1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do not trade for Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

To be fair to the 19 year old Garuba, Simmons, cheered by Sixers fans when his selection as the #1 pick of the 2016 draft was announced (and there's irony for you), has several years of experience in the NBA on the kid (although he really doesn't look like he's 19). Most of us have a pretty fair idea of the very real talent Simmons has, as well as his shortcomings. He's had the spotlight on him, for sure. In fact, he's probably a bit tired of it right about now.

As for Usman, Garuba could develop a 3 point shot. At his age, we just don't know. Real Madrid didn't play him for his offense, which he's been quoted as saying became a bit frustrating. Part of the fun of this draft is being able to see how each pick develops. Personally, I'm most intrigued by Sengun. Even though Sengun had me interested in him before the draft, his play in the Summer League was a real eye opener. It's pretty obvious what we have with Jalen, an elite talent scoring the ball. Perhaps a generational talent. An All Star. Maybe more.

The irony is that we may not end up getting Ben, after plowing through pages and pages discussing and deconstructing the possibility (no pun intended). There sure is a lot of "noise" about the possibility, though. Enough to reasonably think that something is going on, but we're down to maybe, maybe no. The classic ClutchFans answer to every conundrum.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  2. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

If it’s Wall/House/1 protected FRP I’d do it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Simmons needs the ball, KPJ needs the ball, JG needs the ball, there is only 1 ball....

Simmons doesn't fit.

DD

luckyman76 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

A trade for Simmons only makes sense if it's some combination of Wall, Gordon + heavily protected FRP, in which case the Rockets can try to salvage value out of him (which should be easy assuming Simmons becomes extremely motivated to show the world Philly used him incorrectly).

Otherwise, the Rockets run the risk of him pouting and threatening to not report to training camp, whilst also being stuck with him for 4 years. This is a legitimate risk because Simmons is stress testing the league's system to properly discipline players that straight up will not honor the contract that they signed.

D-rock likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Just wanna be on record. I was a big Simmons for harden guy. So naturally I'm all for Simmons for wall. I'll give up 2 of those Brooklyn picks which I've always viewed as picks that won't be good.

ilias, D-rock, Plowman and 1 other person like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

Wait, you can put sesame seeds on onion rings. Crazy. Too many issues for a young team. A distraction, salary problems, and the inability to finish. No like. Is he better than House. Yes. Is he worth the baggage, No.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Simmons doesn't "need" the ball. He can be a great off ball slasher and plays great defense and can run the fast break really well. He could be a better version of Keynon Martin or even a Draymond Green. Ya Green does need the ball in his hands sometimes to be an effective point forward but it really doesn't take away touches from Steph or KD when he was there.

Simmons could be part of a small ball line up with Wood as the other big. That way the team as 4 shooters to space the floor with Simmons on the court.

I wouldn't mind Simmons if the trade doesn't require us to empty out our draft capital. One first round pick with Wall and maybe House or EG would be something I would accept. I know the Sixers would like having someone lien EG. Great thing about EG is he fits in pretty much any team that is in win now mode. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. Good defender and good career shooter when healthy.

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  8. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The salaries don't match for a straight up Simmons/Wall deal. 76ers would have to send another player or two back to make salaries work.

Does anyone really think the 76ers are about to give up Simmons plus a player like Tobias Harris or Curry for Wall? Lol. No way Simmons is traded to Houston

Xopher and amaru like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harris would not be included. His salary is too high AND Rivers loves him. Harris is coming off his best season of career to boot.

Simmons + Thybulle for Wall + picks works.

Even Simmons + Thybulle + Reed for Wall + Tate or Garuba + picks works as well.

House, Augustin and/or EGo would need to be moved in separate trade. Or just waive Khyri.

But I agree with your conclusion, highly unlikely this trade happens.

Rich Paul is a snake.

#249 D-rock, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    amaru likes this.
  10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Completely misses the point. Garuba is making close to the league minimum and has nothing to do with Simmons. How can you not see the gigantic problem with what you just stated? You bring Simmons here and you are taking the ball out of his hands and ASKING him NOT to do what he is best at because KPJ and JG are the back court. We don't want a point forward and are not changing the offense and team to be driven by Simmons. Simmons not being able to shoot BREAKS his effectiveness as a floor general. Shooting is an essential part of the game. Minimum defenders aren't asked to do much, MAX players are not supposed to have any holes because they are essential cogs for any team like Harden. Simmons is NOT a max player.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I would bet on Garuba developing a 3pt shot over Simmons. Not saying either one is better than a 50/50 proposition, but still, I’d bet on Garuba first if I had to.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

KPJ is not a good shooter and seems to play way better with the ball in his hands. Him and Simmons would not be that effective unless Simmons can change to his actual role which is an undersized Center.

I mean most of the time when he played with Philly he sits in the dunker's spot doing nothing for entire possession at a time unless someone throws him a lob.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Simplistic closed minded thinking.

Simmons would still handle ball in transition, where he is at his best. Think Russ when he was on the Rockets, just running teams into the ground.

Simmons is also excellent setting screens and rolling hard to basket.

And as a short roller, Simmons would be even more devastating to opposing defenses than Jeff Green. Simmons is the best in setting up assists for 3 points.

The BEST since he entered the NBA in 2017.

And just because you lack the creativity to even imagine utilizing a talent like Simmons does not mean Silas is similarly inept.

15. Nook

Nook Member

A couple points on this.

First, I do think that the Rockets need to keep a close eye on Simmons and his availability. He is an extremely good defender, arguably the best in the NBA and an exceptional rebounder and passer... but he is also a mental midget that will not improve in the way you would hope from someone with his talent.

Second, it isn't as easy as "lottery pick or Simmons" being better..... because the lottery pick will cost a lot less salary-wise and adding Simmons to this Rockets team will likely push a top 5-8 pick into the 10-15 range.

Last, the Rockets have to pick a course and remain on it..... if the idea is a 3-5 year full rebuild, then don't get Simmons and move Wood for more assets when the time is right..... and wait and see if Porter proves he is good enough, and Green and other young players (some still in high school) blossom.... if that ISN'T the plan, then see if they can extend Wood and get Simmons for some of the Nets picks and move on..... in theory; Wood and Simmons next to each other with Porter and Green in the backcourt.... could be a really good team if Green or Porter turns into a top 10 player.

pippendagimp, amaru and D-rock like this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would not bet MY money on either of them becoming even an average 3ball shooter.

Nook likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

76ers still need a PG if they did this.

But Philly may not get a better deal.

19. vince

vince Member

Simmons is a talented guy, no doubt about it. But, his lack of shooting, even free throws makes him a huge liability on the court. The 76'ers found that out the hard way, it could be argued they lost that series against the Hawks because of Simmons playing.

And when coaches, players, fans start pointing fingers (publicly) at Simmons, it means they are beyond frustrated by him.

Simmons definitely needs a new environment, but who's going to overpay to get him? Especially with his hands of stone shooting!!!

20. ilias

ilias Member

Everyone just relax. Most likely this is Stone doing Morey a solid, getting the Wolves / Kings to up their offer.

D-rock likes this.