1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Then the President of the Congress would just certify it without him. Maybe Turley said, you don't have to certify but it would get certified anyway.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great shirt! I wouldn't wear that in Texas though with all the gun toting radical MAGA cult. Might get shot.

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or more than likely the issue they saw was Chief Justice Roberts. Even if Pence locked himself in the sh$tter, Kevin McCarthy or Gym Jordan called for a vote, the parliamentarian freaked out, and got bullied into counting the votes which gave Trump the majority of votes.... Chief Justice Roberts could very well have taken measures to not recognize a lawful certification process even if it technically checked the box of being Constitutional.

The only thing that legitimizes someone as President is the swearing in reality. I don't think Trump, and Roger Stone, and Alex Jones really so much cared for that though. I think they were hoping for chaos on the floor after Pence pouted, McCarthy or Gym Jordan to find a way to have some sort of sham vote, and then for Trump to just claim to be President, and hope that the government would eventually recognize him with or without Robert's swearing in.

I'll just clarify again that I'm not really fearful of the legality of what they could have done. I'm just commenting on the chaos that they were obviously going for had Pence simply done what Trump wanted him to which was to pout, and cause a scene.... which then triggers what I'm talking about... the Gym Jordan show.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll disagree with this. That is if "opportunistic" is some sort of synonym for "arbitrary." I think he is pretty fairly consistent in his reasoning as well in his criticisms (at times) of the Trump administration's policies.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Doubt, confusion, chaos. At the end of the day, there is enough created smoke for 70+% of Republicans to believe the election was stolen. If we wanted to, we could have blown away that smoke. But Republicans politicians and scholars like Turley, who may believe it's dangerous, believe it's not worth clearing because there are certain rights that they cherish too much or self-interest that are too important to let go.

Anyway, none of this would happen if we didn't elect a dangerous idiot as POTUS. The most disappointing and damaging thing is we are on a path to repeat. Let's try it again. Maybe 2nd time will be the charm.

dobro1229 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I respect your opinion. But there are articles where he stretches things so thin that it is beyond reason. Some of his comparisons ignore facts that would be detrimental to the point that he is making. That is fine for trying to make a point. But it isn't an academic examination of the evidence which led to the conclusion. It is having a chosen conclusion and then cherry picking information to fit that conclusion. Turley is by no means the only person to do this, nor even the worst offender. But in my opinion, it points to him choosing a conclusion that will get clicks and revenue over honest analysis.

I understand that I might be wrong and don't at all fault you for disagreeing with me about Turley. I used to be a huge Turley fan.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

his defenses of free speech are the thing I'm most drawn to, I am more agnostic towards his takes on other subjects

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Trump allies are pathetic.

FranchiseBlade and IBTL like this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

One thing about that is I can shot back.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm just putting this here...

Screenshot_20210918-142526_Twitter.jpg

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

lol at these undercover feds at the entrapment rally

13. conquistador#11

Why no bigly crowds when the hate speech is still popular and rising. Is it just too soon after Jan 6th to show up and fear getting arrested by the fedbois?

14. HardenVolumeOne

how can anyone who loves america, and is apart of the middle-class support joe biden

Astrodome likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I want to see if you are willing to have a good faith conversation.

I'll give you sincere reasons why Trump has support and no not because "people are evil".

Here is sincerely why people like Trump and the GOP or at least the Trump wing of the GOP. I think that wing of the GOP is really effective in providing an identity and a sense of belonging to a poor to middle class blue collar white individual and community. I think it's a desire that every human has so there is nothing inherently evil about it. Especially with the increased wealth gap not just with minorities but with poor white blue collar and menial workers, when life is difficult, life can be somewhat easier to cope with when you have that sense of identity and purpose. So these patriotic flag waving rallies do that. I understand why people from these communities get extremely outraged when a black person kneels for the flag or "disrespects it". It's because to them that flag is a core part of their identity.

Trump is really good at speaking to these people. He shows a certain outward empathy for their tribe even if I think his actual policies hurt them in the long run. They sincerely believe he is fighting for them because he acknowledges all their cultural views and these people believe their culture is being washed away because the free market, the press, entertainment is rejecting their cultural views. When that happens, it can be scary and confusing.

Why do you think people like me voted for Biden? Can you show some empathy and try to understand why?

#3775 fchowd0311, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    subtomic and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The answer to that first sentence is no. The guy is brainwashed and needs to get off social media for a few months if he is to ever recover.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Because he's not Trump. He's not a psychopathic liar who lied over and over and over about the risks of Covid putting millions at risk. Because he didn't lead millions to revolt against masks and social distancing while hundreds of thousands of AMERICANS were dying. Because he plead for people to wear masks while Trump bragged about his crowds of maskless morons gathered at his fundraisers. I could go on and on, but one thing is certain. Trump is a Sociopath/ Psychopath. He ticks all the boxes. Trump did nothing but kill hundreds of thousands from his lies and propaganda by making not wearing masks a sign of Republican loyalty like some psycho Jim Jones Cult leader.

DaDakota and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. HardenVolumeOne

orange man bad

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure Trump would argue he was the President of Congress.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

[​IMG]