1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

There is something to say about a defender that can shut down others

Deon Sanders taking half the field away from the quarterback
    or
    Ben Wallace, Rodman, Ron Attest clamping down on the best offensive player
    of the other team.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

See a fan wanting to compete now using anecdotal evidence to justify their point while disregarding that most NBA Champs have built their team with a rebuild or by having flexibility to add top tier stars.

4. Chamillionaire

Nobody wants John Wall. The worst contract in the league (Love). We are going to have to give up assets to get rid of that contact and take back undesirable contracts. Of course, other teams are going to outbid us if in fact we did want Simmons in the first place.

amaru, hakeem94, lakersuck2 and 2 others like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's a cop out

A which came first the chicken or the egg?

Every team drafts so every championship team can say they did it first by drafting

Boston did it first by drafting Jaylon Brown and then Jayson Tatum...traded or added free agents
    like Kemba Walker and Teague last year......where is the championship?

You make losing seem as automatic to bringIng wins every year......and better yet winning a championship.
    Thus more money generated. One does not beget the other necessarily.

Teams being competitive puts bottoms in the stands more often than not.
    To an owners delight. More tickets sales, more merchandise sold, concessions, parking,
    luxury boxes, TV viewership, etc

#225 ApacheWarrior, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree wrt the Rockets, but for the 76ers, their fans loved his trades.

Across 3 trades, he flipped Josh Richardson and Horford’s horrible contract (and bad fit) for Seth Curry, Danny Green and George Hill, to surround Embiid with 40% shooters and some veteran defense.

It was working in the playoffs, until Green got injured in Game 3 vs ATL.
    Ficking Seth shot 60% from 3 on over 4 makes/game vs Atlanta.

maybe those were Do Something Morey type trades, but they had a competent strategy behind them, that was about basketball and not LTS.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think he means then Wiz trades. Wall (and future lottery-protected 1st) for WB, then WB for KCP, Montrezl and Kuzma.

Easy likes this.
  8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It would be interesting. I'm down for it. Don't know about all those first rounders though. Maybe a few of the BK first rounders along with Wall, and call it a day. We'd have a shot to be good if Jalen is a star and KPJ doesn't spiral out of control. Ugh writing that now makes me realize how bad we could be this year.

D-rock, theDude and Plowman like this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we are that bad this year, then we should get a very good pick next year. If we aren't that bad, then it means our rebuild is ahead of schedule. These are both true whether we make the trade or not. Those Nets picks exist to make this sort of move. We aren't drafting difference makers with them.

10. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Rockets will likely facilitate the trade...with Wall and 1 pick going to Philly and a third team giving up multiple picks to acquire Simmons.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I like this perspective, Dude. I welcome this season with this balanced mindset

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I was referring to the subsequent trades by Washington and Oklahoma. But admittedly, I wasn’t even thinking of our costs. I still think you can flip Simmons for something more in a year. Even if he doesn’t really improve on the shot, a competing team missing a piece could pay heavily with futures for a guy like him.

I’m only willing to gamble one first. And not just any. Not next years and not the post 23 picks. That’s my risk threshold.

is his work ethic questionable? Or are we judging him based on social media posts, timing and assumptions? Genuine question. Are there reports prior to this off-season of his work ethic or commitment? I don’t remember any.

What can we realistically flip Wall for now that doesn’t cost us?

what could we flip him for as an expiring?

none of those guarantee a player of Simmons caliber, deficiencies and all.

I have zero concerns of him regressing.

theDude likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think the cap space is a bigger deal than the draft pick .... Imagine Wood , KPJ & Tate become foundational pieces who's combined cap hold is $24m ..... Wall & EG expire and you have $60 million to add talent to that core with before you extend them and still have this years draft class plus next years draft class on rookie deals - That's a stacked team.

2023/24 roster

Wood
    KPJ
    Tate
    Sengun
    Green
    Christopher
    $30m FA
    $30m FA
    2022 first round pick
    Nwaba
    Theis
    Garuba
    Brooks
    House
    KMart
    Khyri

#233 Corrosion, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    theDude, Easy and peleincubus like this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I am willing to trade Wall for BILL Simmons if it means the Ringer is friendlier to us.

amaru, heypartner, Bids9 and 4 others like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. The gamble is that we can conceivably be stuck with a dead weight prima donna, one year longer than we are stuck with Wall. (At least Wall is acting quite cooperatively--so far.) I mean, look at Philly. I wouldn't want the Rockets to be in the same situation. One lottery proected FRP is the maximum I am willing to pay for that gamble. This is really a high risk-medium reward gamble.

I am not an insider. I seem to remember some posters with knowledge here (e.g. Nook) have said that about Simmons. I don't think the rumors in the media about his bad attitude are all BS. Neither the Simmons camp nor the Philly organization would have any incentive to say things that would lower Simmons' perceived value. If those are outright lies, they probably would come out to say something.

Even if you totally dismiss what's reported in social media, you need only to look at the hard facts. Simmons has not improved his game for 4 full seasons. In fact, last playoffs showed that he seemed to have regressed. And he has been quoted to say that he does not believe he needs to change his game. If these facts aren't huge red flags of the dude's work ethic, I don't know what is.

heypartner and peleincubus like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is what the Rockets are going to do and what I want them to do.

If somehow someway the Nets flame out as well keep those picks. You never know. Even if they don’t you could take shots at role players for filling team needs as well. There seems to be a TON of wealth on the Rockets with ample flexibility. Just be patient and don’t fu*k it up.

KPJ is still my favorite player if he pans out ans improves oh man!!

fattz and Easy like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or we let him rot on the bench as we rebuild.

DD

tycoonchip and Chamillionaire like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh i was talking about heart
    this dude has less heart than Tmac

Tmac quit cause he felt he was not allowed to shoot and dominate the ball enough

Ben Simmons quit cause he doesn't want to shoot

raining threes likes this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We are not in win mode, just wait out wall shtty contract and not give up assets to continue the sht cycle of bad contracts.

jim1961, tycoonchip and amaru like this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be good with that, too. This trade would send Wall to the Sixers and Simmons to Portland. We would then have the option to buy out the players who are on expiring contracts this year and only have ~$5.5M on the books next year. It would save the Rockets nearly $60M in actual salary payout while preserving the playing time for the current team members (and likely ensuring their high draft pick next year).

This also puts the Rockets into the free agent market a year early, though I'm not sure there will be anyone available who would make a significant impact.

D-rock and Corrosion like this.