1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Do they actually give it to you when you walk in to Walgreens or do you have to lie and say its the first?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Essentially lying. Every provider should already provide a Pfz booster if you said you have a weakened immune system. They will soon also provide booster for 65+ and those deem high risk of serious illness (those criteria are always a bit murky).

But technically... (not endorsing this!) if you completed Pfz, it would be your first J&J or Moderna vaccine. And other ways around.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My sister got J&J through work back in March. Her doctor gave an order for her to get a booster because she’s treated with immunosuppressant drugs, but the hospital turned her away when she honestly reported that she took the J&J. She’s pretty frustrated, and I don’t blame her. She doesn’t want another J&J booster — she wants the mRNA. But J&J is reluctant to gather/release data that might support this. And she’s reluctant to lie to the clinic.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. durvasa

Putting a mask on a child is not child abuse. Neither is feeding a child vegetables. Young children will cry and pout. That’s what they do. Strangely, that’s what an increasing number of adults also do these days.

MrBear1, Ottomaton and J.R. like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's child abuse but it's a waste of time. They won't keep them on. My kids' daycare has a 2+ mask policy but it is impossible to enforce, unless you want the entire day to be teachers wrestling with kids' masks.

ElPigto likes this.
  7. durvasa

I think you’re probably right. Might be useless for kids that age — or even worse than useless if it’s causing them to touch their faces more than they would otherwise as they fidget with the mask.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Meh, kindergarteners are pretty militant about mask wearing IMO. Better than most adults even. It just depends.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is no data out there so she's on her own. But I know people have done it. They simply start a new series of mRNA vaccine and skip the 2nd shot.

This virologist did it.

Personally, it would be an easy call for me.

EDIT - there is some data on mix/match, but not much.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3874014

durvasa likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My kindergartner will wear it for a while without issue, but my 2 (almost 3) year old is more of a wildcard - sometimes she's good about it, sometimes not. I'm sure some 2 year olds wear it fine but I would bet that is the exception - especially when asking them to wear it for a full 8-9 hour day of daycare.

I just think if you are a daycare teacher with eight 2 year olds, it's going to be impossible to strictly enforce proper mask wearing.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

3rd shot for moderna is my preference although I took two shots of Pfizer vaccine. But there is no data over there to support that this is a good option, so there is a concern for me to take moderna right now, but I can wait.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Have to shift from local, individual strategery to long term global. Boosters in the USA being delayed when you have breeding grounds of variants that will just keep blasting us every few months from abroad seems reasonable.

Shift vaccine to prescription and individual case based. It's easier to get a vaccine than cold medicine. That's great for a warp speed emergency roll out but we are beyond that stage.

14. cdastros

cdastros Member

LabMouse and B-Bob like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

ElPigto and LabMouse like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. Commodore

18. Commodore

B-Bob and durvasa like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Which generic vaccine did they take?

20. durvasa

So, per million, that would be 140.3 new cases for the most recent data point. For the US, the current 7-day average of new cases is 213.3 per million.

And Singapore has a population density of 8358 per square km (more than 200 times denser than the US, and among all US cities only NYC has a denser population). AND ... Singapore does more testing per capita and has in place comprehensive contact tracing. Seems to me that they will catch more positive cases for people who are asymptomatic.

So, what can be concluded from all this? That mask mandates don't help reduce spread? That vaccines don't work? No, and no.

NewRoxFan, No Worries and Commodore like this.