1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. General Mark Milley guilty of treason?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Sep 14, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It would be a different deal.

Putin would immediately cancel the Moscow Trump Tower.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Real question for all of you defending Milley. Are you comfortable with him doing all this against Joe Biden?

Also is it not dangerous to suggest to China we might attack them soon? What would stop them from preemptively hitting us if they felt it was eminent when a general is doing this?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If Joe Biden loses in 2024 and still is claiming that he won the election and that our election system is fraudulent and inciting his supporters to storm the capitol building, of course. Let's see if he'll do it. I doubt it.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yes or no. Are you OK with a General conspiring against the sitting President?

5. fchowd0311

Reframe and I'll take your question seriously. Such as include the part where Trump after the election results where he lost by millions of votes still claimed he won and that our election system is fake telling a bunch of people who believe the second amendment exists to defeat tyranny that democracy has essentially ended and saying all this stuff for his personal benefit with no care of the lasting damage that rhetoric could have on the nation.

#125 fchowd0311, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Under a hypothetical scenario where the sitting President is going to commit a flagrantly illegal act of aggression abroad? Hell yes.

(sorry for chiming in -- I know the question wasn't addressed to me)

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Milley shouldn't suggest or tell China we are attacking or that we will attack. And he didn't do that. There are some limited exceptions though and I mentioned them earlier (illegal act, crazy nutz, etcs)

What he did was tell China to cool it, everything is alright. The latest reporting is pushing back on earlier reporting. It was not a secret call. He did not say he would give China a head up.

The only NEW news out of this is that China misread and was seriously thinking that the US would attack them. The other news (Trump is unstable) isn't new.

8. durvasa

The entire point of his call was to put them at ease to avoid exactly what you're talking about. What would stop them from preemptively hitting us if they are worried about Trump's increasingly erratic behavior, provocative military exercises near their border, and if our military is not maintaining an open channel of communication with them?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's reminiscent of British intelligence efforts in the 1980s against Soviet leaders like Yuri Andropov. The Kremlin was so obsessed with, and convinced of, its own paranoia that the odds of a Soviet nuclear first strike against the US went up because the USSR was convinced that NATO war games were cover for a first strike. It was only through diplomatic back channels, a well-placed KGB mole and Andropov's death that tensions were dialed down.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ahhh... the irony of you expecting an answer to a question when you cowardly run away rather than answering a question

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Trump was conspiring against the American people in a blatant power grab attempt after pressuring election officials to subvert democracy…it’s a miracle HE* isn’t in jail for treason and conspiracy when we have recordings of this. After a crazy jackass like him already killed hundreds of thousands of ppl with the covid is a hoax stuff I would think anybody with half a brain would make sure he doesn’t kill more

I’m no sleepy Joe Biden fan but Miley was doing what he thought was right , and what many would agree with.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Look what FOX News reports

"But Fox News spoke with multiple individuals who were in the room during the two calls, which took place over video teleconference, not the phone. Officials said the calls were coordinated with the Defense secretary’s office.

"They were not secret," a U.S. official told Fox News. "

So, I assume that means Trump's own defense secretary is a traitor as are all the other ones participating on or aware of the calls

Nook, FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Man that's two consecutive defense secretaries that Trump appointed himself that think the dude is unhinged.

Seems to be a pattern. It must be that Trump chooses defense secretary that have a really low bar for what is unhinged. That's it.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  14. durvasa

It's the DEEP STATE. Everyone is conspiring against Trump. EVERYONE!!

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Milley and Woodward Revisited

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/milley-and-woodward-revisited/

excerpt:

While I agree that there was room for debate as to whether Christopher Miller (who has expressed his outrage over Milley’s purported actions) was lawfully serving as Acting Secretary of Defense pursuant to the provisions of the Vacancies Act, I disagree that it had any bearing here. It’s the job of Congress and the courts to police such matters, not that of military officers or other bureaucrats. Certainly, for Milley to simply appoint himself the De Facto SECDEF (which, I hasten to add, there’s no reason to believe he had) would be far more outrageous than the elected President bypassing his appointed Deputy SECDEF for the Senate-confirmed Director of the National Counterintelligence Center who had previously been Senate-confirmed as Assistant Secretary of Defense.

But, more to the point, Silverman is right that it is normal order for the Secretary of Defense to issue orders to his Combatant Commander through the person of the Chairman. (It’s never been clear to me why that’s the process but it’s been in practice for a very long time.)

Still, in the context of a neither confirmed nor denied story that Milley had reassured Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi that Trump would not be able to launch a nuclear strike without military interference, this still raises a red flag. To be sure, military officers are obligated—as are other government officials—to refuse to carry out illegal orders. But the first military officer in the relevant chain of command here is the commanding general of US Strategic Command, not the Chairman. (While the presumption is that any order coming from the President is legal, I do think that the STRATCOM chief would balk at an out-of-the-blue order to launch a nuclear first strike on China, North Korea, Iran, or whomever and demand more information. And rightly so.)

Again, I fully recognize that Trump was a uniquely bad and dangerous President who never should have had the proverbial keys to America’s nuclear arsenal. Our system is predicated on the commander-in-chief being a decent human being in full control of his faculties and surrounded by a Vice President and Cabinet prepared to have him removed if he is no longer fit. But I continue to think those wishing for our military leaders to appoint themselves the ultimate guardians of the Republic on the basis that Milley seemed prepared to disobey Trump will not be happy for that to become the new norm.
    a lot more at the link, worth reading in full, particularly about Woodward's sloppy reporting history

Nook likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The president is not relevant. If chain of command was breached, then figure out the penalty. If it wasn't, let's move on.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if biden did what trump did, acted like trump and talked like him then i would absolutely be comfortable with it...in fact, i would argue that it would be his duty as an american and a partriot.

trump was and is an unhinged lunatic and post 2020 there was no telling what he was capable of...actually, we saw what he was capable of and its called treason and insurrection.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Chain of command should be breached in instances like those. I’m sure those at the Nuremberg trials got away with that excuse and just following orders

19. durvasa

A risk assessment that motivated the chain of command breach would be relevant in doling out a penalty.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes... In a heartbeat. I've already said this to once to you and you obviously do not have the ability to read the English language.