1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ted Lasso Best show on TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Juxtaposed Jolt and bobrek like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

It gets much better as the season progresses. I was really let down by the opener in particular, really feared it might not recapture the magic, but it truly does. The latest episode is typical of Bull Lawrence, like on Scrubs where others get the spotlight and it’s a full episode of Coach Beard. So awesome! Really taking chances and getting more dramatic and outrageous. I do feel this show will not and was never meant to last long. I could see it end after 3 seasons. I hope they just keep the train rolling, peeling back the layers of established characters and are not afraid to introduce new ones.

If it does go to a 4-6 season show, I really hope for some part to be in the US and or the team to participate in a tournament forcing them to play around Europe. Road trips could make for some great culture clashes, interactions w/ crazy fans, just people who recognize them etc. Also road trips could put strains on relationships abd make room for more story lines to be explored, developed and to deepen current ones.

At some point you’d have to also explore some good players leaving, following them a bit on their new teams, as well as assistants retiring or being asked to become a head coach elsewhere. That could also lead to more stories and relationships to be explored. However, I just don’t think that will happen, but what definitely will happen: this show to go down as best English American comedy cross over series, one of the best drama comedy series of all time and best one w/ such a short life span (if it does end within 3/4 seasons). Along with After Life though that’s more in the comedic drama category.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I got bored with this Coach Beard-centric episode about 5 minutes in.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, that was a filler episode, Apple originally ordered 10, and then they asked the cast to do 2 more - the XMas episode was one, and this was the other.

The XMas one was great, this one was probably the worst and didn't fit at all.

DD

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I actually like this episode.

7. JW86

JW86 Member

It was great! I know people sometimes cannot handle an episode to just feel different, but even if you didn’t like it, you gotta respect what they did with it from a technical standpoint, the references etc. Especially knowing Apple ordered episodes after they had decided what the story was going to be.

As far as season 4 goes, that leak or whatever is probably really fake since it’s only meant to run 3 seasons and I doubt Jason has decided anything or we would’ve known about it:
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/ted-lasso-co-creator-bill-lawrence-way-season-4-exist.html/

The positive is that if Jason decides to carry on, I’d love it to be in the US where they can dive deeper into Ted Lasso and Coach Beard background. It would be funny if it’s real redneck town too, maybe bring over some of the players acquired from AFC Richmond, have others visit, Skype etc.

I think there is only so much they can do in 3 seasons in just England at the pace they are going. So maybe we can actually follow Ted back in the US while coach Beard first joins Nate as head coach of AFC, maybe Roy follows Ted, there’s lots of possibilities to have it be both in England and US.

I’d personally even follow the show if Jason just appears from time to time w/ coach Nate or Beard as HC and just carry on from there. But we know it’s all up to Jason since there won’t be a Ted Lasso without him. Maybe spin off but I hate that concept.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Apple is throwing money at this show. It is going more than 4 seasons.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

More than 3 but nice try ;)

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Agreed.

We finally got my older sister to start watching and she loves the show, but I am glad the coach Beard episode wasn't one of the first few in the series. :)

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Did not like seeing a filler episode in a 10 episode series.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There were 2, the first one was amazing, the XMas one, this one....was - still processing TBH.

DD

RedRedemption likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, I don't think it was that people couldn't "handle" it...whatever that means.

People just don't like seeing a filler episode centered around a tertiary character unless the season is your typical network television 22 episode (plus or minus) season. In a 10-12 episode season, that's pretty lame.

The Christmas episode, while filler, was really freakin' good since it showcased the entire cast. What they did with Higgins that episode, was what they should have done with Beard. Higgins was essentially part of the B-plot, but even then, we got a glimpse into his life, his family and his house and how everyone interacted with each other.

I'm sure Beard is a great character, but imo, he's great in small doses.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....I just read Apple is talking to EVERYONE involved in the series...and to see how many season it can go. They are also talking to linear rights with Warner Bros., trying to make sure all the rights stay with Apple (WB could put it on TNT, TBS after season 3 for re-runs).

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/13/ted-lasso-contracts-season-four-pay/

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agree. A buddy of mine told me it was absolutely awful and contrarian i am, tried to look on the bright side. While it was definitely cringey at moments, it was a much more high-concept episode than any other. It hasn't been a show with a lot of deeper meaning, but this episode had it in spades. Even still had a semi-happy ending.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Emmy for best comedic series. Ditto for best comedic actor, supporting actor and supporting actress.

Apple really struck gold with this show. Could have been a regular dumb show, given the premise. But maaaan, what a show.

JW86, DaDakota and MadMax like this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

I saw'd season one for free, but not free anymore :(

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

$4.99 a month. If u have Apple One, it is bundled with Apple Music, Apple Arcade, AppleTV+ and ICloud+ (cloud storage 50gb) $14.95 or $19.95 for Family (200 GB storage). $29.95 to Ftiness+, News+ and 2 TB of storage.

19. JW86

JW86 Member

I meant that people are thrown off by an episode that is not in line with the rest, even a slight deviation can cause negativity, and this episode was a totally different animal. Hence, I feel a lot of people’s negative feelings stem from this.

As far as “tertiary character”, if you truly believe that, then that’s already a problem right there. Coach Beard is part of the core, he’s key to Ted Lasso’s character, so if people don’t want to know more about him and his ways then I wonder if they appreciate the relationship between the two, their past and the show as a whole.

I understand your last point for sure, but that’s simply a preference. You can still appreciate what they tried to do and did from a technical standpoint, explored themes, had lots of references and we got the most mysterious character who rarely says more than a word put on an Irish accent and dance like a maniac. Come on, how can one not appreciate that :)

I will say, if this episode is treated as if it never happened in the next or last 3, then that will put a damper on the genius of it. See I’d like it to make sense and even if you hadn’t seen it, we get little nuggets about what transpired that night and whatever happens in his love life will be with that night in mind. Before the episode his relationship was unsure, now she’s said I love you and they met and it’s back to good.

Cannot just inexplicably have the next episodes barely mention it, Beard not showing any sort of emotion and or interaction with Jane (texting whatever) and just act like it suddenly became good next season or whatever. I’d love it if they kept the references vague, Beard acts like the night never happened, reveals a bit and nonchalantly drops the bomb he’s crazy in love again and it’s all great. As if Ted and others were supposed to know.

And then when asked, hinting or outright asking about that night, Beard says: “a gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell” (but yeah we kissed). Then asks people to drop it, since he’s very private and a flash of emotion (smile) is enough. Imagine him smiling and then realising people are watching him, awkwardly shakes it off and does a grumpy old man switch. Then shifts focus to coaching with some funny line / yelling “Richmond”.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you can figure out how to turn on your electronic device. Apple makes it hard on people to do anything

Jayzers_100 likes this.