1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the Yankees don’t make the playoffs, I’d expect a big front office shakeup over there. All bets off at that point regarding which direction they want to go.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am thinking if they don't get to the ALCS that is likely to happen as well.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

4. SuraGotMadHops

Both perfect timing and bad timing. Perfect in that Grienke steps right in without having to make another roster spot adjustment, but bad in that I wanted to finally see a 6 man rotation to spell the other starters a bit, especially Garcia, to keep them from wearing down on this final grind.

Joe Joe and Bregatron like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Javier finally had an extended outing last night and got a little stretched out. They could tandem him with Javier if they really want to reduce his innings.

Nook likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

This has been my thought process the entire time. Torres is a great young player but hasn’t profiled all that well defensively as a SS. Will be interesting to see given his villain role in NY…their fanbase hates Correa. I’m sure the NYY FO was hoping they wouldn’t have to entertain signing him, but their struggles dictate otherwise.

Man…I would hate to see Carlos in NYY. Hopefully it doesn’t happen, but I think NYY or perhaps PHI makes an unrefusable offer a la Cole.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Or just put Javier in as the 6th starter

Bregatron likes this.
  8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I live in NY area and listen to ESPN radio and The Fan on drive in...the fan base hates Correa (and Altuve) at levels beyond comprehension. It would be hilarious if they tried to sign CC.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

If they sign Correa, their fanbase will quickly forgive.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

They'll love him if he dominates but with just a mini slump, he'll be booed. Especially if that slump is early in the season before he's captured any hearts and minds.

11. The Beard

Yep, as will judge and his idiot teammates

“Altuve is a cheater, cheater judge out of an mvp. Cheating scum”

“Hey Carlos, welcome to the Bronx brother. You will love it here. Let me and Aaron show you around and we can have dinner and drinks and some girls. This is gonna be awesome”

This is how it will go down

Bregatron likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

I'd rather they tandem Javier with Urquidy and move Greinke to the pen. LMJ, Garcia, and Framber are your clear three best starters. Urquidy has been up and down but I think he's been better overall than Greinke who looks flat out washed up this season. Guy needs to overhaul his pitch mix, develop a new pitch, or make some other major change in order to become effective again and that's not happening this season.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Greinke is who he is. When he’s on, he’s great… if he’s a tad off, or makes a mistake, he’s’ completely hittable. He’s right now about where Keuchel was in 2017… he could pitch a gem in game 1 of the ALCS or he could get shelled in game 5 of the WS. Hell, Greinke is who he was in 2019 where people still clamoring for Hinch to have left him in that game 7… despite him not having pitched effectively as an Astro that deep into a game, and barely surviving game 3 of that series or games 1 or 4 of the ALCS.

The rotation will be LMJ, Framber, Urquiddy (if healthy). If he’s not healthy, Garcia gets the nod.

14. Screaming Fist

Garcia has arguably been the Astros' best SP this season. I can't see him not being in the starting rotation for the post-season. I think the decision is between Urquidy and Greinke and I worry Greinke will get it because of his experience and name.

No Worries, rockbox and The Beard like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Urquiddy has started a WS game and minus injury, was performing quite well as a starter this year. Again, if he’s healthy, he’s better than Garcia… who’s biggest concern at the moment is overuse/career high in innings pitched, and showing regression as the season drags on (hence the conversation regarding tandem starts).

Post-season starts are a different beast altogether. If a pitcher gives up a walk in any part of the game, the bullpen gets going. Unless they’re flat-out dominating, they’re unlikely to go past 5. The Astros need all hands on deck regarding their 5-6 starters (including Jake Odorizzi). Starters are going to go less than 5 innings and will give way to other starters out of the bullpen.

I actually like the Astros pitching staff as a modern-day playoff model. No pitcher that demands to be left in due to track record or ego. No pitcher that would be incapable of coming into relief and being lights out. Stanek great with rest (guaranteed in playoffs), Graveman/Pressly as good as any other playoff team’s 8th-9th guys.

HTXSportsAddict and desihooper like this.
  16. The Beard

I wish you were right but I can’t see Dusty not goin with the veteran Greinke. Will say something about how Greinke has done stuff these other guys haven’t done, he deserves his shot

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree that Greinke is either a starter or there’s not much point in having him on the post-season roster. But I would expect him to be on the shortest leash for any post-season start, given a pretty wide disparity of whether or not he’s on or off. I don’t see him getting through through lineups of the White Sox or Rays 2-3 times.

Also I wouldn’t scoff at the post-season experience of the other starters in the rotation. LMJ/Framber/Urquiddy have all started post-season games of high leverage/importance just as much as Astros Greinke… with better overall results.

#1157 Nick, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Framber, LMJ, and Garcia as top 3 starters with Greinke as the 4th. I think Urquidy will get more innings than Greinke as a reliever.

rockbox likes this.
  19. Screaming Fist

Yeah, i'm thinking they end up using Greinke as a glorified opener with the goal of getting through the order once. That's my hope anyway.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think that will be a game where both Greinke and Urquidy are scheduled for 4 innings. Greinke will get the start just because he's been healthy and he's a vet, but will be pulled at a seconds notice. Hopefully, we will support him with runs from the beginning, so he has a longer leash. As bad as last night game was, it not very common where he gives up a ton of runs in a game. He's a pretty dependable give up 2 runs in 6 innings type of guy.