1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Waaaaaay too soon to know what he will become at this point. He looks lost out there. But, that’s what I would expect from a rookie QB with little experience even at the college level.

He wasn’t drafted in the first round for a reason. He has the raw physical tools to be a good QB. But, he is a project.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Well at least he doesn’t sexually assault women… so that’s an improvement…

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I've seen veteran QBs and RBs look lost on handoffs. I suspect it was nerves more so than not knowing the playbook.

4. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Has charges even folly filed? Just a bunch of people running their mouths and idiots take unknown claims for gospel.
    You would find him guilty in your unfair court of opinion.

5. ExTexanNowEastCoast

I said this very thing before the draft but was poopooed for it.

Look at Darnold with the Panthers VS the Jets. Jets are the worst NFL franchise and probably in the top 5 worst sports franchises in North America. They are a joke, and everyone in NY knows it.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And you would make any excuse for him to assault women because he’s good at football.
    Pathetic

eric.81, raining threes and King1 like this.
  7. conquistador#11

First NFL regular season performance.
    Watson: 1Td, 1 int with 102 yards.
    Mills: 1td, 1int 102 yards

It was written?

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Watson was also really really good in college.

Fulgore likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes he was, Mills was number 1 recruit out of high school too. Talent is there

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yea agree - in review, I may have been hasty with what I said earlier in this thread,.. More than anything I’m frustrated that he doesn’t play faster because I think he can and maybe it’s just experience…I appreciate the Texans effort - no doubt we would have seen a closer game but the Texans still showed absolute effort and Tim Kelly maximized what he could

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Reading NFL defenses is tough, especially with his lack of experience. He shouldn’t be put in a situation he’s not ready for, but that’s exactly what the organization has done to him. Hopefully he’s a lightning fast learner because I can’t think of many other quarterbacks who have been pushed into a starting roll this early in their careers with such limited college playing experience.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, no. Watson has put him in a bad spot. The Texans signed an elite backup in Taylor. And OP really does consistently bring some **** takes.

raining threes likes this.
  13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The transition to the speed of the game in the NFL is hard on even the most decorated college passers. Hopefully he can make the adjustments. Time will tell... you kinda wish you could combine Matt Schaub's brain with Mills' physical skills.

14. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Mills is definitely not the answer. Whether he is in the league in a few years can’t be answered today but he ain’t the Texans long term guy. My takeaway is what a shame it is Taylor can’t stay healthy because he could have had a much better career. Next year’s draft looks terrible for QBs.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Meh. I have my fair share, as we all do. I'd like to think I provide some decent perspective here at times too. There's certainly been times where I've posted a controversial take that I may not have fully believed in just to get conversations started here...

I agree that he has long term potential, but he looked terrible out there today. I'm sure it was some sort of combination of nerves, extreme lack of experience and not fully knowing the playbook.

Mostly, I'm frustrated that he seemed so lost out there on the first two series. He actually got a little better as it went on.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but I don't have a ton of long term hope for him. He'll probably end up somewhere in between Tom Savage and a decent career backup.

At least we will know as a franchise what we need to do moving forward once the season is over.

raining threes and TheFreak like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

So was Garret Gilbert.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Is TJ Yates available?

juanm34 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And?
    He’s had a lot more time than Mills.
    Some of you are writing him off before he even gets a shot.
    But didn’t write off Watson when he struggled. And then wanting a washed Cam, it’s funny.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

No, it's just a talent and experience thing. Mills has some of one but none of the other (since HS).

PS: it took Gilbert ~5 years in college and then ~6 pro years to become a functional backup in the NFL.

I hope our guy is better, love your optimism.

#39 Buck Turgidson, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so too.
    And to be fair, you haven’t written him off after a half a game and some preseason.
    Others have, it just seems weird.

Buck Turgidson likes this.