build around him properly.

luckyman76 likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. 7uche

7uche Member

Because Philly doesn’t want picks and rebuilding pieces. They want someone like Dame/Lavine/Beal

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets were never going to keep all their FRP anyway.

Especially all the Nets FRP which will be end of the 1st.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't claim Simmons to be perfect. Because of this I wouldn't recommend the Rockets
    pay more than 2 first round picks. About this time last season I said Morey needed to deal
    either Simmons or Embiid. The fit doesn't mesh. They actually could have received
    more than what they will now.

Do I think Simmons is worthy of $51 million per year due to defensive capabilities?
    No, but a condensed amount is reasonable. Of his $33 million this season, I would
    say $20 million justifies that portion. Then $13 million allocated for his offensive
    skills sets currently.

People don't want to pay Simmons but are ok paying Wall ($44M to sit? then $47M),
    Kevin Love ($31.3M and 28.9M?), Ricky Rubio ($17.8M), Andrew Wiggins ($31.6M),
    Westbrook ($44M and $47M), DeRozan ($26M, $27.3M, $28.6M), Eric Gordon $18M,
    Augustin ($7M and $7 NG).

Yes I get it, some are expiring contracts; but in not paying Simmons people will
    end up paying the same money to journeymen scrubs playing probably less quality.
    Simmons has gone to 3 straight All Star games....how many A-S appearances has Eric
    Gordon, Wall, Westbrook, Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre, DeRozan, Augustin, Andrew Wiggins,
    Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love been in recently?

Olajuwon was a poor free throw shooter coming out of college.
    Downfall of Phi Slamma Jamma was poor FT shooting. NCST
    Wolfpack took advantage of that.

Olajuwon:
    age 22: 6.7 FTA's...................61.0% (FT%) rookie.../ Simmons 56% (FT%) age 21
    age 23: 7.9 FTA's....................64.5% (FT%)............./ Simmons 60% (FT%) age 22
    age 24: 7.6 FTA's....................70.2% (FT%).........../ Simmons 62.1% (FT%) age 23
    age 25: 6.9 FTA's....................69.5% (FT%).........../ Simmons 61.3% (FT%) age 24
    age 26: 8.0 FTA's....................69.6% (FT%)
    age 27: ...................................71.3% (FT%)
    age 28: ...................................76.9% (FT%)

So free throw shooting can improve as evidence by Olajuwon.
    In the first 31 games of 20/21 Simmons shot 67.1% from the line.
    Then playing top notch defense took a toll and he got tired, idk?
    Improving endurance may help

Like LeBron at one point, if Simmons can get comfortable hitting
    FT's.....he could be a beast in this league.

Now I see Doc is begging for Simmons to stay. We'll see how this
    soap opera turns out.

Simmons allows Green or Porter to set up defensively on a spot shooter like
    the way the Warriors do with Steph Curry. Saving the offensive juggernauts
    more energy at that end. Wood also benefits.

#309 ApacheWarrior, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol he couldnt make sixers contending team for 5 years straight....now hes gonna make the worst team in the league contenders lolololol

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol how come hes fantastic and he couldnt get out of 2nd round of PO 5 years straight in the Leastern Conference surrounded with multiple allstars elite shooters and coaches?
    hes not fantastic, hes solid but overrated and loser mentality(since raised on a loser culture team)

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I stand by my words: Simmons will be out of the league in a couple of years.

13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Ben Simmons averaged less points and assists and shot worse than John Wall but somehow trading Wall and draft capital for this guy would make us an instant contender. RIDICULOUS.

NewAge likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In the last two games of the Hawks series he had 4 assists and 16 turnovers.

hes not flawless that’s for sure.

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Don’t look at a few games….look at his overall bio which is that of an all star player. We need Simmons!!!

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

pleasantly surprised, always estimated the lunatic fringe at larger than 10%

17. sogood.

sogood. Member

Yeah it's not like he's a DPOTY candidate or anything.... oh wait.

tc0330 and D-rock like this.
  18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

anyone can be a candidate that the media says is a candidate, it's a media award. In reality no wing player should ever be in contention because their impact isn't big enough compared to someone like gobert or embiid

ashleyem likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes because Ben Simmons the PG wasn't an efficient scorer. Ben Simmons the PF would be.

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Simmons won't be out of the league until he is hurt or retires, that is a little ridiculous. Plenty of 6'10 guys that can't shoot outside are in this league. I don't want the Rockets to trade for him, even if its a bargain for obvious reasons, but to imply he doesn't belong in the league is a stretch.

I don't want him because I think he will make the Rockets good enough to leave the lottery, but not good enough to win a chip. I think in today's era, with a few exceptions, you need a big 3, and if one of them is Ben Simmons then you're likely not winning a ring. But, in 2024, when OKC has our pick, I would absolutely take been Simmons on a MLE contract, maybe more.

ElPigto and D-rock like this.