1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can understand when it comes to Texas politics but when you're looking down on us because of sports and you're from Minnesota or Colorado? Like, my guy, Minnesota hasn't won jack **** in all professional sports since 1991. Colorado? You guys lucked out with getting Peyton Manning, otherwise, you'd only have one Stanley cup in the past 20 years to gloat about.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His logic for keeping Odorizzi (use in a lopsided game) applies to Javier and Bielak as well. Based on recency bias, Bielak should be the choice. 9.1 solid innings since coming back on 08/31.

#1202 bobrek, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The Athletic reports that Sale had COVID twice but still refuses to get vaccinated. A shame if Red Sox has to forfeit games once the playoffs start.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

:):):):):):)

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

:mad:1:mad:9:mad:8:mad:4:mad:

6. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

**** 'em.

RayRay10, Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The recent moves to turn Texas into a theocracy on par with Gilead in A Handmaid's Tail have taken their toll.

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the guys was saying we shouldn't even have a team.

Both CO and MN are pretty nice and having lived in Minneapolis now for quite awhile I've gone native on many things. But I'm not giving up on the Stros, Texans or Rockets (even though the it feels like the Rockets have given up..)

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Remaining goals for the regular season

1. Clinch the division in Oakland. Celebrate on their field and get those dugout shots of their pouty faces while we party

2. Maintain homefield advantage over the White Sox

3. Win the series against Tampa so they know what's coming in the ALCS

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really think Marwin needs to be on the playoff roster as the 13th position player. To me he just offers so much more as a playoff bench player than Garrett Stubbs, Taylor Jones, or a 6th outfielder. This would be my playoff roster:

C: Maldonado, Castro
    IF: Gurriel, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Diaz, Marwin
    OF: Tucker, Brantley, Alvarez, Meyers, Siri
    SP: McCullers, Valdez, L Garcia, Greinke
    RP: Urquidy, Pressly, Graveman, Stanek, Baez, Raley, Y Garcia, Maton, Odorizzi
    Next in line (pitchers): James, Javier, Taylor, Bielak, Solomon
    Next in line (position players): McCormick, Stubbs, Jones, Pena, Papierski

#1212 Snake Diggit, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    IowaAstro and BlindHog like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Minnesota is a cold shithole.
    Colorado has some nice scenery but way too expensive. And not much to do in several months.

RunninRaven and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Dusty will be more likely to use PHs if there is a third catcher on the team. With Lee headed to AFL, he won't be the third catcher. I would not be surprised if Papierski has passed Stubbs on the catcher ladder, but is being held up by 40-man roster spots.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Id be very surprised if Chas is left off the roster

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would too, because I’m not the GM lol

MrBear1 likes this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

In 2019 the Astros carried 11 pitchers in the ALDS and that was a 25 man roster. With the off days you don't really need 13 arms. I would want the 3rd catcher because that is the number 1 spot in the lineup where you would want to use a pinch hitter. I would remove Baez and insert Stubbs. I would also consider removing Odorizzi and adding McCormick.

RayRay10 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

There will be some very tough decisions for the post-season roster, mainly because everybody seems to be acing their auditions. I don't think anybody expected Siri to light the world on fire, but he has probably leapfrogged Meyers at this point. Marwin has played well. Then on the pitching side, Bielak has been consistent over his last few outings, James too. Then Solomon came in an pitched quality extended innings. In the playoffs when tandem/long relief will be prioritized, I can see the argument to take guys like Bielak, Javier, or Solomon over Baez, Yimi or Maton. My dark horse though is Josh James. He has playoff experience and so far his control is much improved. He'd be a sick weapon in relief if he can throw strikes.

The home stretch is going to be interesting watching these guys try to play their way onto the playoff roster. Click has his work cut out for him #EliteFranchiseProblems

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think this years team is different than 2019 in that the SP on this roster can’t be counted on to get deep into the game. Because of that they need at least 12 pitchers and I think a 13th pitcher carries more value than a 14th position player.

I am comfortable with Marwin as the 3rd/emergency catcher, but I understand it’s a risk, so if one of the pitchers (Odorizzi, Maton, or Baez) was swapped for Stubbs it makes sense to me.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I don't expect Baez back until spring training on the big league team... even if each starter can only go 4... you don't need 13 pitchers on the roster for the ALDS.

Everyone is mentioning how you will PH for a catcher... but pinch running is more likely with the catchers + Alvarez, Bregman, and Brantley frequently subbed out... and you need folks that can play those positions to boot. If Bregman's legs are still being protected, Marwin is a lock. Stubbs reduces the need to burn two spots if a pinch runner is needed for Castro/Maldy. Chas and Siri can take Yordan or Brantley.

Wulaw Horn likes this.