1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. Buck Turgidson

You hate to see it.

3. Buck Turgidson

He has more talent than 90% of pitchers in AA/AAA

Don't disagree with your Foreign League plan.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

How is this possible? Dude made Maldy look like an all-star hitter last year....

Dustin Garneau

46 ABs, .261 AVG, 6 HR, 1.025 OPS

5. Buck Turgidson

Catcher's gotta catch.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I watched this game. The boos started in the 3rd inning and continued for every bad play thereafter.

I felt sorry for Gerrit. You watching Correa?

Would have Astros fans done the same in a similar situation?

[​IMG]

#3007 jim1961, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    BossHogg713 likes this.
  8. vince

vince Member

Cole became the #1 pick because he’s truly a great pitcher. He had glimpses in Pittsburgh, for the Pirates. But towards the end, the weight was too much and he was a pitcher with an ERA in the 4’s…..

Well the Astros worked their sticky magic into Cole, and he became the Ace, and runner up to the Cy Young.

He parlayed his success in Houston into an enormously massive haul of a contract, from New York. And Cole continued his dominance up until the sticky stuff was gently scrubbed by MLB. Cole is still successful, but he’s not the unhittable pitcher without the sticky stuff.

Yankees fans know it, and they know even they will be hand strung by that contract.

Cole may revert to his Pirates days where he can go up and down, and the Yankees fans are dreading it. Cole is good, but maybe not best of the best good. Though he is paid like the best of the best.

9. vince

vince Member

I like McCullers attitude. The guy was an all world talent coming out of high school, but was humble enough to know he needed to unlock his pride and trust his coaches and support team.

Sure he’s had some tough luck injuries, but he sits comfortably as the Ace of the Houston Astros. Even taking an under market deal with the Astros, will give him time to unlock that potential to Cy Young contender. And his next contract will be substantially higher, and he’s earned it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seems like you're working on Cole's autobiography!

The Pirates tried to make Cole into a ground-ball pitcher. The Astros scrapped that and optimized his power stuff which has led to career high K's, which has continued for the Yankees despite no sticky stuff.

Cole has had to start more games this year against better overall lineups in the AL East (vs. the AL West), but in the end regardless of how great or not so great his numbers are, no pitcher should ever get a 9 year contract at 40 million/year.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Muh-Q just made Georgie boy look real bad on a front door breaking ball to strike him out. I miss them both.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer has done pretty much nothing since his latest injury. He can’t play the field and is flailing at the plate batting leadoff as a DH.

The Jays still winning and in the playoffs so it hasn’t hurt them yet… and maybe he’s just in one of his patented cold streaks that will end up torrid come playoff time (or maybe he doesn’t like being a DH).

vince likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I sometime wonder if batters have the same problem dealing with injuries as pitchers. They change their deliveries/swings to avoid the pain and wind up with additional injuries and bad mechanics. Other times I just wonder if they're having a bad blood sugar day and not seeing the ball well.

I suspect that one thing great batters have in common is GREAT Eyesight to go along with quick twitch reflexes.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He's a YANKEE now. I love seeing it.

15. vince

vince Member

I’d be fuming mad if the Astros would have offered Cole that contract too. That contract can hinder a team for a decade, even if the player performs and meets the expectations.

But obviously no hard feelings for a guy who got paid, while learning under Bret Strom. It’s part of the game. Players are independent contractors, and join whatever team provides them most of their list of needs.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Keuchel has been downright awful this year. Lucky to be 8-9 with those numbers

17. vince

vince Member

No Worries and msn like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only a few games left, so this’ll suffice as the final Former Astros among MLB Top 200 in fwar list:

Position Players:
    33. Teoscar Hernandez
    37. Enrique Hernandez
    89. JD Martinez
    92. Robbie Grossman
    94. Tony Kemp
    104. Josh Rojas
    113. Jonathan Villar
    156. JD Davis
    167. Bryan De La Cruz
    168. George Springer
    191. Abraham Toro