1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

9-20 Framber Valdez (L) vs. Jaime Barria (R) 8:38

9-22 Jose Urquidy (R) vs. Packy Naughton (L) 8:38

9-22 TBD vs. Janson Junk (R) 0-1, 8:38

9-23 TBD vs. Alex Cobb (R) 8:38 MLBN (out-of-market only)

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wouldn't Garcia start Wednesday and Lance Thursday both on full rest?

Normally TBD's are supposed to be for the teams out of contention... not the ones trying to shore it up for the playoffs. Also, wouldn't mind them trying out Javier as an opener one of these games just to get him semi-stretched out some more.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

So game 1 then off? Then double header?

seems a bit screwy

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Odorizzi is scheduled to be available on Thursday I think, if he's not able to go they may have to change things around.

Best I can figure is they are trying to line up LMJ. The way the schedule plays out you won't lose any starts by pushing him back a day and you could keep his gaps more normal if we are able to lock it up relatively early. They may just be trying to get Garcia some kind of rest.

My guess is the plan is some combination Bielak/Javier Wednesday, Garcia/Odorizzi Thursday, LMJ Friday.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

At the same time, too. Split squad game.

everyday eddie, BigM and Tomstro like this.
  6. mightybosstone

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but looking at the standings this morning, I noticed the Astros have gained some serious ground on the Rays for best record in the AL—only 3.5 back. With the Rays hosting a hot Blue Jays team for three and the Astros getting four games against the Angels, they could themselves in a position to be only 1-2 games back before their 3-game series in Houston next week. Best record in the AL isn't as unrealistic as it seemed a couple of weeks ago.

7. conquistador#11

All the things I hate about baseball all in one series, the double header and the 4 game series. And I forgot about the 7 innings?
    It's just tough. I'll be good with a split.

8. Radricky

Radricky Member

Janson junk?
    Packy naughton?

JeeberD, everyday eddie and Joe Joe like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps, but not sure that is a good thing. I would rather play the CWS who have been playing .500 in September than a red hot wildcard team.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are positives to either scenario.

White Sox have a tremendous lineup and rotation, but are not playoff tested. Same goes for the Blue Jays, who have a lesser rotation after Ray. Meanwhile, would be nice to have home field advantage especially against the Rays.

The Astros have faired well against the Red Sox and Blue Jays this year, albeit they played the road series in Buffalo.

In the end, the Rays represent the biggest competition to the Astros going to the WS. Would favor any scenario where they have a better shot of beating them.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If TB plays the 4th seed (wildcard winner), and they lose, we wont have to face them at all.

TB is 8-10 in September. Maybe a first round exit to a hot wildcard winner isn't so improbable.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And then the Astros have to play an even hotter wild card team that just knocked out the best team in the league, presuming they can hit enough against Rodon-Cease-Lynn-Giolito.... and Kimbrel-Hendricks on the back end?

See how it can be skewed any which way?

The best thing the Astros can do is get healthy (and stay healthy) and everything should fall into place. The Rays are the only core that has had success against this Astros team amongst all playoff teams (including the 5 game division series in 2019). Not really considering the Red Sox to be the same core from 2018.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There is no double header. It's just a typo. Did you notice that both games are at the same time?

BigM likes this.
  14. Radricky

Radricky Member

Any news on tucker?

15. ktex

ktex Member

In terms of?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree.

My feeling is I want to avoid whoever is the hotter team. Right now, I would argue that the Jays and even the Red Sox are hotter than the CWS. And therefore if the playoffs were today, I would rather have the #2 seed than the #1 seed.

Obviously, that could all change in the course of finishing the season.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not loving the idea of facing Rodon 2 times in a 5 game series. Seems like a perfect Kevin Brown scenario. I'd rather play Boston with Sale only available for 1 game in the series after pitching the wild card game. Also, one of Boston's best reliever, Whitlock, injured his peck yesterday.

jim1961 likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It could change tomorrow. and the teams that are cold to end the season could flip a switch.

There is no correlation with September records and playoff performances. For every 2004 36-10 Astros, there are the 2017 Cleveland Indians (went 25-4 in September, lost first round matchup) or 2018/2019 LA Dodgers.

Health makes a difference. If one of those teams has a player that's still struggling to find their form or trying to play through an injury, that's the one I want... otherwise, its all a wash.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He got taken out due to "shoulder issue" yesterday.... or he got taken out for being a dumbass on the base paths... but if he hadn't gotten taken out, who knows if he does the same thing that Siri did.

20. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Dumbass on the bases when he intentionally got out to ensure that Yuli's run counted? Seemed smart to me