1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Stone seems like a numbers guy. He’ll make the numbers fit. However, I don’t see him making a bad trade for Simmons. Simmons just doesn’t fit.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nah. One (middling) FRP.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Trade deadline when a point guard gets hurt, you can totally make those picks back up and maybe more.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Regarding the post you quoted and the post I am quoting taken together. Yes explore everything. But someone else it would fit better with Simmons on their team than the Rockets. While definitely should be willing to give more up to get him. Then throwing on things like who could you sign with cap space in two seasons instead of having Simmons on the team? Losing the reps that the Rockets draft picks would get this season that would go to a high usage player like that. While also decreasing chances of getting a potential all star big in the draft to pair with Green.

I personally think it is the wrong move at the wrong time in so many ways.

dmoneybangbang and Plowman like this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I can't agree with this. Would you have said Dwight in his prime was not a "very good player?" He couldn't shoot or hit FTs either. Nor could Shaq. He has a huge deficiency, but he's so good at other things that he definitely still fits in the "very good" category.

I wouldn't give up any more than 1 pick for him though.

The question is, with Simmons, do you try to compete right away.
    Simmons, Green, KPJ, and Wood makes a very talented lineup -- even if Green and KPJ are still green. I could see them developing very quickly together.

6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Dwight and Shaq didn't dribble the ball up the court.

If simmons played a center role, he wouldnt sniff the type of production prime Dwight and Shaq had.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In fairness, Dwight Howard was an absolute terror in the paint on the offensive end. Regardless of how he did it (either with dunks or put backs), Howard was able to give you 20 a night to go along with his elite defense/rebounding. Ben Simmons, more or less, stumbles into his 16 ppg.

luckyman76 likes this.
  8. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I would Trade John Wall and attach a future pick to get rid of his contract...however Simmons can go to a third team who can give up any additional future first.

Houston In: Filler/Cap Relief/Young Player
    Houston Out : Wall, one of future pick (Top 5 protected) OR BRK pick/swap?

Philly In: Wall, HOU pick (Top 5 protected) OR BRK pick/swap, 3rd Team Future picks (2 or 3)
    Philly Out: Simmons

3rd Team In: Simmons
    3rd Team Out: Filler/Young Player, Future first (2 or 3)

Following teams seem to be interested in Simmons: Sacramento, Cleveland, San Antonio and Minnesota. Zion needs a capable PG and both are Klutch clients. Maybe New Orleans? They have a bunch of picks as well.

Amel likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 cant shoot... not only 3s he cant hit not even midrange

2 for several years couldnt get past 2nd round of playoffs past the weaker competition in the leastern conference, surrounded with allstars shooters and mvp caliber players

3 a headcase and diva

4 has a problematic and troublesome agency representing him to put it mildly

5 paid far far more then being able to produce

why get him?

the only reason i see is to make a favor to Klutch sports to appease them in order to get favorable treatment with other players they represent

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Prime Dwight thrived in a time where the center position was still very much valued. And if his defensive numbers and impact were put up against other DPoY winners, he'd easily win the award over Gobert / Green / Leonard / Giannis. And most importantly, he'd never pass up the chance to dunk the ball or score inside the paint.

Simmons' biggest strength unfortunately dilutes his other strength. Being a good playmaker means you feed the ball to others. Unfortunately, he can't feed the ball to himself. He's so strong that he can bully most defenders shorter than him, and he's quicker than most defenders that are bigger than him.

hakeem94 and Chamillionaire like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

@jopatmc since you're back what are your thoughts on this hypothetical trade?

Nook, hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I would hope Stone considers all deals, but trading to be the team that KEEPS Simmons would be a huge mistake.

Morey isn't going to do Wall + picks for Simmons..... that would be a major embarrassment for the Sixers organization. The Sixers are in win now mode on a shaky Embiid timetable.

13. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

No to Simmons. Kills our flexibility moving forward. How about we play chicken with Wall and negotiate a good super discounted buyout deal to grant him his freedom, or maybe keep him until he's an expiring next year when we can get positive value for him. This year can just be a development year for all the young guys and we tank again and pick high again. Then we're in a great spot with a ton of young talent on the cheap and a huge expiring deal to trade!

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Soon we will find out which camp Fertitta is in.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe I am too dumb. I don't get the "we can flip Simmons for [something good] later" take. If we can flip him, why aren't they just find a third or even a fourth team in this trade. That way you are actually sure that we get good return from sending Simmons to some other team rather than risk being stuck with him.

16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I worry more about bens mentality than talent. If he had Giannis mentality he would not be traded

GotGame15, hakeem94 and ArtV like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock and Nook like this.
  18. Salvy

Salvy Member

In Bishop's Bullwinkles words,

Hell To Da Naw,Naw,Naw

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I would trade Wall for Simmons yes.

D-rock likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, maybe we could trade Porter + Wood for Simmons and have both Wall and Simmons! $80M PG KINGDOM

... wait until the n00bs on here who want Simmons now realize he's going to take some playing time from one of Porter/Green and they will start gnashing the teeth.

don grahamleone likes this.