1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Gotta say I came into this thread thinking anyone voting yes had to just be a total idiot or a troll. This is a nice argument and while I still don't agree, I can at least see the rationale here.

xaos, hakeem94 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

That's certainly a compelling argument but the devil is in the details. I could talk myself into it, as I originally voted for the Sixers package over the Nets. However, I have soured dramatically on Simmons and would be wary of gambling some our war chest on him.

Be crazy if instead of Harden for Simmons + picks we go to Jalen Green + Simmons for Wall + picks. If that makes sense.

3. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

There's no way Morey works with us, especially what happened last season.

4. Bids9

Bids9 Member

Morey is a businessman, a good one at that. There is no way he dosent work with us if its the best offer his business receives.

ThatboyPhuong and Big Time Titan like this.
  5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yes I'm definitively thinking like a fan. I think Stone thinks like a fan. I know Tilman thinks like a business man (see how he runs his businesses). Hopefully Tilman has learned his lesson on butting in and forcing trades to sell seats but we'll see.

But if he throws more than 1 FRP in, he's an idiot. Morey is the one that's screwed.

hakeem94 and fattz like this.
  6. Big Time Titan

He’ll play hardball with us and squeeze every last bit he can out of us. BUT I think ultimately, if we’re the only team interested, we’ll get him.

I’m not a big Simmons fan but if it’s essentially a Wall for Simmons deal I say we should go for it. Worst case use him up and then trade him away if it doesn’t work out. Low risk high reward in my opinion.

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It literally is Torture, no Offensive IQ in creating his own shot.

A Fake Karl Malone Post Up Fadeaway brick, Fastbreak Dunk, Midrange brick, Has a WIDE open 3 pointer and his defender is 10 feet away in the paint doubling Embiid and Ben is looking around to pass.

hakeem94 and King1 like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How was Westbrook flipped for more? We gave up 4 FRP and CP3 for him. And later we traded him to get an injury prone Wall and a future protected FRP. That was a clear loss.

CP3 was an extremely unexpected case. First we gave up too much to get rid of him. Then he unexpectedly stayed healthy for two seasons. I wouldn't bet on it if we could do it over again.

The fact is, when you get a huge overpaid player with questionable work ethic, you are in for a big gamble. He might get better or he might get worse. Why do we want that gamble when we are already investing in a bunch of promising young guys? I'd rather someone else pay us to make that gamble.

fattz likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Couldn't have said it better

rockets1995 and fattz like this.
  10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

If Simmons could make 3s, he wouldn't be available to trade. The organization that drafted him has known since they drafted him that he cannot shoot and shoots with the wrong hand. The mistake they made was giving him a max contract and not trading him earlier when they knew he didn't improve or put in the effort.

fattz likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are making a huge assumption that Simmons is okay with that arrangement. Maybe he is. But they'd better talk to him first before they give up a farm to get him.

luckyman76, Deckard and fattz like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

@ch44 hopefully you are lurking somewhere out there. Should we believe the Vegas odds on Simmons to Houston? Curious if you've actually heard anything that makes you believe it may happen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Morey hasn't made a competent trade in years.

14. fattz

fattz Member

Every franchise needs hope and we now have it with our youth. Simmons would fill the need of hope if there was nothing else to choose from.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Odd, it is usually the fans that want to compete now while owners usually understand delayed gratification during a rebuild will lead to more money.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we have several players better than him that need playing time.... benn is a proven loser he needs to settle in sacramento and refurbish his career....the only reason for obtaining Benn I see is in making a favor to Klutch sports because they seem to run NBA

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is perhaps how your mind works...:)hope to me is a natural state... that is interfered with with the presence of hopeless players....:D...

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lolololol good luck with that because he doesn't honor the contract i can only imagine how much he holds to his word...

Easy likes this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets make this trade, I would see Simmons as part of that hope. The Rockets could trade away a first round pick over the next 4 years while keeping their own firsts for the next two years. Those two picks will likely be the most valuable, anyway. After that, the Rockets should be playing well enough that their draft picks will not have as big an impact on shaping the team.

I think the other thing to consider is that if we were to keep our own FRPs over the next two years and trade four additional firsts, even with his flaws, there will not be a player drafted with any of those picks who is as good as SImmons. Cash them in for an established player (and not just any player, but the best defensive player in the league). While I have not been the biggest fan of Simmons, I do believe that he would be a better fit here than he is in Philly. I think he's young and talented enough that he's worth taking a chance on, and we should be able to do it without mortgaging our two most valuable picks for the foreseeable future.

fattz likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

So drafting 7 years by the 76ers in the so called "Process" has lead to more money?
    All of those empty arenas year after year? How many championships as a result?

Sacramento has drafted top 5 almost every year has earned more money by losing?
    How many championships have they won thru their perpetual losing? Should be 10
    by your logic