1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/09/kavanaugh-protesters-violate-federal-law.php

Kavanaugh protesters violate federal law
    POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 14, 2021 by Paul Mirengoff

Dozens of protesters have carried through on their threat to demonstrate at the home of Justice Kavanaugh because of his vote in the case challenging Texas’ anti-abortion bill. Newsweek reports:

Around 50 to 60 people gathered outside Kavanaugh’s home in Chevy Chase, holding placards demanding that he resign and protesting against the new restrictive abortion law. . . .

The demonstration was largely peaceful and no arrests were made. . .There were a number of police officers present outside Kavanaugh’s home during the protest.

I assume that “largely peaceful” means some demonstrators were not entirely peaceful.

Should these protesters have been arrested. In my view, that depends on what non-peaceful things they did.

However, given the way federal prosecutors are treating non-violent demonstrators who participated in the invasion of the U.S. Capitol on January 6, it can easily be argued that all of the demonstrators at Kavanaugh’s house should have been arrested for violating federal law.

As I discussed in this post, the Jan 6 protesters face federal felony charges for “obstructing an official proceeding” of Congress. The government seems to be leveling, or at least contemplating, this charge even against protesters who did nothing more than mill around peacefully in the Capitol.

The prosecutors thus seem intent on stretching the federal statute criminalizing the obstruction of official proceedings beyond its reasonable contours.

It would require no such stretch to charge those who protested at Kavanaugh’s home with violating 18 U.S. Code § 1507. It states that anyone who “with the intent of interfering with, obstructing, or impeding the administration of justice, or with the intent of influencing any judge, juror, witness, or court officer, in the discharge of his duty, pickets or parades in or near a building housing a court of the United States, or in or near a building or residence occupied or used by such judge. . .shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both” (emphasis added).

I’m not saying the anti-Kavanaugh protesters should be fined or imprisoned, or even arrested. I’m saying that not taking these actions against them seems inconsistent with the treatment of most January 6 protesters being prosecuted by the Biden Justice Department.

To be fair, I should point out that Senate Judiciary Committee members from both parties have denounced the protest at Justice Kavanaugh’s home. They say, correctly in my view, that the families and homes of government officials are not fair game.

Sens. Dick Durbin and Patrick Leahy both took this position. Durbin’s comment was interesting. He said:

When it comes to criminal trespass, we got a belly full of that on January 6th. I don’t care whether you’re right or left, that is unacceptable as far as I’m concerned in expressing your political feelings.

Criminal trespass, or something along those lines, is all the vast majority of January 6 protesters should be charged with.

I hope I’m not being too cynical when I wonder whether Durbin and Leahy are themselves acting “with the intent of influencing” Justice Kavanaugh. After all, he, not Chief Justice Roberts, is now the swing vote on the Supreme Court.

Condemning a demonstration at Kavanaugh’s home seems like a good way to get on the Justice’s good side, or at least off of his sh*t list, where Durbin and Leahy both belong based on their unconscionable stance during Kavanaugh’s confirmation proceedings.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Domestic terrorists and the sheer stupidity of about 35 percent of the US population is much more of a threat to Americans and than any foreign threat.

#3722 rockbox, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    DaDakota, mdrowe00, jo mama and 6 others like this.
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What's weird is that the only way Roe or Casey don't get completely shredded is with Kavanaugh's or maybe Barrett's help.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are being far too cynical. I don't like Kavanaugh at all, but I'm against these kinds of demonstrations at the home of a justice or anyone else in government. There are appropriate venues for protest. The home of this lousy justice is not one of them.

arkoe and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Washington(CNN)Two days after the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, President Donald Trump's top military adviser, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, single-handedly took secret action to limit Trump from potentially ordering a dangerous military strike or launching nuclear weapons, according to "Peril," a new book by legendary journalist Bob Woodward and veteran Washington Post reporter Robert Costa.

Milley had already had two back-channel phone calls with China's top general, who was on high alert over the chaos in the US.

More at CNN link...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/politics/woodward-book-trump-nuclear/index.html

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Thank goodness. We know how unhinged Trump can get when he doesn't get his way. Just look at today. He's still b****ing about how he thinks he actually won the election.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Trump isn't unhinged... Trump is getting as much money as he can from his Golden Geese... As long as the trump base keep sending him money and funding him, he will continue to do and say this stupid stuff.. Trump is an entertainer and he knows you have get as much as you while you can, before the product becomes stale..

T_Man

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am skeptical this really happened. If it did, are you ok with milley's reported conversations with the general Li?

9. fchowd0311

Why wouldn't I be? Anything to ease tensions and prevent escalation.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would guess that telling china that we will give them a heads up if we attack them would be somewhat treasonous. That is why I am skeptical that this conversation happened.

11. fchowd0311

No it wouldn't be treasonous unless you believe the intent by Miley was to benefit China rather than to quell a potential unhinged maniac from escalating tensions right before he is removed from office because he believes he was rightfully elected in an election he lost.

Like are you claiming that Miley is on secret communist agent?

DaDakota and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL so why would America even attack China? for a madman's whim?

mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How else will Trump get all of those tariffs owed to the US?

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Of course not.

Its absurd that the right is so brainwashed our generals get put in these ridiculous situations.

The Republicans are simply not a viable political party anymore.

It was atleast tolerable when all we worried about were terrible policies and reckless spending. Now Democracy is at stake with this nonsense.

IBTL, mdrowe00, Blatz and 3 others like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow... this story is yet another example of how people within trump's own circle worried about how dangerous trump was (is)...

Blatz and Rashmon like this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Taking about pressure. Pence almost got hung by Trump’s goons. He would have not certified the election if he could. Another traitor without principle.

Even though Pence stood up to President Donald Trump in the end, a new book "Peril" reveals that Pence struggled with the decision after four years of intense loyalty.

The book, written by legendary journalist Bob Woodward and veteran Washington Post reporter Robert Costa, details that Pence reached out to Dan Quayle, who had been the vice president to George H.W. Bush, seeking his advice, according to a CNN report.

Quayle is also a former Indiana Senator.

Over and over, Pence asked if there was anything he could do, according to .

"Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away," Quayle told him.

Pence pressed again.

"You don't know the position I'm in," he said, according to the authors.

"I do know the position you're in," Quayle responded. "I also know what the law is. You listen to the parliamentarian. That's all you do. You have no power."

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think I can agree with that at all. On the actual day, much more death, destruction, and suffering on 9/11 than on 1/6. Regarding the fallout to come from each, sure there was some incremental normalizing of a domestic coup to come from the Jan 6 insurrection, but 9/11 started an American 20 year military rampage, a paranoid security state, a domestic surveillance state, a torture state, a conspiracy culture, and a xenophobic nativist culture. You could even draw lines from 9/11 and how we reacted to it to the conditions that made 1/6 possible. It's still easily the worst thing to happen to America since I've been alive.

mdrowe00, Astrodome and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

The line from 9/11 to modern day conspiracies from Covid denialism to fraudulent elections is a near straight line. 9/11 and the reaction to it from the Patriot Act and the Iraq war really eroded trust in government institutions especially because the media was complicit in going along with the Bush admin claims that got us into war.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Do you also doubt Defense Secretary Esper approving backchannel calls because of similar concerns about your lunatic in chief?

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Does it matter? I doubt a lot of things that haven't been confirmed. Many people had concerns about that president from day 1.