1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it fishy Rich Paul is advising both Wall and Simmons to sit out until traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glimmertwins, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think in a perfect world Rockets would ask Wall to be a mentor, accept fewer minutes, but play in games enough to show the league he's healthy and still got it, and wait to see if any team gets desperate enough to bite. Unfortunately both teams know that with Wall's injury history, the risk is too great something happens and even if its a small thing like an ankle sprain, he probably becomes even more untradeable (if that's possible).

Second best thing is for Wall to be a "healthy scratch," be a mentor from the sidelines, but keep on working out with the team while we wait for trade scenarios to open up. If I'm Wall, this isn't the worst scenario, as long as there is a resolution at the trade deadline. Who cares about missing some regular season games, it's all about the playoffs at this point. This allows him to wait and see what is the best landing spot for him. It's kinda like what JJ Redick is doing, except he is a free agent out there not getting paid while he waits for a good situation.

2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Who said he was getting traded this season? Rockets are in NO rush. THIS IS NOT A BEN SIMMONS situation. What don't you get? They have a mutual agreement for him to sit.(which was likely to happen anyway due to him being injury prone.)

We would be doing them a favor because John Wall can actually shoot something unlike Ben, also only has 2 years left on his deal. Stop watching BSPN where they "claim Rockets have to give up assets to trade him". Rockets will look for a spot for him but won't cave to pressure and take a bad deal by giving up more 1st like they did with Westbrook. Rockets will not be giving up any draft compensation. Why would you when you are trying to tank? Unless the picks are heavily protected in which case it must be to show face like Morey is actually trying to get something of value.

No need to rush, can't trade him just to trade him, just because he wants it. lol

tycoonchip likes this.
  3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

You’d have to be a serious homer to believe Wall is an upgrade over Simmons :D

Dacamel likes this.
  5. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Whoa I never said that....You make some serious assumptions. Wall is a better shooter than Ben thats about it. If not a better shooter then at least not scared to miss. I don't envy Morey he may be in a worse situation than when he tried to run from trading Harden.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, class act, sitting in your house making 40m, extending your career by resting and healing. Classy.

hakeem94, mikol13 and amaru like this.
  7. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Ben Dubose himself is classy at least

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

But John Wall isn't afraid to shoot the damn ball. How are you scared to do something you get paid to do?

Ramo$e likes this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

That’s a great question that Simmons needs to be able to answer. He got exposed this year, no denying that. But he’s still better than Wall…and it isn’t close.

D-rock likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean I wouldn't be shocked but one sit out (Simmons) is to force his current team's hand and get him traded ASAP while the other sit out (Wall) is probably more about keeping Wall from getting injured and/or lowering his value with piss poor play. Either way his clients (and him) get paid.

If he's smart, Rich Paul should orchestrate a trade that gets both of his clients to the West Coast...maybe even on the same team.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think you overstate how bad off John Wall is - putting up 20/3/7 in his first 40 games post Achilles injury isn’t awful - especially when you see he had to play himself back into game shape and was generally pretty off his first 15ish games. He shot at a low percentage but so does Westbrook and it’s still significantly higher than Simmons percentage. Wall is not a positive value contract but neither is Simmons and that’s the point here.

hakeem94 and NewAge like this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

I’m not saying that Simmons is a positive contract, it’s obviously that he isn’t. I’m simply countering the ridiculous narrative that Wall is anywhere near as good as Simmons….he just isn’t, and that’s ok. If you aren’t saying that Wall is as good as Simmons then disregard.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

"good” is a broad term, but generally, yes, Wall is better than Simmons simply because he can create and that’s the most valuable commodity in the league. Wall is not one of the top creators, while Simmons is one of the best facilitators/3rd options. So Simmons is better at what he does than Wall, but what Wall does is more valuable. Comparing them is not straightforward it’s like comparing Steve Francis (another very flawed #1) and Shane Battier. Who is better? not an easy comp, but no question at all who is Franchise and deserve max money and who doesn’t.

Now on top of all that basketball stuff you have some serious disparity in mentals and character. Does that count for who is better? I don’t know, but certainly counts towards who is more valuable.

So altogether we can discuss who is "better’ all day long, but Wall has higher "trade value", right now, hands down.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. amaru

amaru Member

Lets just agree to disagree.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Morey does this trade he deserves to be fired. Imagine going from Harden to Lotto pick+Brogdon to John Wall lol.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah man. Im one of the biggest Simmons critics but you off the chains if you think Wall has better trade value than Simmons.

D-rock and amaru like this.
  17. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

You haven't done any research. The real problem and the constant theme is toxic people like you who make these slanderous false claims to drag a brother down. Those that actually think with their mind and not hate know this is more brain dead foolishness and thread should he locked and deleted tbh.

18. hakeemthagreat

He's not better than John Wall lol. He's more athletic and has more size, but he's completely useless on offense. John Wall is atleast serviceable on BOTH ends of the floor.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I like your idea. Thompson is an expiring $9.7 million contract. Barnes has one of those great deals that declines from year to year and big enough to make this work, $20 million this season and about $18 mil. next year, when it'll be an expiring contract. Bagley III? Who knows what we have there. He isn't what the Kings hoped he would be as the 2nd player picked in the 1st round 3 years ago.The 2024 1st we got from the Bucks is likely to be very low in that round. I don't know what protections it has, but I assume it has some.

Like @Nook, I'd be very surprised if the other teams would go for it, but one is Sacramento (so who knows?) and Morey could be getting a little hot under the collar to do something. It isn't a terrible "get" for the Sixers, actually.

Nook and steddinotayto like this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know any team stupid enough to want both those guys. Maybe minnesota but I doubt that even. We get Kat, Philly gets Russell...

hakeem94 likes this.