1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Series Finale tonight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaBeard, Sep 16, 2021.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Tonight after 8 seasons (2013-2021) Brooklyn Nine-Nine will have it's final show.

What are your thoughts on the last season and the show in general???

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly had no clue it was still on. Was ok in the early years on fox.

network tv sit coms seem marked for extinction…

Sajan likes this.
  3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Recent events have made it tough for the show to continue. This season tried to straddle the line between being conscious of social justice and police reform with cops yukking it up. It had some funny moments, but overall It was pretty awkward. Still a great show though.

I am back to watching zero network TV shows.

#3 DCkid, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

This season just felt...off.

It mirrors Game of Thrones - every season besides the last were really good. This last season just ain't it.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...I had no clue it was still on.

6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Yep the only funny episodes this season were the Boyle family farm episode and the Doug Judy one.

7. Poloshirtbandit

Haven't really cared for this season but still sad the see the show end.

8. Buck Turgidson

I will miss Captain Holt, just an awesome character and acting job.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think i'm still at season 5 or something. and santiago can get it.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Really this much dislike for the final season? I agree it was different but to me it came with bad and good, the real issue I have is with NBC and maybe partially the creators. To agree with a 10 episode final season and then have the last two be a 2-part episode just made it feel way too short. We did not get a proper send-off to be honest. I'm not the biggest fan of the last two episodes either, mainly because there was a big focus on the "perfect goodbye" - cliche - Pimento's cameo was not as advertised and basically unworthy, no O'Sullivan and besides the twists with the heist and one I will not spoil, it felt like it didn't have enough drama to be a tear jerker (think Friends, HIMYM & Scrubs) and not enough comedy either.

That being said, the season had a great opener where it touched upon real life issues in a great way that felt true to the 99 show and give it a proper amount of attention, emotion and storyline through various characters. John C McGinley as the union chief was a genius move and honestly should've been in sooner. This season to me had the funniest episode at the cabin and some of the best acting moments for a lot of them. Also for better or worse, I liked the Hitchcock in Brazil on an iPad shtick though their back and forth was one of my favorite parts and not having that in the final season just felt wrong. Also no episode where Pimento got his due felt wrong, also because the back-and-forth between him and O'Sullivan would've been epic. The game of Boyles episode was also very creative and I liked how they balanced the drama, the real life covid, BLM and police matters and the crazy.

Overall I like the show a lot, but will always feel it did not quite live up to its potential somehow. Gina in particular was a nuisance, white woman talking like she's ghetto / black or whatever just didn't work for me for 5/6 seasons. I was happy when she just became a cameo. I also felt the show could've done more to branch out and truly make us feel like Captain Holt could've been replaced or someone could be fired etc. I loved that female captain they had at the beginning of season 7 I believe. She should've stayed on a bit longer. Also A little bit more dirty cop stuff and not from the guests, which was pointed out in a review a while ago, and it's crazy they always make the guests the corrupt ones. Would've been very daring to have Jake or someone do something corrupt and be truly shunned for it for a while. I think Pimento should've been staple instead of the Gina and more the role of the Vulture, like the crazy detective that messes up their cases.

All in all it was an entertaining show that tried to balance the comedy with the drama, which did not manage to be up there with the greats like Scrubs, which did it almost perfectly, but definitely held its own and glad it came back after being cancelled. It was a fun ride. 99!

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

What a glorious two-parter to end the series.

First half was basically fanservice and the second half was your typical B99 heist episode but with a genuine heartwarming ending.