1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Wall has my respect because of the way he has handled him as a Rocket.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

As Nook said, just not a whole lot out there.

Don’t see a fit roster and/or salary wise: (Majority of the NBA :)) Bucks, Bulls, Celtics, Grizzlies, Hawks, Heat, Hornets, Jazz, Kings, Knicks, Lakers, Magic, Mavs, Nets, Nuggets, Pacers, Pelicans, Pistons, Raptors, Spurs, Suns, Thunder, Timberwolves, TrailBlazers, Warriors, Wizards

Sixers: Have their Ben Simmons problem to deal with; would need a PG if he leaves; no, they aren’t doing Simmons-for-Wall; But they do have one other big contract: Tobias Harris. Not sure if either side would do it. Harris deal one year longer.
    Harris: 21-22: $35,995,950 | 22-23: $37,633,050 | 23-24: $39,270,150

Cavs: Probably not a fit; rebuilding like the Rockets; glut of bigs & guards; Love+Rubio for Wall? Wall-Sexton-Garland? Rubio is expiring; Wall & Love both 2 years remaining but Love is making $31M less. (Love ~$60M; Wall ~$91M) Yeah, I don’t see it.
    Love: 21-22: $31,258,256 | 22-23: $28,942,830

Clippers: Re-signed Jackson & traded for Bledsoe; Kawhi could be out for the year?; Kennard+Morris+one of Ibaka or Zubac? Morris & Kennard aren’t good contracts.

Morris: 21-22: $15,627,907 | 22-23: $16,372,093 | 23-24: $17,116,279
    Kennard: 21-22: $13,347,727 | 22-23: $14,415,545 | 23-24: $15,418,363 | 24-25: $15,418,363(Team Option)
    Ibaka: $9,720,900 expiring
    Zubac: 21-22: $7,518,518 | 22-23: $7,518,518(Team Option)

I guess I’d be surprised if he was moved? Certainly before the trade deadline (or even December 15? when offseason signing restrictions lift) and certainly certainly before the season.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IT was more a joke
    If Miami would do that trade. . . i would cry laughing
    No to Herro for Harden
    No to Herro for Victor O
    but
    Yes to HErro for John Wall???

LMaO

Rocket River

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Will have no choice but to buy him out.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Is he willing to sit for two years? Kevin Love Style

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Had a long day at work and read the title as "John wall on his way to heaven?"

Lol.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

2nd best news of the offseason outside of getting the 2nd pick and trading for Sengun.

I worried Wall would want to play especially considering how he's wanted to prove himself, so for him to just possibly sit out the year and to have it be announced before the season so there isn't any mess about it, all the better. Young guns can play and work together and don't have to worry about Wall getting in the middle of that.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I doubt he gets bought out and I doubt we get anything of value back for him.

But if either goes in our favor then Stone really is the GOAT.

hakeem94, fattz and D-rock like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I can't really see any team wanting to take Wall, and hopefully we aren't willing to give up assets to get rid of him. The good news out of all this is that he's willing to sit out if we can't find a trade. I'd be fine if we paid him all year not to play one minute. It's the best of both worlds, we get to develop our young players without him ruining it, but we also get to keep our trade assets.

hakeem94, DeBeards, jordnnnn and 4 others like this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The terms of any Wall deal/Buyout aside, the best news in all of this is that he isn't going to be on the court. The fact that we will be able to start the season with the KPJ/Green backcourt that EVERYBODY wants is beyond amazing. We aren't going to have to suffer through weeks of watching a disgruntled tank commander.

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Ultimately, PR is all about influencing the narrative. Framing your actions in the best possible light. As you said, nothing the Rockets have done during the rebuild has really required them to sacrifice all that much, but doing nothing wrong is seemingly an improvement over where the team was perceived under Morey.

I was a huge fan of what Daryl did here, and I felt that he was unfairly singled out and criticized by the media and agents for the (overblown) focus on analytics, how he fit into the Moneyball story coming over from baseball, and valuing production over actual players/intangibles. But ultimately, he built up a reputation of not doing right by the players on the roster, deserved or not.

One of the things that is so difficult in being an armchair GM is you don't know what deals they're discussing. Maybe Stone is taking the best deal every time, and it just so happens to line up well. But I think that the common perception in the media is that the packages he got back for Harden, Tucker, and especially Oladipo were pretty light, with the implication that he made some concessions to get them to their preferred destinations. I don't think that's necessarily true, but if they're willing to make that misconception, why bother correcting them, just lean into it.

The way that they handled both Carmelo and CP3 is definitely unforgivable though. These guys have a lot of pull in the league, especially on the young guys who have literally spent their entire lives watching and idolizing them. DeMarcus might be washed up as a player in the league, but the way they handled his situation is miles apart from what they did with Carmelo. In a player controlled league where LeBron is powerful enough to scuttle a vaccine mandate for players just so he can pretend he wasn't vaccinated and keep on selling Nikes, Sprite, and Kias to Republicans, I would prefer to have the BS PR on the side of the Rockets, rather than against them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. korkwerx

korkwerx Member

This news is a win for the Rockets. Hands KPJ the keys to run the offense to see if he can be the point guard for the next great Rockets team. Even if Wall just sits out his whole contract there is no real long term lost for the Rockets except for Tillman’s wallet. We should be patient and not use assets to dump him. I think probably a buyout coming this trade deadline like Griffin.

This season will be loads of losses but be really fun to see the young guys develop. 2008 Thunder with KD and Russ only had 23 wins, got another high pick (Harden) and then won 50 next year. Hopefully Rockets can follow similar path.

We don’t need to be good until we lose our 1st to OKC in 2024. Side note Harden trade was really bad for OKC. They were hoping Harden and Westbrook would age out and we would be bad in 24 & 26 but we will hopefully be good to great then. Also we can be good and use the Brooklyn picks as chips or trade assets. Some solace for the terrible Westbrook trade.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He will not be missed.

15. Landry's Tooth

They will get cap space sooner...

Personally i think Wall/Wiggins isn't far off from Simmons/Harris... they unload contracts a year sooner... Wall isn't a good shooter, but he's not historically bad like Simmons...

My point was to illustrate how difficult it is to make a deal work with 44 million in cap space without taking back more years...

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's 9,625,000 seafood platters.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I want Gary Harris in any deal.

He has a huge $20M expiring contract.

hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  18. HardenVolumeOne

hope the owners fix this in the next cba

19. Landry's Tooth

I think the structure of any Wall deal looks like this...

Playoff team needing point guard
    That team has a player of some use (rotation) on a long term contract and another with 1 or 2 years left of little value.

The player with the long term deal gets moved to a third team for another 1-2 contract.

2 players acquired then get bought out by Houston...

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Please please please please please please please be true.

Please please please please please please please Lord.

luckyman76, hakeem94 and rockbox like this.