1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021/22 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Jul 23, 2021.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

That is awesome. Should be a blast since you will be in London and Manchester. My brother and I are Chelsea and City fans respectively and have been talking about doing this for some time. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

leroy likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cheers, mate, thought you were a chopper flying all over Europe.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You must have me mixed up with @AroundTheWorld somehow...

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Enjoy the trains, take the express from Manchester to London....

Great game today - nice to see Lingard in there contributing again.

DD

ferrari77 and Yung-T like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Do y'all know what the rules are(if there are any) about posting articles from a subscription based site like The Athletic?
    There's a pretty good and hilarious Zlatan article that I would post in its entirety but I don't want to break any CF rules on stuff like that.

Here's the link for those that have a subscription

Inside Zlatan Ibrahimovic's wild MLS exploits – The Athletic

Jontro and Aware like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was not sure there was a rule or just a matter of who could view it and who could not.

Oh dang, there was not logging into CF again.

8. Raz

Raz Member

Hilarious results tonight. There's a new Sheriff in town.

Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and ramotadab like this.
  9. Aware

Aware Member

Has to be the biggest upset in club competition history, no?
    Mighty real madrid losing at home to a team from an unrecognized region in Moldova lmao

The spanish press was having a field day laughing at Sherriff before the game. There is a clip of a spanish reporter asking a peruvian player from sheriff if they were all fully professional or do they have jobs on the side lol pricks

Get ****ed

In this house we respect the sheriff

#129 Aware, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. DaDakota

RONALDO FTW !!!!!!!!

All of Ole's late subs in on that.

Fred cross to Ronaldo to Lingard, back to Ronaldo - GOAL !!!!

WOW - big win in Champions league.....

DD

Jontro likes this.
  11. leroy

But way WAY too difficult. There were plenty of opportunities to win that game earlier. Ronaldo and Sancho were both piss poor on the ball all night. Passing was bad. They were lucky for De Gea who kept them in the game...a man that I'm sure wanted revenge from the Europa final last season. They absolutely had to get 3 points from this game and would be great if they could move to the top with a win against Atalanta the next time out.

Telles' goal was an absolute thing of beauty...which is great because he held the Valencia player on for their goal.

Ole has got to figure out why they can't get the first goal. Last season it was a neat story. This season, it's gotten beyond annoying and cannot continue. The subs worked out weirdly but I can't imagine how or why he came up with McTominay, Fred, and Matic on the field at the same time. The difference in this game was Cavani. His energy was infectious. Lingard did well and nearly scored just a minute before. I'm also not too sure that he didn't intentionally pass that ball to Ronaldo for the winner. If so...BRAVO!

DaDakota and ramotadab like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The sheriff shot you...but he didn't shoot the deputy...

Aware likes this.
  13. Raz

Raz Member

@leroy you owe us a report from your stadium trip.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. leroy

I'll start with this. As an American sports fan, we are not fans. I am still blown away at the level of passion I witnessed at both games. I'll freely admit that I cried a little when the Astros won the World Series. I partied for days when the Rockets won both of their titles. But to see these Mancunians before, during, and for HOURS after an early season 0-1 loss to a team that's no where near a rival singing, chanting, and drinking was like nothing I've ever seen. The chills I got walking up the steps into Old Trafford are indescribable. My Arsenal fan friend who was with us said that going to Emirates was #1 on his bucket list. Going to Old Trafford was never on mine because I really never considered the possibility. Being the in the Trafford Pub pre-game was a crazy experience. We didn't understand why they were checking our tickets to go in the pub that had nothing to do with the game. Turns out it was because they don't allow anyone from the away section in to the pubs for safety reasons. A kid I was talking to after the game at the same pub told me he likes to purchase the half and half scarves for every game he attends. A literal hooligan came up to him and whispered in his ear to put it away quickly or bad things were going to happen.

The Arsenal v. Tottenham game was on yet another level because of the rivalry. I've never heard a noise like the one when they scored their first goal...and their second...and then their third. Walking out of the Tube at the Arsenal station, there were some Spurs fans. Shortly thereafter, we were getting a burger from a stand on the street (what the f*** is the deal with burgers in England? They have them EVERYWHERE and they're terrible). There were a group of cops close by that got a call to change positions to essentially protect this same group of Spurs fans as they were completely surrounded. Even though I had to take 4 showers after having been in that stadium and shopping in their team store, it was an experience I'll never forget and will probably never be able to recreate. And I was at Game 5 in 2017.

We'll never know the passion and the love these people have. Our teams are franchises. Created out of thin air with a franchise fee and with no previous connection to the community they're in. These clubs started as amateur sides over a century ago in neighborhoods and have an absolute connection to everything in their part of the city. I love my Astros, Rockets, and to a far lesser extent the Texans. I am a huge USMNT supporter and my passion for United has only grown over the last few years even though I've been following them since Ryan Giggs came up (before that as a kid, I was an Ajax and Liverpool fan. I grew up and was schooled on Total Football, Frank Rijkaard, Marco Van Basten, and Ruud Gullit. I loved watching Ian Rush play).

TLDR: It was f***ing awesome.

EDIT: I do kinda feel a little robbed with the United win yesterday. What I would've given to have seen a similar scenario in person. Instead, I got Bruno's pk that I'm not sure has landed yet.

ramotadab, Jontro, Raz and 6 others like this.
  15. DaDakota

Another draw at home from a winning position.

I am convinced that we have TOO many players now, we need to send some out on loan, Ole is trying far too hard to keep players like Martial happy.

Don't....pick your team....loan out those that aren't really going to play......Lingard, Martial for example.....we need a shortened roster where chemistry can develop....I am not sold on Sancho either.

DD

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Absolutely disgusting how many PL fans are celebrating the Saudi murder gov becoming the Newcastle owners.

Saw it in some unrelated discords I was in as well, the new generation of fans in England&France care more about entertainment than any kind of tradition or morals.

Raz likes this.
  18. Raz

Raz Member

That's why I detest PL and most of their fans. Selling out for some of the world's worst individuals with no shame whatsoever.

Of course they're already barking at each other.

Jontro, AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

you should've recorded it and done a full 45 min youtube summary

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

y dey mad doe? i'd be delighted if a ridiculously rich oil sheik bought the team from the tillmen.

daywalker02 likes this.