1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Shang-Chi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 4, 2018.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I saw that word salad of a post and it just came off as some sort of overly sympathetic post where the person was just repeating the last thing they were told. That said I wouldn't be surprised if that opinion was accepted in Canada.

I've already spent way too much time on this but I couldn't find any pedo roles for Simu before 2015. Maybe I missed a role but most stuff up to that point was pretty minor.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

*oh you gif*

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Firstly it's probably going to be hard to prove that's even him.

Second, none of what was posted is even that controversial. That opinion gets posted all the time on Reddit, and is generally upvoted. I read the original thread he was responding to, it was a news article about Germany started allowing Pedophiles to confidentially seek therapy without being reported to the authorities.

His opinion isn't something new, it's absolutely true that in most places in the world people that are sexually attracted to minors have no place to go. Maybe it's better, especially for non offending pedophiles to be able to seek confidential therapy or mental help, maybe it would even prevent them from acting on those urges.

I'm not sure about the compassion part, but if it is something they are born with, and they do not act upon it, I don't think they should be grouped and stigmatized with actual criminals that rapes minors.

Duncan McDonuts and Xerobull like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Perception is reality these days when it comes to social acceptance. You're guilty even if you're proven innocent, unfortunately. As I said above, I think if it was Liu, he was just a young jackass for spouting on the internet some deep thinking trying to figure out the world. We've seen that he's very knee-jerk with his social media in his reaction to the 'experiment' comment by Disney execs (which was completely about theatrical release schedule). The guy or Disney needs to hire a PR person to take control of his social media (how many times have we thought this about other celebrities?). Best friends and girlfriends/boyfriends are what these types of deep discussions and rants are for, in private, not a permanent social forum where you can ruin your career.

Not trying to derail this into a D&D thread but there is no place in society for a pedophile. If you have that affliction (via nature or nurture) and can't overcome it, it's time for a short walk off a long pier or at the very least, a terrible accident with some gardening tools. I'm very open to helping people but there's a limit, and that limit is the innocence and integrity of children, which should be held sacrosanct.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

The problem is, Simu isn't a nobody, anymore. He represents a big part of Marvel and most likely wants to also represent Asians.

If it was just some random young actor from Canada, then this won't get any traction in the US. No one would bat an eye.

But because Simu is an important part of the MCU now, it's going to get blown the heck up (if it is indeed him).

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Even Disney can't vet everything.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

Marvel will just give him a slap on the wrist like they did James Gunn.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

#269 Ziggy, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Simu getting torched for stuff feeds subreddits like r/aznidentity, and those guys are idiots.

12. dmoneybangbang

Liked it a lot…. Thought the “ villain” was good.

Thought it was better than Black Panther in the “ethnic marvel series”. As I’ve said, still can’t really care about the “end of the world” after the millionth time.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didn't take it as the end of the world I took it as they end of that village for sure though.

14. B-Bob

We actually need some movies to lower the stakes for once.

15. dmoneybangbang

The village was protecting the gate which was holding the Soul Sucker back from attacking Earth after their world fell.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Ant-Man, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Black Panther (kind of), and Spider-Man: Homecoming all had lower stakes, some much lower (Homecoming, for example, is about some street thugs potentially getting Chitauri small arms which are a bit more powerful than regular guns, not exactly end of the world stuff).

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sure, maybe the world would have fallen 10,000 years ago or whatever, but in the MCU, it's safe to say some other hero would have taken care of it pretty quickly. Perhaps even Wong all by himself. That's how it computes in my mind.

Nobody that has been watching MCU movies is really thinking, geez, if this thing gets past these defense, that's the ball game.

Really it was just losing that village that me as the viewer felt was truly at stake. Especially worried about those cute lion-bisons and winged-ottomans.

18. B-Bob

I agree and was thinking of a couple of those. I found them no less entertaining for not having the whole world or universe in the balance. Would you agree? (Okay, I didn't love Ant-Man and the Wasp, but not because the stakes. But I thought Winter Soldier was a great one.)

19. dmoneybangbang

There’s just been so many marvel movies that the stakes have been completely watered down in my opinion. Hopefully they are building up to something with The Eternals.

It was a good movie regardless.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It wasn't even unpopular. It got 300 upvotes and reddit gold. Just sounds bad when it's outta context

Ziggy likes this.