1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. I don't know why All-Star appearances is a litmus test of how great a player is in 2021 but, if we're counting, Lowry has made 6 All-Star appearances.

2. Lowry got paid because the perception is that he brings intangibles to a team--toughness, leadership, steady and consistent play, etc. What intangibles has anyone ever written about Wall that adds to his valuation?

3. If he's still a star and you'd take him at 31 for 2 years....then why trade him? It's true that we have young rookies that has high potential but isn't winning the ultimate end game in pro sports? If he's as good as you're gassing him to be then why are we trading him at all?

Ultimately this isn't about a Wall vs. Lowry decision or a Wall vs. any point guard decision--it's about whether or not taking on a $45 million player/contact will help your team win. If the Mavericks are dumb enough to trade us Porzingis for Wall I'm not going to turn that down but we're talking about Billy King levels of stupidity here.

eric.81 likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

I am all for John Wall being THAT dumb to think he has that kind of impact on a team/franchise. Unfortunately, I don't think Wall is THAT dumb.

TimDuncanDonaut and eric.81 like this.
  3. Xopher

Xopher Member

I don't disagree. I'm just saying if he wants to be traded this year that is the only way it is happening. He can't have both. Get traded this year and keep his money for next year. I don't blame the man for wanting the cash

eric.81 likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wall wants to part ways but hasn't asked to be traded. OK. WTF does that mean? I'm gonna tell my wife I want to part ways - but that I'm not asking for us to break up. Will report back and let yall know how that goes.

Rocket River and NewAge like this.
  5. steddinotayto

Stone will either find a landing spot for Wall that won't screw Houston over or he'll go back to Wall and Rich Paul and say "I've tried my best to find a deal that won't screw either parties but there's nothing there. So we either start working on a buyout or John will have to sit for this year as well as next year until someone wants to trade for his expiring contract" if Wall really wants to play basketball again he'll have to look at a buyout. If Wall don't give two sh*ts about where he plays he'll take his money and be a free agent in 2023, either signing up to play for the vet minimum (because who in their right mind is going to give him a lot of money after sitting out for 2 years?) to stay in the NBA or go overseas and secure the bag there.

hongxingli, eric.81 and Xopher like this.
  6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Bad contract aside, what you'd be getting with Porzingis is a guy who's really tall (Shawn Bradley was really tall also), who has a history of missing games due to being injured, who, despite his size, is a poor rebounder, does not play well in the paint (he was totally outplayed by Boban Marjanovic in the playoffs) and is a defensive liability if he's playing out in space due to his poor lateral movement. Other than that, he'll be a steal. The Mavs would love to get his contract off the books but there are NO takers. With Wall, the Mavs would be trading one bad contract for another which could prove fatal considering that their cap situation gets really bad once Luka's max contract kicks in.

NewAge and steddinotayto like this.
  7. steddinotayto

Wall wouldn't move the needle much for Dallas either. Averaging 20 and 7 after multiple injuries is admirable but it was on 40% shooting with a 31.7 usage rating, basically he had the green light to do whatever he wanted on the team. What you're getting is a less efficient version of a player that's already on their roster (Tim Hardaway Jr) but taking up 1/3 of a team's cap space.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Apparently, most, if not all, GMs in the league disagree with you. Miami could have just as easily had Wall as Lowry. Wall is no longer and all-star caliber player and is going to make 92 million over the next two years. Nobody is going to trade anything for him. We will have to take back at least one bad contract and probably give up a pick to get rid of him.

CVcrew and steddinotayto like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He wouldn't be the first. Oladipo, Schroder, just to name a couple recently.

11. steddinotayto

Those guys were going into free agency whereas Wall still got one year at $45 million left. If Vic or Schroder had a player option like that I highly doubt they would have turned it down.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't see the difference. Those guys turned down multi-year guaranteed money, thinking they could get more. Wall in his case would turn down one year's salary (and go into FA market earlier) to seek a larger amount of guaranteed money.

13. steddinotayto

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't think Wall is dumb enough to turn down $45 million because he thinks that, at the age of 32 coming off a ruptured Achilles tendon and a history of injury history, he can get a long-term extension that would be worth more than the $45 million he's giving up...especially if he's prepared to sit out the upcoming season thereby losing any chance of him increasing his value.

Rocket River and Asian Sensation like this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

#395 hlmbasketball, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That was a waste of time. Thanks Zach Lowe for stating the obvious.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You want to see the ultimate cilck-bait/letdown :

At the bottom of the article I see this :

[​IMG]

So I say, O RLY?! and click, only to get an article with this title :

[​IMG]

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Easy and 4 others like this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I fell for it. Tired of this crap.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

We all know his contract is hard to move. I say explore but don't force it. ...Likely just wait it out. It's two more years. Don''t take on another longer bad contract.

Silas and Stone should prepare to say to Wall: 'hey, no takers from other teams, we'll still pay you handsomely, but you may be getting limited minutes. '

Honesty is best.

I eyeroll when head coaches can't decide rotations because of possible hurt feelings. Wall seem like a nice guy, he's a Rocket for one year with load management. House has been here longer than Wall for Pete's sake.

We don't owe Wall anything. If he's getting benched, just decide.

All this dancing around.

An employer should be fair and try to create a nice situation for their employees. But at the end of day, Rockets org is in control. Wall getting paid nicely and not overworked; in most gigs, that's a dream job. Rockets should understand they're not mistreating Wall by not playing him. Players are not owed any minutes. Players earn that with their play and ability to adjust. If he can't, then tough cookie.

There are impressionable young guys here, the coach and gm shouldn't show they are push overs.

No Porzingas, Love or Simmons, just wait it out.

#400 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    D-rock and Y2JT like this.