1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I gather that. I guess I’m asking assuming there is storage capacity for those panels, would they even generate enough power for storing then charging EVs, like on the daily.

Independent of the need for storage batteries, can current panels that big match average daily consumption of EVs for nightly charging.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx!

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've been learning a lot about off grid solar systems lately for this piece of land I bought. I got a small solar system setup in my backyard to play around with and made a little portable solar "generator". It's just a battery hooked up to an all in one inverter/solar charge controller and I wired in a power strip to pull stuff into.

Anyhow, this guy Will Prowse is one of the people that has been off grid for a decade and he charges his Tesla from only solar panels. He also has an extremely large battery backup system. Some of it he built and some of it he purchased. By built I mean he purchased smaller cells and attached them together with bus bars to form a larger battery.

This is a quick rundown of his system

The system where the car caught on fire was simply a grid tie system and not large enough to power a home and EVs. IMO grid tie systems aren't worth it based on the extremely high installation costs. Off grid systems in Texas I don't believe are allow unless they are for rural purposes as well. The Tesla powerwall is simply overpriced. You can buy a comparable size battery system for a few thousand less and installation simply isn't that difficult.

https://www.electriccarpartscompany...4-lithium-battery-solar-energy-storage-system

That battery has good reviews and it's $5100 before taxes and would qualify for the 26% federal tax credit if you charge it exclusively from solar power. I believe the powerwall 2 is up to $7500 now and their installation costs are obscene. Pushes the all in cost to nearly $12k.

jo mama, Deckard and heypartner like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Taycan backseats are pretty small but you don't care about that.....man it's a nice car.
    And Porsche build quality is hands down better than Tesla.

Ultimately it comes down to purpose of the car. Commuting with 1 other person..awesome.
    Useful for a family? Doubt it.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, I know it sounds stupid but for the first time ever I walked away feeling i needed said car (I don’t actually need* a car atm)

I’m gonna wait as others said. This shortage may carry on for another 2-3 years though. At that time I’m gonna make the jump for the taycan (and if I’m not sold on it, pending other really nice EVs, the 911–since such beautiful piece of engineering ).

Deckard, Sajan and B-Bob like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not completely specifically EV related, but I was getting ready to sell my Tesla and the main screen won't start up and it takes forever to power on. Had this same exact problem in January and I've hardly driven it since. Anyhow I thought I had an appointment scheduled for Sept 25 but they just moved it to October 15 before I can get it.

Tesla service is a ****ing joke.

Oh and there is no number to call because all their service is managed thru an app now. It's ridiculous.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Sounds like a 12v battery issue? If so, you could just call roadside and they should service your car faster OR just bring it into the service center and indicate you believe you have a 12v battery issue and they will service you much sooner.

robbie380 likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The service center up in north Austin is apparently booked out until November and the one in south Austin won't be open until mid-October.

When I had this problem before it was not a 12v battery issue. I'll try both of those options though and see what happens.

edit just tried lol

[​IMG]

#368 robbie380, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chevy Bolt battery recall one of Chevy's most expensive recalls ever

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-to-...lled-chevy-bolts-11632162904?mod=hp_lead_pos4

General Motors Co. GM -3.82% said it would start next month to fix Chevrolet Bolt electric cars that were recalled for fire risk, although many owners likely will have to wait months to receive the remedy.

GM said Monday that it would start shipping new battery cells to dealerships as early as mid-October to begin replacing potentially faulty battery modules. GM and supplier LG Energy Solution have identified and fixed a manufacturing defect, and LG recently resumed production of cells at a factory in Michigan.

In late August, GM expanded a previous recall on the Chevy Bolt, after receiving additional reports of battery fires and concluding an earlier fix wasn’t adequate. The recall now covers roughly 142,000 vehicles produced since the electric car went on sale in late 2016.

GM’s recall of the Chevy Bolt—its only electric model sold in the U.S.—has in recent months overshadowed the company’s commitment to battery-powered vehicles and to closing the gap on leader Tesla Inc. In the coming years, GM plans to introduce a few dozen electric models, including a GMC pickup truck later this year and a new Cadillac SUV by next summer.

The Detroit auto maker has estimated the recall campaign will cost about $1.8 billion, making it one of the company’s costliest safety actions in history. GM said Monday it was aware of 13 fires linked to what it has described as a defect in some battery cells.
    more at the link

10. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Great! I have a 12V battery and TPMS system I need fixed. I just booked 10/30/21 in Austin. I wish I had checked 30 days ago when the alert first came lol - or just taken care of it while I was in Houston last week. UGH

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Did you call the direct phone number? If you need it, it's 877 798 3752. Buddy of mine was at home and his car wouldn't come up at all. He called the number and they came out and determined it was 12v issue and replaced it same day. App will probably take longer IF at all.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It depends on what he's caring about. The Taycan will always drive better than the Model S Plaid. The Tesla is the more practical car with the software updates, but when you buy a luxury car you are not always thinking about practical.

13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I just bought the new Tucson limited hybrid I love it so far.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've kinda started thinking about it. I'm over any concerns about charging. It doesn't seem like that's going to be any kind of problem. I suppose my hang-up now is on repairs. I like going to the little mom-and-pop shop down the street when my car has an issue, but I know the mechanic there won't touch an EV. If owning an EV means I have to go to the dealership to get it fixed, I don't think I want to do it. I hate dealerships.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I'm starting to see those on the road and they look super nice, better than in pictures.

Did you have to pay over msrp for it? My wife and I will buy a car soon, but will probably wait a bit to see if car prices drop next year when chips shortage is a bit better.

How is the highway driving assist? I'm comparing the trim levels and I don't really see many features that matters to me above the 'Blue' trim except for the power liftgate and highway driving assist. Not sure if going to Limited would be worth the money.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I thought about this one as well which is why I settled on a plug in hybrid (Chevy Volt). Local shops have had no issue fixing small things and doing regular maintenance. At the end of the day, the Volt is a modified Chevy Cruze so there is tons of overlap. In my experience, local dealers had no issue ordering standard GM parts (that were common to the Cruze, Malibu, etc..) Whereas some electric cars have unique designs that make it impossible for a local dealer. And in my case, the Volt has a 50-55 mile range so I barely ever run on gas. So repair bills for regular maintenance have been fine while simultaneously getting the benefits of an electric car.

Now if I ever have an issue with the battery or the electric motor then yes I'd have go to a dealership but other than that, everything else can be done at a local shop.

#376 geeimsobored, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I like the added safety features including the spot blind monitoring camera is fantastic. Highway driving assists works well. The gage cluster screen is great. Also the 360 parking cameras is great especially with a crowded garage. The remote start and go is a little too much a gimmick as I doubt I will use it much. All in all the limited trim was the better deal for me. As I like all of the added features, Probably the 360 camera display and the blind spot camera when you use the signals are almost worth the trim for me. I suggest you try both trim levels and then make the decision .

jchu14 likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Is it the PHEV? I know it's a big contender in that PHEV small SUV category with how difficult it was to source a RAV4 PHEV. Sucks that these efficient cars go to CARB states only.

19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I didn’t get the plug in. Just the hybrid.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Does a petrol/coal hybrid count?

B-Bob likes this.