1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Appreciate the discussion. Not gonna lie, every time this thread bumps, I think a deal has happened. I keep getting baited.... but can't help by still clicking.

2. alethios

alethios Member

But not roster-wise; someone else (or multiple someones) is going too. Would we buyout Maxey or trade him?

Corrosion and sirjesse like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly and there is precedent in James Harden....

DD

4. dmoneybangbang

Although unlikely, John Wall can exchange his player option for security (3/4 year with team option as an example) without having to play half a season. I think the only scenario where Wall is traded this season and we aren't giving up picks is if declines his player option to sign an extension. Doing so would give John Wall security but allow a team like the Clippers to create more cap space next season, when Wall is making ~$20mil instead of ~$45 mil.

Otherwise, John Wall won't garner any interest until next offseason when he is a massive expiring contract.

Williamson and Corrosion like this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

WTF? The reality is that Wall is an asset. As an o court hooper. Until his contract deets gets entered into actual value. And that value does not bring Ben Simmons.

Wall and Wood? BS & Harris? If DM the (Philly) GM really wants TH gone, then maybe, just maybe, a framework to move forward exists.

It’ll take a substantial report for me to believe that there is any possibility of a Simmons deal unless Rox are a 3rd or 4th team enabling Simmons to land in Minnie or Mickey or Moe.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nah, that’s not a precedent. That’s a one-off that does not include JW.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No way in hell we buyout Maxey. He's a good player.

Streakshooter and Plowman like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i don't think Wall is an on court asset. Certainly not much anymore.

It's hard to parse him vs. the team he was on last year, but nothing about him statistically from last year has him as an effective player for a legit, serious, championship contending team. It was all just super high usage, relatively inefficient stuff. He had a 99 ORtg and a 116 Drtg. He had his worst ts% since his second year. He had his lowest assists/100 of his career, despite his turnovers being basically where they are every year. Below average 3 point shooter, etc.

Sure, he could do a lot better on a team where he is legit option 2-4, accepts that, etc. Maybe. Who knows.

That's before factoring in his contract.

Now... OTHER teams might view him differently. I hope so. If Philly is really willing to consider a Simmons deal with Wall as a key asset (they're not, that's ridiculous), then ABSOLUTELY you do that. You can move him to the Kings for **** salary filler and picks and come out great. If the Clippers would take him without requiring a pick, go for it, etc.

But the fact that someone somewhere proposed Wall for Simmons AND Maxey is beyond insane lol

lakersuck2, Easy, xiki and 1 other person like this.
  9. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

The 76ers would never do that.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, Harden showed he can force the org's hand by going public, that is precedent.

DD

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

except for being a non-asset on court, Shirley we agree.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

it may have set a precedent for Harden’s case, but that is not Wall’s case.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes they would. In a bizarro world.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden brought seven 1st round picks. Simmons may bring 3.

16. amaru

amaru Member

It’s not the ideal route but it has proven effective in getting players off of teams they don’t like.

17. amaru

amaru Member

The precedent extends much further than James Harden.

xiki likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Name a time that the league has forced a team to play someone on their roster that they don't want to play?

They are anti-tanking, so a team just needs to make it look like they aren't tanking. Which, surely the Rockets have done here with this discussion?

NewAge likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm glad the guy you are arguing about this topic with has me on ignore .... Someone who has to continuously call others idiots and morons isn't worth my time ....

On the topic at hand , "Wood" .... I'm not against trading him but I don't think trading him for picks is the right thing to do for where the franchise is currently.

Yes , they should be in asset collection mode and they have been , to the tune of 4 rookies on the current roster and several more with 1-2 years of service.

We expect them to be bad again this year .... Vegas over under at 25.5 wins ? They own their own pick and assuming they are what the odds makers think they are (2nd worst) should pick between 1st & 6th in the coming draft and you assume that they'd use that pick on a top prospect.

That's gonna leave you with an awful young team ...

How many more draft picks can you add to that young group ? You have three picks in the following draft as it is ....

I'm not against trading Wood for the right deal , but more picks , likely mid to late picks just isn't the answer unless you have struck out in this past draft .... (Green and Sengun aren't the foundation pieces we think they are now)

A lot of the future strategy depends upon how KPJ & Green (and next years draft pick) progress .... If they turn out to be stars , Wood is the perfect compliment as a multi dimensional big man that the entire league is looking for.

If they are duds .... then yes , you trade Wood for all you can get and take another swing or two in the lottery. Its pointless to have him eating up cap space in that scenario.
    But if they are star quality .... you are going to struggle to find a better big than Wood to compliment them. Think about it , of the current crop of big men , who would you rather have in place of Wood .... and how realistic is that acquisition ?

The good thing here is the timing of it all , you'll have a good idea of where KPJ & Green are by the trade deadline of next year (22-23) .... and should an extension be in order for Wood , it coincides with the expiration of Wall & EG leaving you with Wood's bird rights and $60m in cap space to add talent to an up and coming roster.

Worst case scenario , you ship him out at the 22-23 trade deadline ....

luckyman76 and Easy like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am trying to think back where a situation like this occurred. It is very likely he sits the whole year due to no one wanting his contract. Outside of watson and his legal issues I dont remember any season-long healthy scratches. Maybe the league will be fine with it.