1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any news on Verlander?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Jul 21, 2021.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If only there was a way you could get closer to the game...

Here's why he's sentimental. The wifey went to NY and he's home alone.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Apparently there are covid rules that prevent a rehabbing player from being with the team during games or traveling with them.

don’t quote me on that, but it does make some sense.

vince, msn, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I read it on The Internet so it be true … or perhaps I’m just confused after eating a whole tube of yummy Apple horse dewormer.

desihooper and awc713 like this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Bregman was in the dugout before his rehab assignments. At least for home games.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn’t he literally working out with the team those days?

Certainly a difference between a guy on the cusp of coming back vs a guy already declared out for the year.

lnchan likes this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He is an Astros jersey. He literally still loves us.

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If the Astros don't care about his presence with the team why should I?

He's recovering from major surgery and his rehab is critical to having a career going forward. Let him rehab how and where he wants.

8. Poloshirtbandit

This is the explanation his brother gave on Twitter.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Bregman being in the minors means he is already following league COVID protocols. Verlander is outside the semi permeable bubble.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not news, but some heavy opinions about whether the Astros give him a q-offer, whether he takes it and whether he ends up elsewhere.

Cody claims no long deal has EVER worked out. All trash. Is he right? How many have and to whom?

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If he has an audition this offseason and throws hard he will get a multi-year deal that far exceeds the QO. But if Verlander doesn’t think he’ll be healthy by opening day then he would probably accept the QO. So the risk is that the Astros repeat this season where they have Verlander making a boatload of money and not pitching. If I were Click I would try to get an extensive medical evaluation prior to the end of the season to inform the decision. For now as a prediction I would probably say he will not be offered a QO.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Worked out for Scherzer… and on some level people think it worked out for CC Sabathia.

If Crane had no problem giving him the 2 year extension in 2019, He shouldn’t feel that reluctant for an incentive-loaded 2-3 year deal with the expectation that they should limit some of his appearances/innings. I thought 2019 was risky to have him pitch as much as he did and he certainly did wear down in the post-season.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agree, but I do think we have to offer the qualifying and leave the ball in his court. Then, if he rejects it… we can work on something like you’re talking about. We need to get compensated if he leaves.

QO: Correa, Verlander, Greinke? (I don’t know if he’s ever been offered it).

ryan_98 likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"Kate's juggies are fun great for my rehab! I can grip them like my slider and get lots of movement! The $28 million keeps me focus on my "rehab!". - Justin Verlander.

16. the shark

the shark Member

I'm not too concerned about his velocity. It may be down a little coming off TJ. My bigger concern is (and I've asked this before) how dependent is he on the sticky stuff? If he has been it can certainly affect his control. I'm sure Strom knows the answers to this question.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Scherzer is the easy answer.
    Kershaw is another despite some injuries
    Greinke's deal ended up fine
    Verlander

Since he mentioned 10 year deals, he must be including position players:
    ARod's first deal ended up being good enough for him to get another
    Joey Votto's has mostly worked out (though he still has 2 years left)
    Derek Jeter
    Buster Posey
    Manny Ramirez
    Todd Helton
    Freddie Freeman

There are a handful of other ones that were decent values. Many are still way too early to tell. Some have been dumpster fires. Many won't be worth their salaries in their final years, but give you so much positive value early that it is worth it.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

QO? Yes. Multi-Year Deal? Probably not. Possibly an incentive laden series of vesting options. Player option vests with 150 innings and an additional year with the same vesting option. Additional incentives for top three CY. If he's a Nolan Ryan, we'd make out like bandits. If not, he doesn't make the vesting options.

vince likes this.
  19. vince

vince Member

I'm a fan of Verlander, and he may prove to be as good his next two seasons as he's been when he's been a top of his game.

But the Astros are built around a nucleus that's a bit different. The Astros aren't seen as the favorites to win the World Series, but they have a very real possibility of winning it, even without having one pitch the entire season from Verlander.

Charlie Morton, Springer, Mawin, Keutchel, Cole, etc. have all left because the Astros are being extremely disciplined about how much money and years they hand out in their next contracts.

I figure the only way Verlander is on the Astros next season, is if he accepts a market value deal, but for only 2 seasons. However, how certain is it that Verlander would want to even stay in Houston?

20. Nook

Nook Member

From what I was told, the Astros intend to give him the QO unless something physically changes before now and the deadline.