1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Daryl Morey wants John Wall, Kevin Porter Jr, 3 - 1st Round Picks for Ben Simmons

Rafael Stone - hangs up the phone

mikol13 likes this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

John Wall, Eric Gordon, Danuel House Jr are really needed on the 76ers

Daryl Morey needs to live in reality, this ain't 2K or Fantasy Basketball

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

luckyman76 and alethios like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Would you rather have:

- Max cap space 2 years from now
    - all of your current unprotected picks
    - another projected top 5/6 pick next year

or

Simmons

NO to Simmons.

Yung-T, FLASH21, Roc Paint and 11 others like this.
  5. abaker28

abaker28 Member

So not too dissimilar to the last few years of Rockets basketball heh? O from 27....:(

But yes, get your point.
    Simmons could be our Draymond Green??

I'd take Simmons for Wall and 1 1st. But I'd like to work in Thybulle into the trade as well.

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The obsession with Simmons continues to baffle me. He is not good. 3-4 FRP's? gtfo

7. dmoneybangbang

Nope....

I am not that desperate to be relevant.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is in a worse situation with Simmons than Stone is with Wall.

Neither are playing till a trade happens, but for the Rockets that's a good thing, for the 76ers it's not.

I don't really like Simmons, but I'd do a deal giving up Wall and 2 future firsts for Simmons and filler.

My preference would be to just not do a deal with the 76ers at all though.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The whole hypothetical is moot because Morey will ask more than what the Rockets are willing to give.

But if we were to play the mental exercise ...

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: Don't like him as a player that you have to build your team around. Don't want to tie up cap/playing time into him. Would only want him to flip to another team later. Right now Simmons is completely butt hurt because Morey wants to flip him to another team so I don't think that situation repeated in Houston would work out.

heypartner and Rashmon like this.
  10. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

It is very easy to argue Ben Simmons is a top 25 player in the modern NBA. The problem is, he is likely slotted 20-25 and the drop off between him and the top 10 players like Lebron, Durant, Steph, etc is MASSIVE. Those are the guys you include 4 FRPs for, NOT BS!

I am gonna get hate but JWall/Gordon/1FRP unprotected and 2 SRPs. If I am gonna give up FRPs for Simmons they have to be RIDICIULOUSLY protected like 3FRPs (top 10 protected through 2025). Once "we are back" I have no issue trading FRPs around 22 to 27 away.

D-rock likes this.
  11. ilias

ilias Member

It seems like an unnecessary risk. Unless we believe that we can flip Simmons on demand with zero/low downside or that he will somehow become worthy of his contract, getting Simmons could damage our long-term plans by clogging cap space post 2023.

We are at a unique spot where all our bad contracts expire in 2023 (Theis hopefully won’t change that) and we can have significant contributors at rookie contracts (Green, 2022 rookie, Sengun). From a salary cap point of view that gives us an amazing window in the 2023/4 and 2024/5 seasons where potentially - if we make the right decisions (or get lucky) - we can have 6 top-end starters to all-star level players (KPJ / Wood extended, Green, 2022 top-5 rookie, all-star via Wall + Nets picks trade, $20-25m 2023 Free Agent) surrounded by a bunch of good to great role players (Sengun, Christopher, Tate).

Simmons as that all-star player we can get in a Wall trade brings two issues:
    a) Timing: getting him now means we likely move from a top-5 to a late lottery 2022 pick
    b) Impact as player in our team: although Simmons is now underrated, there are big limitations to his game that we cannot ignore. He is a high-risk / high-reward target. I’d be more interested in someone like Ingram, Collins, Grant, Sabonis, JJJ, Siakam.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It's so funny to compare the forums.

Here: "I wouldn't trade Wall for Simmons straight-up!"

Sixers' Forum: "I wouldn't trade Simmons for Wall even if the Rockets threw in 5 RFPs!"

FLASH21 and D-rock like this.
  13. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

**** no lol. I’d rather have wall rotting on the bench than overpay for a guy you can’t even play in the clutch

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'd rather have the high pick next year. We can just wait until the deadline to unload wall and if we get simmons, we can just tank with him on the bench or in the g league working on his postion change. Move him to the 4 or 5. and then play him next year after we get our high draft pick.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its an interesting thought exercise.

I probably wouldn't this year, but if we bottom out and get one of the premiere bigs in the next draft, I might consider it, next year.

Suppose you get Chet this offseason and KPJ/Green pan out together as the guard combo, while Tate continues to get better.

You could offer Wall, Wood, Gordon, 2 x mediocre picks for Harris / Simmons, and rebrand Simmons as a defensive big.

KPJ / Christopher
    Green / Brooks
    Harris / Tate / KMJ / Nwaba
    Simmons / Sengun / Garuba
    Chet / Theis

16. dmoneybangbang

The forum is split into two camps.....

One camp is desperate to be relevant again and one camp is desperate to rebuild.

BelgianRocketsFan, cmoak1982 and ArtV like this.
  17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ THIS!

The ONLY way the Rockets should be involved in a Simmons trade is if they don't end up with Simmons. His contract is too much for too long for what you're getting. And worse, you're getting a mentally fragile player to boot.

If you get the Cavs involved and we end up with Love and filler (either useful or expires in 2 years or less), then maybe we can talk. Love's days are over but so are Wall's days (at least with us) and their contracts expire at the same time. Though even in that scenario, I'm not giving up any FRPs.

We're rebuilding and we've got a nice foundation for this short of time. Let's not jack it up.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Any GM that would make a trade of that nature should have their head checked.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Who actually voted yes?

if the trade isn't Wall for Simmons straight up, then we hang up the phone.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all about the rebuild, but along the way rare opportunities will present themselves....to get a serious piece that's young enough....We can disagree as to what/who fits in best with what we're doing, and how much we give up, but nevertheless..this is one of those times. It just happens to be very early on in the process. And, of course Ben's on and off court rep have taken a beating....or the chance to get him would not be there. Admittedly , it's a big bet early on...whether you like Simmons or not. Perhaps an unnecessary risk, but still something that should be explored IMO.

FLASH21 and D-rock like this.